A cat forum. CatBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CatBanter forum » Cat Newsgroups » Cat rescue
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Full disclosure



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 30th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
Richard Evans
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 103
Default Full disclosure

How much do you tell a prospective adopter about a cat's quirks?

I feel a certain obligation to give an adopter an accurate profile of
a cat's personality, including any quirks, which most cats have.
Unfortunately, such revelation can skewer an adoption.

People seem to want generic kitties, all cute and cuddly all the time.
Very few fit that bill.

I've just taken in another foster that poses a dilemma.

She's a tiny orange tabby, sweet as she can be... up to a point. She
will get up on your lap, all lovey with head butts and kisses, then at
some arbitrary point she hisses and jumps away.

To me, this is just a personalty quirk, but to prospective adopters it
may be a deal killer.

How honest should I be?
  #2  
Old August 30th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
John Ross Mc Master
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,125
Default Full disclosure

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:31:49 -0400, Richard Evans
wrote:

How much do you tell a prospective adopter about a cat's quirks?

I feel a certain obligation to give an adopter an accurate profile of
a cat's personality, including any quirks, which most cats have.
Unfortunately, such revelation can skewer an adoption.

People seem to want generic kitties, all cute and cuddly all the time.
Very few fit that bill.

I've just taken in another foster that poses a dilemma.

She's a tiny orange tabby, sweet as she can be... up to a point. She
will get up on your lap, all lovey with head butts and kisses, then at
some arbitrary point she hisses and jumps away.

To me, this is just a personalty quirk, but to prospective adopters it
may be a deal killer.

How honest should I be?



Tiny tabby?
Say the orange tabby was separated from its mother at too young an
age, no fault of yours. Say that she needs a loving family who will
put up with her occasional hisses, but she is generally a loving
kitten.
  #3  
Old August 30th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
Matthew
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,930
Default Full disclosure

Richard this quirk may be your fault some cats get over stimulated when
being petted this can come in the form of aggressive play, biting and
hissing. I would tell them the truth about the quirk and how it comes
about. So just in case the furball does not go to far in the over
stimulation and end up coming back or end up in a shelter

One of my cats is the most loving cats but when he is does not want to be
continued being petted he gets aggressive and will bite after he will run
away.

IMO this is what your cat is doing the hiss is just like hey enough is
enough I am done and walks away

Good luck in the adoption

"Richard Evans" wrote in message
...
How much do you tell a prospective adopter about a cat's quirks?

I feel a certain obligation to give an adopter an accurate profile of
a cat's personality, including any quirks, which most cats have.
Unfortunately, such revelation can skewer an adoption.

People seem to want generic kitties, all cute and cuddly all the time.
Very few fit that bill.

I've just taken in another foster that poses a dilemma.

She's a tiny orange tabby, sweet as she can be... up to a point. She
will get up on your lap, all lovey with head butts and kisses, then at
some arbitrary point she hisses and jumps away.

To me, this is just a personalty quirk, but to prospective adopters it
may be a deal killer.

How honest should I be?



  #4  
Old August 30th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
Richard Evans
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 103
Default Full disclosure

John Ross Mc Master wrote:



Tiny tabby?
Say the orange tabby was separated from its mother at too young an
age,


No way of knoiwing. She came to us as an adult, albeit a very small
one.
  #5  
Old August 30th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
Richard Evans
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 103
Default Full disclosure

"Matthew" wrote:

Richard this quirk may be your fault some cats get over stimulated when
being petted this can come in the form of aggressive play, biting and
hissing.


I thought of that, but the result is the same, even if I don't touch
her. She gets up on my lap, I never lay a hand on her, and the results
are the same.

Anyway, I'm not so much interested in identifying why this one
particular cat is quirky, I'm asking the larger question of how much
to reveal about such quirks.


  #6  
Old August 30th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
John Ross Mc Master
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,125
Default Full disclosure

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:03:53 -0400, Richard Evans
wrote:

"Matthew" wrote:

Richard this quirk may be your fault some cats get over stimulated when
being petted this can come in the form of aggressive play, biting and
hissing.


I thought of that, but the result is the same, even if I don't touch
her. She gets up on my lap, I never lay a hand on her, and the results
are the same.

Anyway, I'm not so much interested in identifying why this one
particular cat is quirky, I'm asking the larger question of how much
to reveal about such quirks.


I recently fostered a psycho kitten. I told all and she still got
adopted. By a tough family. Tell all, that way no one can come back to
you and accuse you of withholding info.
  #7  
Old August 31st 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
Anonymous
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 596
Default Full disclosure

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:03:53 -0400, Richard Evans
infodex wrote:

"Matthew" Iamacatslave wrote:

Richard this quirk may be your fault some cats get over

stimulated when
being petted this can come in the form of aggressive play, biting

and
hissing.

I thought of that, but the result is the same, even if I don't touch
her. She gets up on my lap, I never lay a hand on her, and the

results
are the same.

Anyway, I'm not so much interested in identifying why this one
particular cat is quirky, I'm asking the larger question of how much
to reveal about such quirks.


I recently fostered a psycho kitten. I told all and she still got
adopted. By a tough family. Tell all, that way no one can come back to
you and accuse you of withholding info.
Sent via http://Pets-99.com , http://AnimalForum.ws & http://AnimalBlog.org
  #8  
Old August 31st 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
Anonymous
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 596
Default Full disclosure

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:03:53 -0400, Richard Evans
infodex wrote:

"Matthew" Iamacatslave wrote:

Richard this quirk may be your fault some cats get over

stimulated when
being petted this can come in the form of aggressive play, biting

and
hissing.

I thought of that, but the result is the same, even if I don't touch
her. She gets up on my lap, I never lay a hand on her, and the

results
are the same.

Anyway, I'm not so much interested in identifying why this one
particular cat is quirky, I'm asking the larger question of how much
to reveal about such quirks.


I recently fostered a psycho kitten. I told all and she still got
adopted. By a tough family. Tell all, that way no one can come back to
you and accuse you of withholding info.
Sent via http://Pets-99.com , http://AnimalForum.ws & http://AnimalBlog.org
  #9  
Old August 31st 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
Anonymous
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 596
Default Full disclosure

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:03:53 -0400, Richard Evans
infodex wrote:

"Matthew" Iamacatslave wrote:

Richard this quirk may be your fault some cats get over

stimulated when
being petted this can come in the form of aggressive play, biting

and
hissing.

I thought of that, but the result is the same, even if I don't touch
her. She gets up on my lap, I never lay a hand on her, and the

results
are the same.

Anyway, I'm not so much interested in identifying why this one
particular cat is quirky, I'm asking the larger question of how much
to reveal about such quirks.


I recently fostered a psycho kitten. I told all and she still got
adopted. By a tough family. Tell all, that way no one can come back to
you and accuse you of withholding info.
Sent via http://Pets-99.com , http://AnimalForum.ws & http://AnimalBlog.org
  #10  
Old September 6th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
Wendy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 398
Default Full disclosure


"Richard Evans" wrote in message
...
How much do you tell a prospective adopter about a cat's quirks?

I feel a certain obligation to give an adopter an accurate profile of
a cat's personality, including any quirks, which most cats have.
Unfortunately, such revelation can skewer an adoption.

People seem to want generic kitties, all cute and cuddly all the time.
Very few fit that bill.

I've just taken in another foster that poses a dilemma.

She's a tiny orange tabby, sweet as she can be... up to a point. She
will get up on your lap, all lovey with head butts and kisses, then at
some arbitrary point she hisses and jumps away.

To me, this is just a personalty quirk, but to prospective adopters it
may be a deal killer.

How honest should I be?


I believe in being completely honest. You're more likely to find the cat a
home where it will stay for it's lifetime if the adopters know what they are
getting. We managed to find a home for a kitty who still can't be picked up
easily. She loves to be pet but you have to sneak up on her and scruff her
to pick her up. The woman who adopted her knew all her quirks and was good
with them. Last I heard that kitty is doing great in her new home.


W


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
to be full or weak will converse pretty pools to hatefully sow [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 September 12th 05 10:54 AM
are you long, I mean, receiving behind full buckets [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 September 11th 05 03:08 PM
who kicks strongly, when Courtney calls the full floor throughout the star [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 September 11th 05 02:46 PM
i nearly scold for Elmo when the full buttons explain within the inner obelisk Lisette Cat anecdotes 0 September 11th 05 01:16 PM
lately, lemons seek through full dorms, unless they're easy Marion E. Gartman Cat anecdotes 0 September 11th 05 12:26 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CatBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.