My Cat has turned into a Bully towards my Other Cat-Help

Old October 16th 05, 11:09 PM
lisa1124 via CatKB.com

Default My Cat has turned into a Bully towards my Other Cat-Help

Hi all, I have two cats, Boo-3 and Bella-2 (both spayed). Bella has always
been playful and lovable, Boo is a little more independent but lovable and
used to occasionally play well with Bella. Now Boo has turned into a complete
bully with Bella - to the point that Bella is biting two spots on her back
(hot spots). Bella is constantly looking behind her back to see if Boo is
nearby. When she is in bed with me cuddling and suckling, she will constantly
stop, turn her head to see if Boo is nearby. Boo will chase her down and
rough house way too aggressively. The only thing new is a 37 gallon
freshwater fish tank. Also, I feed Bella in the kitchen and Boo in another
room. I do this because Boo wouldn't eat in the kitchen with Bella. Should
I feed them both in the kitchen in separate areas? How can I stop Boo from
being such a bully?
Old October 17th 05, 12:31 AM

lisa1124 via CatKB.com wrote:
Hi all, I have two cats, Boo-3 and Bella-2 (both spayed). Bella has always
been playful and lovable, Boo is a little more independent but lovable and
used to occasionally play well with Bella. Now Boo has turned into a complete
bully with Bella - to the point that Bella is biting two spots on her back
(hot spots). Bella is constantly looking behind her back to see if Boo is
nearby. When she is in bed with me cuddling and suckling, she will constantly
stop, turn her head to see if Boo is nearby. Boo will chase her down and
rough house way too aggressively. The only thing new is a 37 gallon
freshwater fish tank. Also, I feed Bella in the kitchen and Boo in another
room. I do this because Boo wouldn't eat in the kitchen with Bella. Should
I feed them both in the kitchen in separate areas? How can I stop Boo from
being such a bully?

when was the last time you took the cat to a vet? sounds bad. i don't
know enough to suggest behavioral tricks. the fish brought out the
hunter in him? he's bored? he's not irritated physically? no parasites
- some things don't show up in the stool specimen. when i had someone
else's cat bully my cat, in the same house, finally i got so angry that
i really grabbed the bully hard. he stopped attacking my cat. i would
have picked him up by the scruff of his neck and had a good eye to eye
talk but he was too big.

Old October 17th 05, 01:03 AM
Rebecca Root

On 2005-10-16 16:09:04 -0600, "lisa1124 via CatKB.com" u14942@uwe said:

snip, snip
How can I stop Boo from
being such a bully?

My otherwise peaceful cats became enemies this past summer. After a
trip to the vet to rule out physical causes, I went through the whole
reintroduction process with them: isolating in separate areas and
gradually allowing contact. I used the method on the maxhouse website.
My case was different than yours in that both cats were angry and would
attack each other. It took two rounds of isolation to work it out. The
first time, I was able to reintroduce them after five days and all was
well for a month. The second time, it took a full month to get back to
normal. We've been OK now for almost two months. My cats were triggered
by seeing stranger cats out the window and displacing the aggression
towards each other. If you go this route, I can give you more tips, as
I got a lot of finer points from a behaviorist for the second round.
Good luck.

Old October 17th 05, 01:05 AM
lisa1124 via CatKB.com

I would love more advice regarding reintroduction. The only place I could
put one would be in a bathroom (where one of the litter boxes is located).
How do I decide which one to put in the small room and how do I keep her from
hating me for doing it?

Old October 17th 05, 02:48 AM

wrote:
Hi all, I have two cats, Boo-3 and Bella-2 (both spayed). Bella has always
been playful and lovable, Boo is a little more independent but lovable and

[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
I feed them both in the kitchen in separate areas? How can I stop Boo from
being such a bully?

when was the last time you took the cat to a vet? sounds bad. i don't
know enough to suggest behavioral tricks. the fish brought out the
hunter in him? he's bored? he's not irritated physically? no parasites
- some things don't show up in the stool specimen. when i had someone
else's cat bully my cat, in the same house, finally i got so angry that
i really grabbed the bully hard. he stopped attacking my cat. i would
have picked him up by the scruff of his neck and had a good eye to eye
talk but he was too big.

I took Bella to the vet for the hot spots. The vet said she looks healthy
but stressed. He did not take blood, though. Bella acts perfectly content -
plays with me all the time and has a huge appetite. Boo is very overweight
and her weight definitely dominates Bella. Boo has been throwing up her dry
food lately - when I clean it up, the food is practically intact - not fully
digested.

I meant take Boo to the vet. She may be sick. She may be diabetic and
having sugar swings which can induce violence - it's disorienting. And
reintroducing is a good and follow the web site's ways. Urinary tract
problems is also possible? Very overweight usually have these problems
sooner than later.

I forget. The other person said they would post that web site address
which goes into great detail as a way of re-introduction, using gated
doorways and such?

Old October 17th 05, 03:01 AM

Rebecca Root wrote:
[...]

http://www.maxshouse.com/introducing_cats.htm

try that. he posts here as Phil P. your cat sounds sick. it's sudden
and she's throwing up food. i've seen 2 cats just like that before with
one very overweight and had psycho moods. she had a urinary problem,
crystals in her urine.

the cat won't hate you. cats are smart. she'll realize you are trying
to make things better. of course you may get a dirty look the first day
or two.

Ask others or Phil P. He has some good info although he gets irascible
at times. Maybe if we fed him, he'd be sweeter

Old October 17th 05, 04:43 AM

lisa1124 via CatKB.com wrote:
I think you may be right. Her mood swings are crazy. She will sleep like a
baby, then she will get up, go to the litter box, and then bounce out of the
box like a race horse. There has been alot more urine in the litter boxes.
I better get her to the vet. Can you give me more symptoms for diabetes?

I just punched in "diabetes cat" into Google and came up with:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/
And it talked of diabetic cats flooding the litter box, but the site
seems a commerical for one vet.

This following site had immediate solid info:
http://www.vetinfo.com/cdiabetes.html

I think you really need to get a simple glucose test for her. Her mood
swings, her violence, her excessive urination, her obesity from what
you say, this all adds up to diabetes. I guess you'll have to make sure
of the diagnosis first. After the sugar is control, if it's diabetes
which sounds like it so far, that should probably help the violent mood
swings.

I think you're going to have to be tougher with your cat and get her on
a diet to control the possible diabetes. It's not easy, I know. And
food is a way of expressing love, especially to creatures who don't
speak English. But for her life's sake, you'll
both feel better. Start to measure and weigh the food put out.

If I were to ask you, how many calories did you feed your Boo today,
could you tell me? Of course not. But it's not too difficult. I use a
gram scale and measure the food out in grams and then multiple calories
per gram and there I am. I can know pretty closely how many calories
[technically kilocalories but everyone uses calories] my cat is
eating. And also how many I am eating, so we can both suffer together.
I lost 20 pounds. My cat has yet to lose her 2 pounds. But we suffer,
well not really. After the initial day or so, the body reorients itself
and the hunger dissipates.

Again, not to sounds like an idiot, /IF/ this is diabetes, weight
control and food control will help her live. Without weight control, I
think it's going to be awful for the two of you. Ask the vet about
this. With humans there are serious problems with the legs and eyes
and, well, you get the picture.

So I've put my cat on a diet and it's not easy - I had the problem, not
my cat. I think she trusts me but she does swat at me and bite my leg
when I walk by the 'frig and not give her food. Naughty girl.

Old October 17th 05, 07:28 AM
Roger C

I'm thinking that maybe the aggressive cat is getting the least
attention and maybe feels like you favor her least.
To help your aggressive cat to get along with his buddy start to
talk with him more especially when the other cat is around to observe
your acceptance of the other cat which is ussualy the is usually
upsetting you because you don't know how to stop him from being
aggressive .
Also you can play with one of them when the other cat is present and
encourage them to be playful.