ethics followup: Not the same cat

Old July 10th 04, 06:51 AM
Brian Link

Default ethics followup: Not the same cat

My wife and I went with great trepidation down to the rec center where
the neighborhood kid had seen the "missing cat" poster.

It wasn't the stray we've adopted. Much ado about nothing.

Well, maybe not nothing. It got me worked up again about how careless
some folks are with their pets. We adopted a stray several years ago
that was on death's doorstep - a raging infection, worms, mites,
everything. We coaxed him back to health and he turned out to be the
most loving, wonderful cat I've ever owned. Three years after his
adoption he developed some horrible FIV-like disease, and we had to
put him down, but he lived three years longer than he would have, and
he didn't have to spend another Minnesota winter outside.

But we later found out his origin.. a neighborhood family just decided
they didn't want a cat, so they let him outside and never let him back
in again.

I just hope we can get this current guy to live amicably with our
other two cats. I let him out for a peek at our bengal the other day,
and he zapped him like a cobra, wounding the bengal's ear. I'm
expecting a long, careful quarantine and introduction...

BLink
Old July 10th 04, 08:00 AM
Luvskats00

..." a neighborhood family just decided
they didn't want a cat, so they let him outside and never let him back
in again.

I would make sure that they knew everybody in the neighborhood (their schools,
local community, church, job, etc) knew. Lowlife scum.

Old July 10th 04, 01:06 PM
Wendy

"Brian Link" wrote in message
My wife and I went with great trepidation down to the rec center where
the neighborhood kid had seen the "missing cat" poster.

It wasn't the stray we've adopted. Much ado about nothing.

But we later found out his origin.. a neighborhood family just decided
they didn't want a cat, so they let him outside and never let him back
in again.

BLink

Glad to hear it wasn't the cat in the poster. One less thing to worry about.

I've heard of many people just locking the cats out. Frequently it seems to
happen when a female turns up pregnant. The people don't want the hassle of
kittens and are too cheap to get the animal neutered.

I had a neighbor move away and just leave her cat, dog and bird in the
house. Her brother came over to clean out the house and took the dog and the
bird - just left the cat to fend for herself.

Old July 10th 04, 06:23 PM
Cheryl

In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.rescue", Brian Link
artfully composed this message within
on 10 Jul 2004:

But we later found out his origin.. a neighborhood family just
decided they didn't want a cat, so they let him outside and
never let him back in again.

That is exactly how I got my Shadow. I knew who his previous people
were. To think they used to be my friends until they did that.

I'm glad you get to keep your kitty and you've done a good thing.

--
Cheryl