cats fight at feeding time

Old November 1st 11, 10:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joseph O'Brien

Default cats fight at feeding time

We have three cats that live fairly peaceably in our 1200 square foot
apartment. There is one exception, though: when they get hungry, they
fight.

OK, maybe "fight" is too strong of a word. Very specifically, our
older female cat beats up on the two male cats when it's close to
feeding time. She chases them out of the kitchen, swats at their
noses, and in general creates a stressful ruckus. This has led to an
unhealthy response from the humans: when they fight, we feed them. I'm
afraid that they may have "trained" us, as we definitely feed them too
much -- the two male cats are overweight.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have recommendations for
ending this behavior?

Thanks.
Joseph
Old November 2nd 11, 06:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Joseph O'Brien wrote:
We have three cats that live fairly peaceably in our 1200 square foot
apartment. There is one exception, though: when they get hungry, they
fight.

OK, maybe "fight" is too strong of a word. Very specifically, our
older female cat beats up on the two male cats when it's close to
feeding time. She chases them out of the kitchen, swats at their
noses, and in general creates a stressful ruckus. This has led to an
unhealthy response from the humans: when they fight, we feed them. I'm
afraid that they may have "trained" us, as we definitely feed them too
much -- the two male cats are overweight.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have recommendations for
ending this behavior?

Thanks.
Joseph

Yes. (I have a recommendation) Feed them at two places at the same time. A
bowl of food and water in the bathroom, and one in the kitchen. Keep a bowl
of kibbles full at both places all the time. I don't know about your cats,
but mine cooperate to get food. I don't open the bags of dry food for them.
They have to claw their way into it themselves, and scatter it all over the
kitchen floor to eat it. When one gets into the bag, the others benefit from
his/her work. This makes them happy to have each other around......

Old November 2nd 11, 07:17 AM
Delmon07 Delmon07 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph O'Brien View Post
We have three cats that live fairly peaceably in our 1200 square foot
apartment. There is one exception, though: when they get hungry, they
fight.
What you are experiencing with your cat is called petting aggression. It actually is a fairly normal behavior in cats. There are ways to minimize stimulation of this petting aggression, look for behavioral signs, stop stimulating the animal when these signs appear etc...
Probably the best quality for the money in pet food is Purina Pro Plan. I would find an adult maintenance food that meets the requirements of the pet needs. If its overweight and that's the only concern, I would probably go with a weight control, or healthy weight formula food. Follow the feeding recommendations on the bag, and increase or decrease that amount based on the cat’s body condition. It’s not abnormal for a cat to free feed. Look up body condition scoring in cats. At 9lbs, that sounds like a reasonable weight. And yes it is quite normal for your cat to not like other cats and your dog. Every cat has its own personality, and depending on their spay/neuter status that can affect it, but some cats may be okay with other animals in the house and others will be the most hateful thing towards them.

Last edited by Delmon07 : November 3rd 11 at 06:31 AM.
Old November 2nd 11, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene[_2_]

On Nov 1, 4:51*am, "Joseph O'Brien" wrote:
We have three cats that live fairly peaceably in our 1200 square foot
apartment. There is one exception, though: when they get hungry, they
fight.

OK, maybe "fight" is too strong of a word. Very specifically, our
older female cat beats up on the two male cats when it's close to
feeding time. She chases them out of the kitchen, swats at their
noses, and in general creates a stressful ruckus. This has led to an
unhealthy response from the humans: when they fight, we feed them. I'm
afraid that they may have "trained" us, as we definitely feed them too
much -- the two male cats are overweight.

You need to schedule two feedings, about 12 hours apart, and separate
the cats while they eat. Since the female is the aggressor, I'd shut
her in a bathroom or bedroom to eat first, then feed the two males in
the kitchen. After 10-15 minutes, pick up the bowls let the female out
of the room.

This is assuming, of course, that you feed wet food. If your males are
overweight, free feeding dry food is not a good idea. It seems like
leaving the bowl out is creating a constant problem of territory
competition. Feeding twice per day will eliminate this.
Old November 9th 11, 09:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

"Joseph O'Brien" obrien1984 hotmail.com wrote:

OK, maybe "fight" is too strong of a word. Very specifically,
our older female cat beats up on the two male cats when it's
close to feeding time. She chases them out of the kitchen, swats
at their noses, and in general creates a stressful ruckus.

I would immediately (if not sooner) clip her claws. I guess it's a
best kept secret, but clipping an aggressive cats claws is to me
the obvious solution to help keep it from damaging other animals.
That works for behavior modification without confrontation (except
a little agitation during the clipping). A nonconfrontational
deterrent is best for successful cat management.

Then I would work on the other stuff. I think you got some good
advice from other replies.

Old November 9th 11, 03:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"John Doe" wrote in message
eb.com...
[...]

NEVER DECLAW A CAT and NEVER LISTEN TO JOHN DOE. He is a unstable
individual and troll

Get back on your meds john doe aka mark bender You will feel much better

Take a look at Marks history
https://www.google.com/search?q=john...I7ADSA_enUS456

Old November 9th 11, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chaniarts[_2_]

On 11/9/2011 7:49 AM, Matthew wrote:
"John wrote in message
eb.com...
[...]

try reading for comprehension. clipping is not declawing. i clip my
cat's nails to make them less sharp, and also use http://softpaws.com

Old November 9th 11, 04:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"chaniarts" wrote in message
On 11/9/2011 7:49 AM, Matthew wrote:
"John wrote in message
eb.com...
[...]

You also don't know John Doe aka Mark bender that well

Old November 9th 11, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.UseNet
John Doe

"Matthew" iamacatslaveand proudtoserve.com wrote:

"chaniarts" chaniarts nospam.yahoo.com wrote
Matthew wrote:
"John Doe"jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote
[...]

The obese freak Matted obviously does not know me, considering the
fact that here in this group I have always enthusiastically
opposed declawing cats.

Matted is just jealous because he is too lazy to get off of his
obese ass and build something like my cat's Skyway. My cats hang
out above it all whenever they feel like it, with several lofts at
different places in their Skyway that runs all over the place 6
feet above the floor.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2753221...in/photostream

From: "Matthew" iamacatslaveand proudtoserve.com
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Subject: cats fight at feeding time
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 10:02:55 -0500

Old November 9th 11, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

eb.com...

Matthew wrote:
[...]

Now I will apologize about the declawing comment

But For the rest you have no idea what I have in my house.

If you need to know I have built a enclosure to my house that the furballs
can enjoy the outdoors with out the danger of being outside. They have a
nice 14*16 room in the house designed for cats.

You must have a lot of time on your hands being stuck in the house avoiding
the neighbors thinking everyone is out to get you