Fish tostadas (was Cheryl S.)

Old August 2nd 05, 01:03 PM
Victor Martinez

Default Fish tostadas (was Cheryl S.)

1 red snapper filet (can substitute your favorite white flaky fish)
1/2 white onion
6 large limes
2 large fresh tomatoes
1 serrano pepper (can substitute jalapeno)
1 bunch cilantro
1/2 cup grapeseed oil (or another neutral flavor oil)
4 tostadas (often misnamed as chalupas in the US, basically a corn
tortilla that is fried in oil until crispy)

Squeeze all the limes. Finely chop onion and marinade in 1/3 of the lime
juice. Season the fish with salt and pepper and marinade in the rest of
the lime juice for an hour or so.
Chop the tomatoes and finely chop the serrano. Mix tomatoes and serranos
and season with salt and pepper.
In the food processor, blend the cilantro with the oil until cilantro
particles are tiny.
Grill the fish until well cooked but still juicy. Shred the fish and mix
with the onion mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
Spread fish mixture on tostada, top with tomatoes and cilantro oil.

YUM!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old August 2nd 05, 04:33 PM
Lesley

I've got to ask as I;ve seen it so many times before- what is cilantro?

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old August 2nd 05, 04:36 PM
jmcquown

Lesley wrote:
I've got to ask as I;ve seen it so many times before- what is
cilantro?

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Coriander leaves

Jill

Old August 2nd 05, 04:54 PM
Hopitus

Cilantro is a delicious garnish/addition to many Hispanic and other dishes.
It looks somewhat like parsley, but has a distinctive flavor that really
grows on you. Try it! (thanks Victor for not telling us to leave snapper's
head on).

Old August 2nd 05, 05:12 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-08-02, Hopitus penned:
Cilantro is a delicious garnish/addition to many Hispanic and other
dishes. It looks somewhat like parsley, but has a distinctive
flavor that really grows on you. Try it! (thanks Victor for not
telling us to leave snapper's head on).

It's also used in some asian dishes, like pad thai. I hate parsley,
but I love cilantro.

I'd never heard of it before moving to Colorado; now it's a favorite.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old August 2nd 05, 05:43 PM
Karen

On 2005-08-02, Hopitus penned:
Cilantro is a delicious garnish/addition to many Hispanic and other
dishes. It looks somewhat like parsley, but has a distinctive
flavor that really grows on you. Try it! (thanks Victor for not
telling us to leave snapper's head on).

It's also used in some asian dishes, like pad thai. I hate parsley,
but I love cilantro.

I'd never heard of it before moving to Colorado; now it's a favorite.

It's very refreshing, but use with a light hand.

Old August 2nd 05, 05:55 PM
jmcquown

Hopitus wrote:
Cilantro is a delicious garnish/addition to many Hispanic and other
dishes. It looks somewhat like parsley, but has a distinctive flavor
that really grows on you. Try it! (thanks Victor for not telling us
to leave snapper's head on).

Genetic to some people, cilantro/coriander leaves taste like soap. I'm one
of those, so I substitute Italian flat-leaf parsley if a recipe calls for
cilantro. It's usually not absolutely essential. I recently had canned
(Victor will kill me!) menudo (tripe and hominy stew) without it. I added
extra Mexican oregano, though, and a couple of dashes of ground chipolte
chili powder I like hot and spicy!

Jill

Old August 2nd 05, 06:03 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-08-02, Karen penned:

It's very refreshing, but use with a light hand.

Yes, only a pound or two in each dish *grin*

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old August 2nd 05, 06:31 PM
wafflycat

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
news

YUM!

Indeed it does sound good, Victor.

Today Nathan & I went out on a bike ride, we did 100km. We stopped for lunch
at one of our favourite spots and I had a lovely freshly baked wholemeal
baguette, still warm, filled with juicy prawns and sliced avocado, all with
a fresh side salad of mixed green leaves, red cabbage, cherry tomatoes and
cucumber. It was delicious.

Cheers, helen s

Old August 2nd 05, 06:58 PM
Hopitus

The Food Channel is big on that Italian flat-leaf parsley on cooking
shows....my son (who loves fresh menudo) says the canned is no good; don't
ask me. If I won't eat shrimp brains nor buffalo do you think I'd snarf down
cow's stomachs?
To each his/her own.