Cat in bin-woman charged

Old September 21st 10, 06:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

Default Cat in bin-woman charged

from my listening to the different bbc channels most of the time they are
well spoken and there is very little indication of the position of the
presenter. On occasion one of them gets a bit confrontational during an
interveiw but this was a real treat hearing this woman, was like the whole
of the UK had the right idea, Lee
ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com (Gandalf) wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 23:47:25 -0500, "Storrmmee"
wrote:

i habitually listen to bbc five live,and when they covered that she had
been
charged i could hear the pleasure at reading she had been charged in the
presenter's voice, Lee

Well, whoever was reading the news was a fellow cat lover!

There are a LOT of us, especially in England, from what I've heard

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100920-1, 09/20/2010
Tested on: 9/21/2010 12:05:09 AM

Old September 21st 10, 07:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 00:42:43 -0500, "Storrmmee"
wrote:

from my listening to the different bbc channels most of the time they are
well spoken and there is very little indication of the position of the
presenter. On occasion one of them gets a bit confrontational during an
interveiw but this was a real treat hearing this woman, was like the whole
of the UK had the right idea, Lee

Well, due to the excellent quality video, fro which I saw links posted
EVERYWHERE when it happened, this woman is pretty much universally
REVILED.

I have seen posts on other forums from avowed cat-haters, demanding this
woman's head on a platter. Literally.

One good thing to come from this is that it has raised awareness of
animal abuse, world wide.

I noticed that in the news report on the BBC website, she was charged
under a law that was only passed 4 years ago.

The USA has laws to protect animals from abuse, but enforcement is
spotty, at best, I'm sad to say.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100920-1, 09/20/2010
Tested on: 9/21/2010 1:15:03 AM

Old September 21st 10, 08:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
NettieCat

On 21 Sep, 07:15, ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com (Gandalf) wrote:

I have seen posts on other forums from avowed cat-haters, demanding this
woman's head on a platter. Literally.

One good thing to come from this is that it has raised awareness of
animal abuse, world wide.

I noticed that in the news report on the BBC website, she was charged
under a law that was only passed 4 years ago.

The USA has laws to protect animals from abuse, but enforcement is
spotty, at best, I'm sad to say.

The UK has had animal welfare laws prohibiting cruelty since 1911, but
the new Act has gone further, aiming to prevent suffering before it
happens.

Jeanette

Old September 21st 10, 12:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2010-09-21 4:31 AM, NettieCat wrote:
On 21 Sep, 07:15, ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com (Gandalf) wrote:

I have seen posts on other forums from avowed cat-haters, demanding this
woman's head on a platter. Literally.

One good thing to come from this is that it has raised awareness of
animal abuse, world wide.

I noticed that in the news report on the BBC website, she was charged
under a law that was only passed 4 years ago.

The USA has laws to protect animals from abuse, but enforcement is
spotty, at best, I'm sad to say.

The UK has had animal welfare laws prohibiting cruelty since 1911, but
the new Act has gone further, aiming to prevent suffering before it
happens.

Jeanette

Pre-emptive laws? They must be positively Orwellian if they criminalize
behaviour before it happens.

--
Cheryl P.
Old September 21st 10, 12:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On 21 Sep, 12:07, Cheryl wrote:

Pre-emptive laws? They must be positively Orwellian if they criminalize
behaviour before it happens.

Before an animal had to actually suffer or die before the people
concerned could be prosecuted now they can be prosecuted for behaviour
that might cause suffering even if it hasn't happened. In the case of
Lola she was not harmed but potentially could have been so they can
charge her with endangering Lola by providing an unsuitable
environment whereas before the law changed she could only have been
prosecuted if Lola has died or suffered say hyperthermia in the bin.

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulus Furballs
Old September 21st 10, 12:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
NettieCat

On 2010-09-21 4:31 AM, NettieCat wrote:

[...]

Nope, they just put a duty of care on people who own animals to make
sure that they provide for their animals' needs. In the past, if
someone left their cat abandoned in a house without food or water, and
a police officer or RSPCA official found the cat because the situation
had been reported within a couple of days, there was no case because
despite the fact that the owner had gone away permanently, the cat had
been rescued before it suffered. Under the new laws, it's enough that
the cat is abandoned, the law doesn't have to wait until it starves to
death before action can be taken.

For cat owners, there is a code of practise:-

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...s/cop-cats.pdf

A code of practise is not law in itself, but can be referred to in
criminal cases when a judgement is made. For instance, the code says
that if you allow your cat to breed, you should take all reasonable
steps to make sure that you have homes for all the kittens. Because
it's a code, rather than an actual law, it means that if all goes
well, no crime has been committed, but if someone finds that you've
abandoned a litter of kittens, you can be shown to be in breach of the
code, and can be prosecuted.

Of course, very few people know the code, but then very few people
know the Highway Code (UK rules of the road) but that doesn't stop
people from being prosecuted for breaking its rules. The legal
position is that you're expected to know the Highway Code if you
drive, and the 'cat code' if you own a cat.

Jeanette
Old September 21st 10, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com (Gandalf) wrote in message

That poor cat could have DIED in the big trash bin, had the weather been
very hot, or very cold. Grrrr!!!

Not only that, Gandalf, but our bins are collected by a lorry with a
compacter inside, and the contents are crushed as the bin empties as soon as
it enters the back of the lorry.
Everyone in the UK knows that, so she will have known that too. Had that
been "bin day" in that area, Lola would have been mashed before she was
found.

...blood pressure rising to dangerous levels.....must stop....!

My blood pressure rose to similar levels when I saw the original video on
the news, and that is why I posted a link to her employers. Not because she
deserves lynching (!) but to give the opportunity for the members of this
group to tell them what they thought about this person who they entrusted
with bank accounts.
She is one sick person.

Tweed

Old September 21st 10, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Cheryl wrote:

The UK has had animal welfare laws prohibiting cruelty since 1911, but
the new Act has gone further, aiming to prevent suffering before it
happens.

Pre-emptive laws? They must be positively Orwellian if they criminalize
behaviour before it happens.

Not pre-emptive of behavior, but pre-emptive of *suffering*. There still
has to be an act in order to prosecute. In this case, the woman endangered
the cat. The cat happened to get lucky and was found before experiencing
any lasting harm, but it could have ended in a much more tragic way. There
are laws against child endangerment, where someone can be prosecuted for
recklessly or negligently - to say nothing of deliberately - putting a
child in harm's way, regardless of how it turned out for the child. Why
not protect animals in the same way?

Joyce

--
The heck with top and bottom -- I want relationships with strangeness
and charm.
Old September 21st 10, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 16:55:34 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

[...]

Oh WOW! I didn't know that poor kitty could have been KILLED
***immediately*** if it had been trash collection day!

I sure hope that means that the woman who did this faces more severe
charge(s) AND penalties.

THe UK has MUCH better laws for animal abuse and/or cruelty that the USA
does!

Here, the laws can only be enforced AFTER the fact

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100921-1, 09/21/2010
Tested on: 9/21/2010 5:20:56 PM

Old September 22nd 10, 03:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mosey =^..^=[_7_]

IMO, people who abuse animals should be SO punished harshly...there is NO
excuse for doing such mean things to creatures whatsoever..nope ...cats AND
other animals as well. It makes me sick.!!! The abusers should be locked
in small maggot infested cages for oh say 3 days and then get a stiff fine
and prison time...but THAT"S in-humane!! Bah!!!.
Don't even get me started on harp seal clubbers.......
Bless the kind humans who do rescue the poor creatures.
Love
Kyla