The blind kitten (not a happy ending)

Old June 26th 15, 03:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default The blind kitten (not a happy ending)

My neighbor Serene and her family are being evicted from their
apartment across the street from my house, and I'm moving to Florida
in just over a week. To make matters worse (for me), I'm going to a
family reunion from Saturday to Friday, leaving me just three days to
finish packing a house. There is still a lot to be done. And I just
took in Baby, my fourth cat.

So in the middle of this, I get a call last evening from Serene. She
was driving along a boulevard and saw a kitten that was just being
missed by the cars. Naturally she stopped, and took the three month
old mostly blind kitten and drove toward home, calling me on the way.

Serene, this is really bad timing. I just took in Baby and can't take
a sick blind kitten. When she drove up, one eye was completely closed,
the other was filled with pus. I think it might have been able to see
out of that one. I told her that she had to take it to the North Shore
Anmial League, which is a hospital and adoption place.

But they wouldn't take the kitten without someone paying for it, and
that would be thousands of dollars. So I said that you have to have it
euthanized. It wasn't only blind, it was very sick with some infection
at the very least.

They turned her away, and told her to take it to Animal Care and
Control. So she was driving into Manhattan late last night to the 24
hour ACC center. I didn't hear the finale, but I texted her a little
while ago and asked if she was ok. I haven't heard back yet.

Her heart is huge, but sometimes it's just too much. The kitten likely
would have been better off being hit by a car.
Old June 26th 15, 03:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 10:08:32 -0400, dgk wrote:

Her heart is huge, but sometimes it's just too much. The kitten likely
would have been better off being hit by a car.

Oh, I heard back from Serene. ACC took the kitten - estimated age is
actually around 2 years old! And they're treating her, they didn't put
it down. I am very happily surprised. That is one tiny 2 year old.
Old June 26th 15, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

On 6/26/2015 9:24 AM, dgk wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 10:08:32 -0400, dgk wrote:

Her heart is huge, but sometimes it's just too much. The kitten likely
would have been better off being hit by a car.

Oh, I heard back from Serene. ACC took the kitten - estimated age is
actually around 2 years old! And they're treating her, they didn't put
it down. I am very happily surprised. That is one tiny 2 year old.

This is great news. You did make the right decision (painful though it
was) not to take in the blind kitty. It would have been too stressful
on both you and the other cats to undertake a long trip in those
circumstances, and there is a good chance that one or more of your other
cats could have been infected by the newcomer. This is entirely
different than my Duffy. He is totally blind (and has been since
birth), but he did not have an infection when I brought him into my home
and introduced him to Holly. His blindness was caused by an infection
by the mother.

I am so glad you printed this report and that the kitty is being
treated. I hope they will be able to find a home for her. This is the
type of story that could make a heartwarming story for the newspaper,
and that often brings numerous possibilities for adoption.

MaryL

Old June 26th 15, 06:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

No to that but sometimes you cannot save them all.

Old June 26th 15, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 6/26/2015 7:08 AM, dgk wrote:
[...]

That is so sad!

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Old June 26th 15, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 6/26/2015 7:24 AM, dgk wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 10:08:32 -0400, dgk wrote:

Her heart is huge, but sometimes it's just too much. The kitten likely
would have been better off being hit by a car.

Oh, I heard back from Serene. ACC took the kitten - estimated age is
actually around 2 years old! And they're treating her, they didn't put
it down. I am very happily surprised. That is one tiny 2 year old.

That is great news! Thanks for letting us know.
Old June 26th 15, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/26/2015 10:24 AM, dgk wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 10:08:32 -0400, dgk wrote:

Her heart is huge, but sometimes it's just too much. The kitten likely
would have been better off being hit by a car.

Oh, I heard back from Serene. ACC took the kitten - estimated age is
actually around 2 years old! And they're treating her, they didn't put
it down. I am very happily surprised. That is one tiny 2 year old.

Thank you for the update. I'm glad they are taking care of the cat.
Hopefully they will find a home for it when it is well.

Jill
Old June 26th 15, 08:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
On 6/26/2015 7:08 AM, dgk wrote:
[...]

I'd like to save them all, but I can't. I would really like to get a bad
unneutered fighting boy snipped and adopt him.
His life would be tranformed. Boyfie says no. He's forgotten how lucky he
is.

Old June 27th 15, 12:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
On 6/26/2015 7:08 AM, dgk wrote:
[...]

How do you think Boyfie would react if you got a gentle little female
instead of a fighting boy? Would the reaction be any different? Both
types need good homes.

MaryL

Old June 27th 15, 11:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message

How do you think Boyfie would react if you got a gentle little female
instead of a fighting boy? Would the reaction be any different? Both
types need good homes.

MaryL

I think he's made it quite clear recently that nocatatall is allowed near
his home or meowmie. Even the girls (he jumped on a poor black girl not
long ago, who was merely passing through)
So best not try it. It's disappointing because I would like to have another
one. I can afford the food and vet care for one more, but the Boy says No.

happy ending dgk Cat anecdotes 3 October 8th 11 12:22 AM
Kitten in washing machine ordeal (happy ending) Adrian A Cat anecdotes 10 October 20th 07 09:38 PM
HAPPY ENDING Kitten Rescue: 5 Firefighters, 2 Trucks, 250 Gallons Of Water Matthew Cat health & behaviour 3 June 22nd 07 04:24 PM
HAPPY ENDING Kitten Rescue: 5 Firefighters, 2 Trucks, 250 Gallons Of Water Matthew Cat anecdotes 0 June 21st 07 01:37 AM
TW but a happy ending CATherine Cat anecdotes 9 March 19th 07 03:22 AM