[OT] Humor (or, rather, Humour)

Old February 12th 05, 12:21 AM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Christina Websell wrote:
"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Katz" wrote in message
oups.com...
Christina Websell wrote:
I had to take her firmly
in hand when she said "airplane" and "cookie" and "sidewalk" !!

asks humbly What's British for sidewalk?

Katz

Pavement. :-)

Tweed

Which can lead to some really bad misunderstandings with us merkins
who think the pavement is the road. ;~}

Jo

Really? Your road is a pavement as well as a road? Well, if you are
in Britain and someone tells you to walk on the pavement, walk on the
sidewalk ;-) or you might have a nasty accident.
In Britain we drive on the left, so we teach our children to look
right, look left, look right again before crossing the road.
I saved Nüle from certain injury a couple of times while she was
here, by pulling her back onto the pavement when she looked left
first. She saved me too, in Germany. I looked right, nothing coming
and stepped out into the road. Screech of brakes.
Traffic approaching from the left?? Silly idea..
Isn't it wonderful these differences we have? My car has a bonnet
(hood) and a boot (trunk.) Water comes out of a tap and not a
faucet. And your first floor is our ground floor, so our first floor
is your second. I love the difference and if anyone knows any more
I'd like to hear them.
Tweed
(totally OT or is it?)

(UK)=(US)
Petrol=gas
tube=subway/train
lift=elevator

I need to watch more BBCAmerica on the satellite in order to find more

--
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)© email me at

Old February 12th 05, 01:24 AM
CatNipped

On 2005-02-11, Katz penned:

Both come from hard experience. In our bigger car, we felt like a

freakin'
tank on those little roads. And driving on the wrong side is hard

enough,
w/o having the stick shift in the wrong hand. Gahh! We had been warned,

but
my friend wanted to save money...

Last November, I got a steroid shot in my right wrist, on my birthday no
less. The orthopedist gave me no warning that it could potentially be
very, very, VERY painful.

I was late getting home because I was attending a shelter volunteer
orientation seminar. During the seminar, my wrist got more and more
uncomfortable, to the point where I could barely pay attention to the
presentation. Eventually, it ended and I tried to drive home. By that

time,
every movement brought tears to my eyes. I finally realized that the only

way
I would get home would be to shift with my left hand, across my body.

Even at
that, steering with my right hand was an exercise in controlling my bodily
reaction to pain.

All I can say is, I am thankful for the tolerant gearing that allows me to
drive any speed from 30MPH to, well, far faster than the legal limit in

third
gear. And I cursed every red light to the darkest reaches of hell. When

did finally get home, I didn't use my hand for the rest of the night. I

had
to have DH undress me, and it wasn't even fun because I was so miserable

=/

I know exactly how you felt. I used to get cortisone shots in my elbow (for
tendonitis, or "tennis elbow"). It felt like it first feels when you hit
your "funny bone" (and why to they call it that - it certainly isn't funny
when you hit it), except that the pain stays at that level for a week or
more!

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old February 12th 05, 04:22 AM
Kreisleriana

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 00:21:07 GMT, "Magic Mood Jeep©"
yodeled:

Christina Websell wrote:
"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Katz" wrote in message
oups.com...
Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

When did you get on the satellite?

Theresa
Old February 12th 05, 11:25 AM
Marina

Christina Websell wrote:
I saved Nüle from certain injury a couple of times while she was here, by
pulling her back onto the pavement when she looked left first. She saved me
too, in Germany. I looked right, nothing coming and stepped out into the
road. Screech of brakes.
Traffic approaching from the left?? Silly idea..

My experience in mainland Europe has been that drivers are extremely
polite. You only have to look sideways at the road and all the cars
scream to a halt. The cyclists, however, are maniacz (no offense, Helen.
I'm talking about Germany and the Netherlands now (o: ). I'm afraid that
here in Helsinki, it often seems like motorists accelerate when they see
some one attempting to cross the road.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki
Old February 12th 05, 12:30 PM
O J

CatNipped wrote:

I know exactly how you felt. I used to get cortisone shots in my elbow (for
tendonitis, or "tennis elbow"). It felt like it first feels when you hit
your "funny bone" (and why to they call it that - it certainly isn't funny
when you hit it), except that the pain stays at that level for a week or
more!

I was surprised when I found out that it's because the humerus (as in
the bone in the upper arm) is pronounced the same as humorous (as in
funny or amusing). It's really that simple.

Regards and Purrs,
O J
Old February 12th 05, 12:46 PM
JBHajos

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:53:00 -0000, "Adrian" wrote:

JBHajos wrote:

Yes, indeed. It happened to my US Air Force son-in-law when he was
first stationed at Green(something or other) base in England. Jeanne

That was probably Greenham Common.
--

Right!! I'd forgotten - only remembered the "Green" part.
Thanks!!!!

Jeanne

Old February 13th 05, 01:13 AM
Don & Lisa

When I was a kid, we were stationed at Ben****ers. When the movers started
to leave for the day, one told my mom that he would "knock her up tomorrow"
That left her speechless. We still have a big laugh over that.
Head butts to all, Lisa.

"
. oups.com...

Old February 13th 05, 03:19 AM
Seanette Blaylock

Marina had some very interesting things to
say about Humor (or, rather, Humour):

My experience in mainland Europe has been that drivers are extremely
polite. You only have to look sideways at the road and all the cars
scream to a halt. The cyclists, however, are maniacz (no offense, Helen.
I'm talking about Germany and the Netherlands now (o: ). I'm afraid that
here in Helsinki, it often seems like motorists accelerate when they see
some one attempting to cross the road.

Sounds a bit like southern California. Did we export that to you or
did you send it to us? Either way, can we get rid of it in BOTH
places?

Old February 13th 05, 05:18 AM
Marina

My favourite site with Britsh-American misunderstanding is:

http://www.effingpot.com/

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki