Ping NMR OT

Old April 23rd 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Ping NMR OT

And anyone else from Kentucky originally.....just saw in
news Miss Kentucky crowned Miss America and going
on to Miss Universe finals. NMR and I are among those
who can really appreciate how much the pageant has
changed since it's early days, LOL. The swimsuits have
changed, too, not to mention the "talent" competition.

Old April 23rd 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

She was crowned Miss USA, not Miss America. Those are separate pageants. I
think Miss America can go on to the Miss World pageant, and Miss USA can go
to the Miss Universe pageant.

I think the Miss USA pageant was always less conservative in its swimsuits,
etc.

Sandy

. ..

Old April 23rd 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-23, Sandy wrote:
She was crowned Miss USA, not Miss America. Those are separate pageants. I
think Miss America can go on to the Miss World pageant, and Miss USA can go
to the Miss Universe pageant.

Miss America is suis generis: the winner doesn't go anywhere else. Miss
World was started in the UK by a swimwear manufacturer and Miss Universe
was started in the USA by a swimwear manufacturer. There seems to be
a pattern to this. Miss America was started as a publicity gimmick to
promote Atlantic City and had about a 20 year head start on either. Miss
America has feeder contests with winners of local contests going to state
contests going to the national contest and still tries to cultivate an
amateur image, although the competition is very professionally managed.
The other beauty pagents are more frankly commercial.

--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.
Old April 23rd 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

. ..
On 2006-04-23, Sandy wrote:
She was crowned Miss USA, not Miss America. Those are separate pageants.
think Miss America can go on to the Miss World pageant, and Miss USA can
go
to the Miss Universe pageant.

Miss America is suis generis: the winner doesn't go anywhere else. Miss
World was started in the UK by a swimwear manufacturer and Miss Universe
was started in the USA by a swimwear manufacturer. There seems to be
a pattern to this. Miss America was started as a publicity gimmick to
promote Atlantic City and had about a 20 year head start on either. Miss
America has feeder contests with winners of local contests going to state
contests going to the national contest and still tries to cultivate an
amateur image, although the competition is very professionally managed.
The other beauty pagents are more frankly commercial.

Well, from this beauty-pageant unhip confused one, congrats anyway
to Kentucky for producing such a beautiful girl. The contests I usually
go to have other criteria: catshows have no talent competition and NO
swimsuits - beauty does count somewhat and good nature counts
bigtime (not biting or hissing the judges is a major plus!), LOL.
I've known some gorgeous cats who would be eleminated in the
first round.....

Old April 23rd 06, 07:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Thanks for the update I did not get a chance to see it THE DW thinks that
they are all just eye candy for men

Old April 23rd 06, 10:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"dnr" wrote in message
Well, from this beauty-pageant unhip confused one, congrats anyway
to Kentucky for producing such a beautiful girl. The contests I usually
go to have other criteria: catshows have no talent competition and NO
swimsuits - beauty does count somewhat and good nature counts
bigtime (not biting or hissing the judges is a major plus!), LOL.
I've known some gorgeous cats who would be eleminated in the
first round.....

Heh...tell your DW that I am not a man and there is plenty of
eye candy for them elsewhere.....sometimes I do wonder about
the girls' personalities.....i.e.do beautiful females have to make
much less effort socially in general than the nonbeautiful majority?
Some of the beautiful pop and film stars don't seem to have a
whole lot of good judgement, AFAI can tell, LOL.

Old April 25th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

In article , dnr
wrote:

And anyone else from Kentucky originally.....just saw in
news Miss Kentucky crowned Miss America and going
on to Miss Universe finals. NMR and I are among those
who can really appreciate how much the pageant has
changed since it's early days, LOL. The swimsuits have
changed, too, not to mention the "talent" competition.

Not sure if she's married or not, but SGT Lee Ann Hester, military
police, Kentucky National Guard, ought to be remembered there for, at
the very least, talent. She is the first woman to have been awarded the
Silver Star (the third highest US medal for valor) for direct combat.