The joys of cat ownership, chapter 4,724

Old November 6th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Phoenix

Default The joys of cat ownership, chapter 4,724

Woke up about 6 or so this morning and stumbled out to open up the deck
door so poor Molly the d*g could go out and potty and so cats could go
in and out as they wish...at least until I get up for real and turn on
the heat.

Some short time later, I hear Shane (the youngest, fixed male DMH kitty)
making a funny growly noise near the bed. Sounds like an incipient cat
fight, so I hiss, tell 'em to knock it off, and close my eyes again.

Couple hours later, I hear the noise again and decide it's time to get
up anyway, so I hiss at Shane wherever he is, get out of bed and head
for the bathroom that's just off our bedroom.

Suddenly, there is a great flurry in the corner on the floor near the
head of John's side of the bed. I bend down to peer and hot dog, Shane
has a 13-striped ground squirrel (aka western version of chipmunk) in
the corner under the night stand. QUITE alive, I might add. And
extremely annoyed.

They squeak when annoyed.

I wake John (because this will take more than just ME!), open the door
to the hallway all the way, make sure no blankets have edges on the
floor (live squirrel in MY bed?? oh no!!! not in MY lifetime! The live
mouse and the bunny head were quite enough, thankyouverymuch) finish my
business in the bathroom, and return. To discover that the squirrel has
escaped to elsewhere in the house. Oh boy! A search! Whee! (not.)

Round the corner into the narthex and there are five, count 'em, five
cats ranged around, all peering closely at one corner of the room. Shane
is the closest, with Jezebel not far away...and she's hissing at anyone
else who comes near. (Poor Smokey. Just wanted her breakfast of Fancy
Feast!)

Apparently the little guy is holed up under the small bookshelf in there.

I come up with a plan! We can use the dog's food dish (which was still
on the counter from the night before) to capture it, in a modified
"spider relocation system". What can we use to slide underneath?
Cardboard won't work. Oh yea! There's that piece of veneer that came off
the cupboards a while ago...it's thin, and very sturdy. And here's the
Swiffer with a nice long handle useful for herding it.

Tools are ready. The squirrel is squeaking non-stop from under the
shelves. The cats are annoyed that we've moved them. Molly wants to see
what's going on, oh boy! Go away, Molly.

John's on his knees facing the corner with the dog dish at the ready. I
have the Swiffer and am gently trying to herd it. But I can't get a good
angle. John takes the Swiffer because he can SEE the darned thing. It's
scared to death and doesn't want to move.

We manage to scootch it out and get the dog dish over it. We manage to
sliiiiiiide the veneer piece under the dish. We manage to pick it all up
without losing the squirrel. (OK, JOHN actually does all this, I'm
offering assistance by way of commentary and advice...and HEY! I do put
away the Swiffer!)

The rest is sort of anti-climactic. John takes the assembly down to the
yard off the deck and lets the little guy go. We keep the cats inside
for a while, to their annoyance (until the Heat God came on). Molly
tried to investigate but we called her back. John reported that the
little guy had a pretty torn up tail but otherwise seemed to be intact
(Shane, ya gotta learn to kill 'em if you're gonna catch 'em.)

And we have cats because........?

Because we WUV dem. Even with all this mishegas. :-)
Old November 6th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
PatM

On Nov 6, 12:41 pm, Phoenix wrote:
I come up with a plan! We can use the dog's food dish (which was still
on the counter from the night before) to capture it, in a modified
"spider relocation system". What can we use to slide underneath?
Cardboard won't work. Oh yea! There's that piece of veneer that came off

John's on his knees facing the corner with the dog dish at the ready.

We manage to scootch it out and get the dog dish over it. We manage to
sliiiiiiide the veneer piece under the dish. We manage to pick it all up
without losing the squirrel.
And we have cats because........?
Because we WUV dem. Even with all this mishegas. :-)

I have tears in my eyes from laughing!

Hey, I use that same spider relocation system--see, it works for lots
of critters!LOL

Old November 7th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 11:41:06 -0800, Phoenix wrote:

[...]

Purrs for the little squirrel. MLB
Old November 7th 07, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Phoenix wrote:
snippage
And we have cats because........?

Because we WUV dem. Even with all this mishegas. :-)

Of course you do! LOL! Thanks for the story.

Old November 7th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bettina

On 6 Nov., 20:41, Phoenix wrote:
[...]

Hey, that was funny. Reminds me of the humdrum when my Lizzie brings
in
a life mouse (she tends to do that) and all the other cats are
cormering the poor thing.
What have I moved furniture through the last years. And saved mouse-
lives.g
One night Lizzie dropped a mouse on the living-room carpet and the
little
bugger was so stunned that it stayed there long enough to put my hand
over it.
While I then was running to the front door to let her out she regained
her senses
and thankfully bit me deep in my thumb. So, I have been bitten during
my life
by 1 dog, 2 cats and 1 mouse.lol

Old November 7th 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baha via CatKB.com

Phoenix wrote: (big fat riotous snip)

And we have cats because........?

Because we WUV dem. Even with all this mishegas. :-)

OY!!!

I am at this moment losing control of my bodily functions, I am laughing so
hard, and I thank you!

Blessed be,
Baha

Old November 8th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Phoenix wrote:

Woke up about 6 or so this morning and stumbled out to open up the deck
door so poor Molly the d*g could go out and potty and so cats could go
in and out as they wish...at least until I get up for real and turn on
the heat.

Some short time later, I hear Shane (the youngest, fixed male DMH kitty)
making a funny growly noise near the bed.

Uh oh... you know, my very first thought when I read this was that
Shane had caught something and had it near your bed. The tip-off? Where
you said he was "...making a funny growly noise". In my house, this
always means that prey has been caught. Actually, this doesn't happen
*in* the house, because Smudge is the only one who catches anything
bigger than a bug, and that's always outside. But when I hear that
"funny" meow, I know to look twice before opening the door.

Great story. Great writing, too!

Joyce
Old November 8th 07, 06:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Phoenix

Baha via CatKB.com wrote:

Phoenix wrote: (big fat riotous snip)
And we have cats because........?
Because we WUV dem. Even with all this mishegas. :-)

OY!!!

I am at this moment losing control of my bodily functions, I am laughing so
hard, and I thank you!

Ah. My work here is done.

Deborah g