Declaw the Humans, not the cats

Old April 19th 05, 05:30 AM
LemonPops via CatKB.com

Default Declaw the Humans, not the cats

Why mutilate cats so that they fit into a human environment? Why not just
alter the environment slightly?

I have a 6 x 9 sisal rug that Sweetums can tear to her heart's content. If
she barfs on it, it's easy to clean up..and the fibers absorb the rest. If
I sprinkle catnip on it, the leaves stay rooted in the fibers for days for
her hallucinogenic pleasure. She rolls and rubs and lies on it - it's her
main hangout. And...in another room is a very plush area rug that she
ignores. It just bores her.

If I play rough with her, I wear gloves - she bites the gloves and
scratches them, I guess she thinks she's caught a huge mouse or spider.
When the gloves are off, she's gentle and rubs and purs - she knows the
difference. She's never scratched the furniture...She doesn't have an
interest in Ethan Allen.

I have enough toys and scratching posts around to keep her occupied. My
main problem in life are the men friends who put their feet on the coffee
table.

I think I'll have their legs amputated below the knee.

Old April 19th 05, 05:41 AM

Here Here!

Old April 19th 05, 05:54 AM
Mary

"LemonPops via CatKB.com" wrote in message
Why mutilate cats so that they fit into a human environment? Why not just
alter the environment slightly?

Yeah! I'm with you, Lemon!

I have a 6 x 9 sisal rug that Sweetums can tear to her heart's content. If
she barfs on it, it's easy to clean up..and the fibers absorb the rest. If
I sprinkle catnip on it, the leaves stay rooted in the fibers for days for
her hallucinogenic pleasure. She rolls and rubs and lies on it - it's her
main hangout. And...in another room is a very plush area rug that she
ignores. It just bores her.

I have a rag rug in my office. Rag rugs are great for cats! Nobody can
tell if they've been at it or not!

If I play rough with her, I wear gloves - she bites the gloves and
scratches them, I guess she thinks she's caught a huge mouse or spider.
When the gloves are off, she's gentle and rubs and purs - she knows the
difference. She's never scratched the furniture...She doesn't have an
interest in Ethan Allen.

I have enough toys and scratching posts around to keep her occupied.

Have you tried the Alpine Scratcher? It's my cats' favorite.

My
main problem in life are the men friends who put their feet on the coffee
table.

I think I'll have their legs amputated below the knee.

Ooo, I like your style.

Old April 19th 05, 05:54 AM
Mary

wrote in message
ups.com...
Here Here!

I thought it was "Hear hear!"

Old April 19th 05, 06:29 AM
bigbadbarry

I stand corrected

Old April 19th 05, 06:39 AM
Mary

"bigbadbarry" wrote in message
oups.com...
I stand corrected

lol! It may not be "hear hear!" I don't know!

Old April 19th 05, 07:03 AM
bigbadbarry

I gave my cat a whole sofa. I stood it on end down a empty hallway (in
my house)...cristened it with catnip...it's all his.

He doing a nice job on it too...

He likes to scamper up the side and sleep on the top end. I never
bother him up there.

Old April 19th 05, 08:04 AM
Mary

"bigbadbarry" wrote in message
oups.com...
I gave my cat a whole sofa. I stood it on end down a empty hallway (in
my house)...cristened it with catnip...it's all his.

He doing a nice job on it too...

He likes to scamper up the side and sleep on the top end. I never
bother him up there.

Oh, man, this has got to be the Ultimate Cat Tree!!
That is so cool.

Old April 19th 05, 05:04 PM
CatNipped

[...]

Exactly! My grandchildren have done more harm to my furniture than my cats
have done and I wouldn't do to my cats what I wouldn't do to them. The
minute they make furniture with nerve endings I'll start worrying about
someone hurting it. Until then the beings who can feel pain take
precedence.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 20th 05, 04:43 AM
Mel

"LemonPops via CatKB.com" wrote in message ...
I have enough toys and scratching posts around to keep her occupied. My
main problem in life are the men friends who put their feet on the coffee
table.

I think I'll have their legs amputated below the knee.

I love this! Thank you for posting!

I adopted a 3 year old kitty recently, and it took less than a day for her to realise that the furniture does not get scratched. She watched my 14 year old male, and used his targets. Catnip on all the "meant to be attractive to kitty" items keep them away from furniture, which, quite frankly, doesn't really have all that great of a scratching surface in the first place.

What an excellent idea for handling the morons who walk into my livingroom with their dirty shoes on (I was raised to remove my shoes at the door), stop on my beautiful wool area rug, which is a very pale silver-grey and apricot....."Hey, nice rug!" Yes, so why are your filthy shoes on it, you moron!

Cats are doing what is natural. You would think human beings with the capacity to reason would have the common sense to drop their shoes at the door, and not track dirt all the way into someone else's house.

Food for thought!