Da Boyz R in da 'hood

Old December 14th 06, 11:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat

Default Da Boyz R in da 'hood

The garden has been taken over. I used to have a lone semi-tame male
pheasant residing in the garden. Well, he was wild but wouldn't run a mile
when I went out to top up the bird food supplies. In the Spring, he'd bring
a couple of ladies along too :-)

Now, he's gone. Da Boyz have taken over da 'hood. I now have a gang of three
male pheasants in the garden. Definitely not semi-tame: they run a mile when
I go out to top up the bird food supplies, but they soon return to their
leisurely struts about the garden, looking out for the nuts & seeds I
sprinkle about the grass and eating their fill. Da Boyz all have slightly
different markings, which means I should be able to start to recognise them
invidivually if they stick around for a while.

Of course, Da Catz love Da Boyz, as the felines sit on the windowsills
looking out into the garden, tails lashing, whiskers out as they tell Da
Boyz with various mutterings of gnashing of feline fangs and noises that are
great Hannibal Lecter impurrsonations of just what they'd like to do to
them.

Old December 23rd 06, 09:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat

Default More of da Boyz R in da 'hood

Good grief! It's pheasant central out there this morning! Da Boyz in da
'hood have increased in number from a gang of three to a gang of six. Six
male pheasants strutting their stuff in the garden and eating their fill of
the nuts and seeds I put out at dawn. The cats are beside themselves with
excitement; particularly Francis who is sat on a windowsill chattering and
slurping and is about to lose his tail through lashing it so vigorously it
must surely fall off...

Old December 23rd 06, 10:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

wafflycat wrote:

Good grief! It's pheasant central out there this morning! Da Boyz in da
'hood have increased in number from a gang of three to a gang of six.
Six male pheasants strutting their stuff in the garden and eating their
fill of the nuts and seeds I put out at dawn. The cats are beside
themselves with excitement; particularly Francis who is sat on a
windowsill chattering and slurping and is about to lose his tail through
lashing it so vigorously it must surely fall off...

That's interesting, that so many males gather in the same place. Do they
look like young birds? I guess at this time of year the rivalry between
them isn't as strong as during the spring. You'll probably have lots of
fights to report then, if they all stay together through winter.

Old December 23rd 06, 10:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat

"Marina" wrote in message
wafflycat wrote:

Good grief! It's pheasant central out there this morning! Da Boyz in da
'hood have increased in number from a gang of three to a gang of six. Six
male pheasants strutting their stuff in the garden and eating their fill
of the nuts and seeds I put out at dawn. The cats are beside themselves
with excitement; particularly Francis who is sat on a windowsill
chattering and slurping and is about to lose his tail through lashing it
so vigorously it must surely fall off...

That's interesting, that so many males gather in the same place. Do they
look like young birds? I guess at this time of year the rivalry between
them isn't as strong as during the spring. You'll probably have lots of
fights to report then, if they all stay together through winter.

Prime male birds. I think it's probably the food that's keeping them
together. It's the time of year when their food is hard to find... but my
garden is stuffed full of bird food of various kinds. I think the need for
food and the fact there's plenty of it in the garden is keeping the avian
testosterone levels down!

Old December 23rd 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Annie Wxill

"wafflycat" wrote in message
.... The cats are beside themselves with excitement; particularly Francis
who is sat on a windowsill chattering and slurping and is about to lose his
tail through lashing it so vigorously it must surely fall off...

Hi Helen,

That image of Francis ogling the pheasants is priceless.

Aren't those pheasants beautiful?

We had a confused young male pheasant court our hens (domestic chickens) one
time. He made sounds like Woody Woodpecker. The ladies were totally
unimpressed.

Annie

Old December 23rd 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat

"Annie Wxill" wrote in message

"wafflycat" wrote in message
... The cats are beside themselves with excitement; particularly Francis
who is sat on a windowsill chattering and slurping and is about to lose
his tail through lashing it so vigorously it must surely fall off...

Hi Helen,

That image of Francis ogling the pheasants is priceless.

:-) He is funny at this time of year, as the cats are indoors a lot and I
put loads of food out for the birds. So much that my husband has made
mutterings about being surprised the birds can still fly as they eat so
much...

Aren't those pheasants beautiful?

I love them. Handsome birds and each has slightly different markings.

We had a confused young male pheasant court our hens (domestic chickens)
one time. He made sounds like Woody Woodpecker. The ladies were totally
unimpressed.

Hehe!

Annie

Old December 24th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CATherine

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 09:02:20 -0000, "wafflycat"
wrote:

Good grief! It's pheasant central out there this morning! Da Boyz in da
'hood have increased in number from a gang of three to a gang of six. Six
male pheasants strutting their stuff in the garden and eating their fill of
the nuts and seeds I put out at dawn. The cats are beside themselves with
excitement; particularly Francis who is sat on a windowsill chattering and
slurping and is about to lose his tail through lashing it so vigorously it
must surely fall off...

Judging by my cats experiences, they must think a pheasant is an
exotic chicken, their favorite food. They are prabably saying yum,yum!

--
CATherine
Old December 28th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

OEJ does this with birds and squirrels both, I think seeing a bird that big
would probably give the poor thing a stroke, Lee