Spicey's pancreatitis

Old June 29th 15, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default Spicey's pancreatitis

Spicey has continued to go downhill despite yesterday's treatments with
anti-neasea, fluids, and antibiotics. So today, I gave her over to TED for
and IV and continued intensive treatment.

She's scheduled to remain at the hospital for the next two or three days,
and she'll get x-rays and ultrasound as well. She apparently has chronic
pancreatitis, an issue that I'd taken her to the vet before to check for
cancer - but cytology was inconclusive.

They'll give me daily or twice daily updates on her progress. I'm filled
with regret that in these last days, she's been hiding in the a cold tiled
corner or poked and prodded at the vet.

Just last week, I woke up to find her meatloafing on my chest for the first
time, purring and patting my nose occasionally. I saw her dash up to Buster
and start chewing on his throat, while he tolerantly turned his cheek like
he was putting up with a kiss from his aunt.

I just have a fear that I won't see her again.
Old June 29th 15, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

On Monday, June 29, 2015 at 1:06:58 PM UTC-4, Takayuki wrote:
[...]

I am so sorry to hear this.
My RB cat Rusty was diagnosed with pancreatitis by a blood test.
He vomit regularly and the vet said he was in pain.
Rusty was put on a morphine patch and had IV fluid.
The vet put him on a special diet of duck cat food which he loved.
The theory was that duck is a 'novel protein' to most cats and
he might had an allergy to the protein source in his old prescription cat food.
Rusty wanted to eat all the time, probably in an attempt to sooth his tummy.
But he was skin and bones and his vomit got to be more than once daily.
Finally I couldn't bear seeing him like that and sent him to RB.
Rusty lived to 16 years old.
He was always a sickly cat, since he was 2 and went on a prescription diet
for the rest of his life.
Two weeks ago was the anniversary of Rusty's adoption

I didn't meant to upset you, but just want to share my experience with
feline pancreatitis. The vet told me there is no cure, just control.

Winnie
Old June 29th 15, 06:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/29/2015 1:07 PM, Takayuki wrote:
[...]

Oh Tak! I'm sorry to hear this sad development. Purrs for you and for
Spicey.

Know this: She has been happy with you. You really turned her around
after adopting her after Suz died. She came out of her shell. I still
think "how wonderful" every time I think about you adopting Spicey.

Purrs.

Jill
Old June 29th 15, 06:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 6/29/2015 10:07 AM, Takayuki wrote:
[...]

I'm so sorry to hear this! I know what you mean about your regrets, but
I know you've given her lots of love and done all you can for her.

Joy

Old June 29th 15, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

On 6/29/2015 12:07 PM, Takayuki wrote:
[...]

I'm so sorry to hear this. I know that you will have a long
consultation with the vet and will make whatever decision is best for
Spicey. You have done remarkable things for her, and her life has been
infinitely better because of your special care.

MaryL

Old June 30th 15, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Takayuki" wrote in message
[...]

I hope your fears are unjustified. Pancreatis is a very severe illness. I
had a whippet who had it once at aged 10. I truly thought I would lose her
because she was so ill (and so did the vet) but she did recover although it
took some time. In humans it is often caused through alcohol addiction and
is equally serious. I'm not sure how animals get it.
I am hoping very much that Spicey recovers, I feel like I know her and I
kind of love that more than difficult girl.

Tweed
(fond of difficult cats and dogs)

Old July 1st 15, 03:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 10:29:36 -0700 (PDT), Rusty wrote:
[...]

Eeeps! Yes, it does seem to be serious, but 16 is a surprisingly long age
for a cat that hasn't been well since he was 2. He must've been so loved.
Old July 1st 15, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 18:46:34 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
I hope your fears are unjustified. Pancreatis is a very severe illness. I
had a whippet who had it once at aged 10. I truly thought I would lose her
because she was so ill (and so did the vet) but she did recover although it
took some time. In humans it is often caused through alcohol addiction and
is equally serious. I'm not sure how animals get it.
I am hoping very much that Spicey recovers, I feel like I know her and I
kind of love that more than difficult girl.

Tweed
(fond of difficult cats and dogs)

The prognosis from TED sounded poor this weekend, and Spicey seemed so weak
and limp, that I was convinced she wouldn't last the week. I felt a wash of
sadness and guilt that after so many years, I'd forgotten I was capable of.

But there was a bright spot - Spicey's vet told me that she'd perked up
today, and has been eating a little bit of food throughout the day! This
was unexpected good news, and I'm permitting myself to think and hope that
maybe - maybe she'll pull through and have another year or two or three
with me and the rest of her kitty family.
Old July 1st 15, 05:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JJ[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Purrs and good wishes!

Jay

Old July 1st 15, 12:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Good to hear that. Did the vet said whether Spicey could come home if she
continue to improve? She probably rather be home than stay at the vet clinic.
Is she eating prescription food?
Rusty was never hospitalized after his diagnosis.
He was a different cat at the vet clinic.

Sending get well wishes to Spicey.
Winnie