How much space for a cat?

Old February 6th 04, 01:20 PM
Jacqueline

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 22:56:58 +0000, Bob Brenchley.
wrote:

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 20:34:26 +0000, Jacqueline
wrote:

Of course cats should be free to roam, - so should
dogs/budgies/hamsters/people - but there are very few places where
that is possible. We have made society that way. So if you take the
decision to home a cat you also take with it the responsibility of
making sure its needs are met - and that means ensuring it is safe and
well looked after. To call people abusers for keeping cats indoors in
a stable environment is just preposterous.

When you take on the responsibility of homing any pet, one of the
important aspects is providing a proper environment for it. Cats need
space to roam, that is part of their nature.

It's part of every animal's 'nature' to roam, establish territory and
find food but we've moved on slightly from the laws of the jungle.
Cats have been domesticated and as such are provided with food,
shelter and territory. They adapt to their environment, just like we
adapt to the structures imposed on us.

Dogs can't be given that for human safety reasons.

Foxes are essentially canine but they have 'freedom to roam' and don't
attack humans. You only think it's normal for dogs to be walked around
on leads because that's your experience.

Hamsters are not native to the UK,

Nor are cats, they were introduced by the Romans.

but need proper housing.

In a cage? Why can't they be let out to roam? Because they might get
eaten or killed? Ah, but it's their nature to forage for food!

People, unless imprisoned for a crime, do have a large
degree of freedom.

We don't have freedom to do as we please. You can't wander onto
someone's land and claim it as your own. You can't go around killing
people and eating them just 'cos you're hungry. We impose rules for
the sake of our civilisation - and that includes allowing animals in
our care to have a healthy, fulfilled, good life. It's your opinion
that cats need access to fields and roads to have that, but many
millions with happy indoor cat owners would disagree, so you can't
claim your opinion is any more valid than theirs.
Old February 7th 04, 03:56 AM
Cat Protector

Looks like more bad advice from Bob Brenchley. Cats are just fine for
apartments. Bob do us all a favor and leave the newsgroup and leave it to
experienced cat people.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

"Bob Brenchley." wrote in message
On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 20:03:45 +0100, Tristan Miller
wrote:

Cats do not make suitable apartment pets. Then need access to the
outside world.

And cats dictate the level of attention, not their human slaves

--
Bob.

When the cat's away there are fewer hairs on the armchair.

Old February 7th 04, 03:59 AM
Cat Protector

Cats are just fine for a one or two bedroom apartment so you should be ok
there. As for attention to the cat, give him/her the same amount of
attention as you would the ferret.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Tristan Miller" wrote in message
Greetings.

I am considering getting a kitten to keep my little ferret company while

I'm
at work. From what I read, cats and ferrets usually get along just fine
provided that they're introduced at an early age. My only concern is that
my apartment might be too small. I have only one largeish room with a
small kitchen and bathroom -- the total area is 40 m². Will a small cat

be
happy with this or do I need to think about getting a bigger place? I
intend to keep the pet as an indoor cat only. (Of course, I don't mind
taking it for walks every day should it be one of those rare individuals
who take to walking with leashes.)

Also, how much attention will I need to give the cat? I play with my

ferret
for at least a couple hours a day (any less and she sometimes keeps me up
at night), so I'm hoping I can combine playtime.

Regards,
Tristan

--
_
_V.-o Tristan Miller [en,(fr,de,ia)] Space is limited

Old February 7th 04, 04:07 AM
Cat Protector

Well if you are intending on becoming a cat person you might want to refrain
from using the word "it" to describe your cat. Anyway, if you want to take
your cat out on a leash, I recommend getting the cat used to a harness at an
early age. The first thing to do is to put the harness on (without the
leash) and allow the cat to walk around in it for a few minutes every day.
Then when the cat is used to the harness attach the leash (I use a
retractable so the cat can feel a bit more freedom without having to stay
close to my heals) and walk him/her around for a few days to have the cat
get used to it. Then it should be safe for you and feline to explore the
outdoors together.

Since the cat is going to be mostly indoors, make sure he/she has plenty of
toys and things to climb on. Also, a clean litter box, scratching post, and
plenty of food and clean water is available for your feline. Since you
haven't had the cat yet, I'd consider going to the shelter and allow the cat
to choose you.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

"Tristan Miller" wrote in message
My grandparents' cat is indoor only, and to me it doesn't seem any more or
less happy than any outdoor cat I've come across. I know for a fact it's
more physically healthy than many outdoor cats I know, since it has no
opportunity to be mauled by a stranger.

Anyway, as I said, I fully intend to take the cat for walks every day
provided it's willing and can learn to walk with a leash.

Regards,
Tristan

--
_

Old February 7th 04, 11:59 AM
Bob Brenchley.

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 19:56:47 -0700, "Cat Protector"
wrote:

Looks like more bad advice from Bob Brenchley. Cats are just fine for
apartments. Bob do us all a favor and leave the newsgroup and leave it to
experienced cat people.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

.. .
wrote:

Cats do not make suitable apartment pets. Then need access to the
outside world.

And cats dictate the level of attention, not their human slaves

--
Bob.

When the cat's away there are fewer hairs on the armchair.

This from a top-posting moron!

--
Bob.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why you appear bright until
we hear you talk.

Old February 7th 04, 12:06 PM
Bob Brenchley.

wrote:

When you take on the responsibility of homing any pet, one of the
important aspects is providing a proper environment for it. Cats need
space to roam, that is part of their nature.

It's part of every animal's 'nature' to roam, establish territory and

It is, and where the animal's "nature" does not endanger humans (as it
would with a free roaming pack animal like the dog) then we have to do
our level best to provide the animal with what it needs.

find food but we've moved on slightly from the laws of the jungle.
Cats have been domesticated and as such are provided with food,
shelter and territory. They adapt to their environment, just like we
adapt to the structures imposed on us.

Dogs can't be given that for human safety reasons.

Foxes are essentially canine but they have 'freedom to roam' and don't
attack humans.

Foxes are wild animals, in addition they are not generally pack
animals.

You only think it's normal for dogs to be walked around
on leads because that's your experience.

Hamsters are not native to the UK,

Nor are cats, they were introduced by the Romans.

Reintroduced.

but need proper housing.

In a cage?

Certainly not.

Why can't they be let out to roam? Because they might get
eaten or killed? Ah, but it's their nature to forage for food!

People, unless imprisoned for a crime, do have a large
degree of freedom.

We don't have freedom to do as we please. You can't wander onto
someone's land and claim it as your own. You can't go around killing
people and eating them just 'cos you're hungry. We impose rules for
the sake of our civilisation - and that includes allowing animals in
our care to have a healthy, fulfilled, good life.

Which cats get if they are treated correctly - as an indoor/outdoor
animal.

It's your opinion
that cats need access to fields and roads to have that, but many
millions with happy indoor cat owners would disagree,

Oh I know there are many ignorant people out there, and many who do
know that they are abusing their cats by keeping them in.

so you can't
claim your opinion is any more valid than theirs.

Yes I can. Because my opinions are based on the opinions of experts
like the RSPCA, Cats Protection, well respected experts in cats, our
leading zoos, and the experiences of millions of cat owners around the
world.

The cat is the same - regardless of the country it lives in. The
overwhelming majority of cats around the world get to lead proper
lives with time outside. Why should American cats be any different?

--
Bob.

You have not been charged for this lesson. Please pass it to all your
friends so they may learn as well.