Where are RPCArs\

Old January 28th 11, 07:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Default Where are RPCArs\

It has been several hours with no posts. Has the system failed? MLB
Old January 28th 11, 01:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

MLB wrote:
It has been several hours with no posts. Has the system failed? MLB

I think Facebook is taking over from Usenet.
--
Adrian, sent from my iPod.
Old January 28th 11, 02:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kraut / Larry Stark

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 12:09:48 +0000 (UTC), Adrian
wrote:

It has been several hours with no posts. Has the system failed? MLB

I think Facebook is taking over from Usenet.

I hope not.

I use facebook because most of my family and relatives are on there
but if I had to pick either FB or the newsgroups I would go with the
news groups!!

Old January 28th 11, 06:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

It has been several hours with no posts. Has the system failed? MLB

I'm here, but I've been doing a drastic computer upgrade and I've only
just got news working again. It'll be a few days before I'm back up to
speed with everything.

I have just caught Marblecake in the act of levering open the door to
the attic. We try to keep the cats out of there, and it's closed with
one of those sprung-roller latches. Marblecaks is a very strong cat,
and she can force it open by grabbing the bottom edge of the door with
her claws and tugging hard. About all we can do is start using the Yale
lock on that door - I don't *think* she can get to a lock four feet up
and pick it.
Old January 28th 11, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Jack Campin wrote:
It has been several hours with no posts. Has the system failed? MLB

I'm here, but I've been doing a drastic computer upgrade and I've only
just got news working again. It'll be a few days before I'm back up to
speed with everything.

I have just caught Marblecake in the act of levering open the door to
the attic. We try to keep the cats out of there, and it's closed with
one of those sprung-roller latches. Marblecaks is a very strong cat,
and she can force it open by grabbing the bottom edge of the door with
her claws and tugging hard. About all we can do is start using the Yale
lock on that door - I don't *think* she can get to a lock four feet up
and pick it.

My old doctor had two Burmese cats. The cats devised a way to open the
refrigerator to raid it. Smart kitties. MLB
Old January 28th 11, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Adrian wrote:

MLB wrote:

It has been several hours with no posts. Has the system failed? MLB

I think Facebook is taking over from Usenet.

That would be too bad. I know that FB has a function, and people
enjoy it, so I don't have any grudge about that. (I don't like how
FB *itself* is run, but that's a different story.)

But I have to wonder about people for whom FB has completely replaced
forums like Usenet. They're choosing a venue where it's all about
soundbites over places where they can post longer and (one can hope)
more thoughtful pieces. I think they both have value, but I hate to
think that so many people would rather trade quips than ideas.

What I miss the most is email lists. You get all the benefits of Usenet
(ie, ability to post long messages), with none of the spam or trolls,
because you have to be subscribed to an email list, which means you can
be unsubscribed if you're just there to post cr*p. Most of the email
lists I'm on are pretty dead. (Except for a technical writer's list. I
could easily get 50 posts in one day, in which people are arguing about
where to put commas in a list. )

Joyce

--
"Sentimentality" -- that's what we call the sentiment we don't share.
-- Graham Greene
Old January 28th 11, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

wrote:

It has been several hours with no posts. Has the system failed? MLB

I think Facebook is taking over from Usenet.

I hope not.

I use facebook because most of my family and relatives are on there
but if I had to pick either FB or the newsgroups I would go with the
news groups!!

Not for me.

Facebook is for posting about anything and everything in short little
bursts (thankfully abit longer than tweets!) in almost real time, and
RPCA is for posting stories about cats, honorary cats... and
*significant* personal events worthy of several paragraphs.

Yowie
Old January 28th 11, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

wrote:

(Except for a technical writer's list. I
could easily get 50 posts in one day, in which people are arguing about
where to put commas in a list. )

Item 1,
Item 2,
Item 3.

:-)

Ah, but the real problem comes up when the word "and" is introduced.
There's a long-running feud between those who believe that when a
list is in a sentence, with the word "and" before the last item, there
should NEVER be a comma following the penultimate item, like so:

A, B, C, D and E.

Violation of this rule is punishable by death in some circles.

Whereas other believe that "A, B, C, D, and E." is fine and in fact
preferable. It's staggering how many bytes out in cyberspace have been
dedicated to this argument.

And even though I'm a tech writer, and should therefore have a position
on this and be *extremely* opinionated about it, I don't and I'm not. Hey,
I'm easy! I have a preference for the first way - it's what I'm used to -
but I think it's more important to be consistent about it, so "pick one
and stick with it" is my motto.

That said - if I were using a manual that was inconsistent about this? I
seriously doubt I'd even notice. I'd be too busy trying to *learn the
technnology the manual was written for*.

Joyce

--
The sun rose slowly, like a fiery furball coughed up uneasily onto a
sky-blue carpet by a giant unseen cat. -- Michael McGarel
Old January 29th 11, 01:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Yowie wrote:

Not for me.

Facebook is for posting about anything and everything in short little
bursts (thankfully abit longer than tweets!) in almost real time, and
RPCA is for posting stories about cats, honorary cats... and
*significant* personal events worthy of several paragraphs.

Yowie

I agree, but I think it's taking over from usenet, especially as so many
ISPs are ditching there news servers. :-(
--
Adrian, sent from my iPod.