Need advice regarding kidney disease and non-regenerative anemiafor feline

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 27th 20, 03:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Laura[_2_]

Default Need advice regarding kidney disease and non-regenerative anemiafor feline

Hello, cshenk, no problem at all with replying later (I'm often unable to reply right away as well). I do understand being swamped at work especially with the kind of work that you are doing. Hope you and all loved ones are safe and well.

We got Victoria from my parents (now deceased) and brother (disabled) almost two years ago. We've been having a rough time with seeing Victoria go downhill. No appetite, losing weight, loss of energy and interest. I'm wondering if there is something else going on with her in addition to the kidney disease and non-regenerative anemia. It's really exasperating for her and for me to syringe feed her as she refuses to eat on her own.

We love Victoria dearly and want her to become healthy again. It's very depressing to see her this way and she is only seven years young. We're doing all that we can for her and wouldn't have it any other way. We cherish our time with Victoria very much. Some have commented about how much we do for her. People would do the same for their human children. We feel the same about our dear sweet kitty. Animals deserve to be treated with as much love, dignity and respect as humans.

Good point with swapping cat foods. Victoria unfortunately was brought up on less desirable cat food due to money and lack of knowledge. This was before we got her.

I've tried Fancy Feast in the past with no luck (this was before Victoria became sick). I've tried so many different types of cat food and I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere. The veterinarians that we've taken Victoria to recommend Hill's prescription canned cat food. Specifically, the kidney diet. Victoria refuses to eat it. Heck, she's even refusing to eat the fresh, canned human tuna and fresh pre-cooked human chicken that she used to like..

Yes, I definitely agree with you on not using human eyes - "gravy is better" but instead go with what kitty likes. I also prefer grain-free.

Victoria hardly drinks water even though we are very thorough about keeping her water bowls clean and give her fresh, clean, cold water. Plus we give her running water from the faucet.

Thank you for the link to the Catit water fountain. I had looked into cat water fountains previously. One concern is that the water recirculates and is not fresh. We also looked at a kit that attached to the faucet and automatically turns on when the cat jumps up on the sink and turns off when the cat is done.

We give Victoria subcutaneous fluids every day as prescribed by a veterinarian at the animal hospital.

We've tried two different prescribed appetite stimulants. Mirtazapine (rubbed on her inner ear). That worked for maybe one or two days. Then it no longer worked. Next, we tried Entyce. That worked great for a couple of weeks or so but now it does not. I've stopped giving that to Victoria as it upsets her anyway to have medication given via syringe. She would drool a lot with that. Victoria still does drool even though I'm not giving her medicine via syringe. Whenever I get ready to give her the subcutaneous fluids, she drools due to association.

I'm now wondering if there is a highly recommended type of syringe for cat feeding and an appetite stimulant. I'm also looking for recommendations for an excellent tool to finely puree food for Victoria.

I've been using the 10 mL syringes that we get from the veterinarian. Those are *very* tedious to say the least, to work with. The tips are too small. Food gets stuck and creates a vacuum. Then I have to use a toothpick to de-clog the tip of the syringe.

I've tried a stick blender and an electric mixer with the whisk-like beaters to puree the food for Victoria. These are all that I have and they don't puree the food finely enough to prevent the clogging of the tip of the above-mentioned syringes.

I've looked on Amazon and Chewy for syringes for feeding cats. None of them seem like they are all that great and the tips are small. I've watched plenty of YouTube videos on how to syringe feed a cat.

Any recommendations for a good syringe (or should I maybe try a type of nursing bottle)? How about a good tool to finely puree the food and an appetite stimulant?

You and your fur babies take good care, be well and safe.