John Got a Cat!

Old January 22nd 12, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default John Got a Cat!

John has a friend whose granddaughter had to move and, for whatever reason,
couldn't take her cat with her. So they asked if he'd take her. She's an
11 year old calico named Precious. Naturally he didn't want her to be
dumped in a shelter, and he loves cats, so he said yes.

He brought her home two days ago. Of course she promptly hid. LOL He's got
both gooshy and dry food for her (the granddaughter gave him all the cat
supplies she had). He already had a litterbox. I warned him before he got
her, it's going to take her a while to adjust to a new home. (When I
brought Persia here from Tennessee she hid for two weeks, only coming out at
night to eat and use the litterbox.)

In the middle of that first night Precious got up on the bed with him. He
awoke to kitty whiskers tickling his face She gave him some head butts
and let him pet her. He drifted off again, happy and convinced she'd curl
up next to him and go to sleep. Wrong! While he was sleeping Precious got
down. She probably did a little exploring. When daylight came she was
hiding again. He was so disappointed!

I said honey, you have to be patient. Cats don't like change, especially
not an 11 year old cat. It will take some time but she'll get used to her
new surroundings in her own time. I think it's an excellent first step that
she got up on the bed to check him out that first night

Jill

Old January 22nd 12, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

Precious is so lucky to have found such a good slave at her age. I hope she
and John have many happy years together.
--
Adrian
Old January 22nd 12, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Update: (WAS: John Got a Cat!)

"Adrian" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

I hope so, too. It would have been awful for her to wind up in [even] a
no-kill shelter. It's sad, but people just don't want to adopt older cats.
I would, in an instant.

Anyway, he said the first day/night/next day Precious hid from him. Now she
won't leave him alone. LOL

He was up very early this morning and she came out of hiding. He showed her
where the wet food is and she ate, then used the litter box. Now she's all
over the place. Even in his lap! She keeps kneading his side and turning
around presenting her butt to him. LOL

He wanted to take a nap. She wasn't having any of it. No, come on, let's
play! He tried to take a nap but she was wide awake. He finally had to
close his bedroom door so he could catch 40 winks.

I don't think this cat is 11 years old. I know I've only had one cat, but
at age 11 Persia didn't want to play all day *and* all night. Maybe
Precious is just hyper because it's a new place? Or because someone guessed
her age wrong. If she originally came from a shelter it's entirely possible
no one knew her exact age, so they guessed at it. He needs to find out more
about where Precious came from.

Meanwhile, he says Precious is an absolute love bug. It seems Precious is
starved for attention. The woman who had Precious also has two dogs, some
sort of short (English?) bulldogs. Don't ask me why she could take the dogs
when she moved but not Precious. I suspect the dogs got the majority of
attention and Precious was merely there.

I suggested to John Precious is probably starved for affection. She
realizes he'll give it to her. I also suggested if it's going to be a
problem sleeping make sure she has a nice comfy sleeping spot in the living
room. Then go to bed and close the bedroom door. She may fuss but if she's
got a nice comfy place to sleep she'll get over it.

Persia has a comfy pyramid-shaped bed in the den. She often goes to sleep
in it when the sun goes down. It's got a nice fluffy pillow on the bottom
that she kneads. Maybe I should send John a "catwarming present"

Jill

Old January 23rd 12, 02:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Mark Oswald" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in
:
He was up very early this morning and she came out of hiding. He
showed her where the wet food is and she ate, then used the litter
box. Now she's all over the place. Even in his lap! She keeps
kneading his side and turning around presenting her butt to him. LOL

He wanted to take a nap. She wasn't having any of it. No, come on,
let's play! He tried to take a nap but she was wide awake. He
finally had to close his bedroom door so he could catch 40 winks.

I suggested to John Precious is probably starved for affection. She
realizes he'll give it to her. I also suggested if it's going to be a
problem sleeping make sure she has a nice comfy sleeping spot in the
living room. Then go to bed and close the bedroom door. She may fuss
but if she's got a nice comfy place to sleep she'll get over it.

Jill

The naming of a pet "Precious" creeps me out. It reminds me of the psycho
freak in "Silence of the Lambs". He named his pet Precious too. And then
there's the whole Gollum freaky charactor that calls his pet ring
Precious.

Sounds like a personal problem to me. He didn't name the cat.

Jill

Old January 23rd 12, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 01/22/2012 06:04 PM, Mark Oswald wrote:
wrote in
:
[...]

Can you suggest a better name for his cat? MLB
Old January 23rd 12, 03:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Mark Oswald wrote:

The naming of a pet "Precious" creeps me out. It reminds me of the psycho
freak in "Silence of the Lambs". He named his pet Precious too. And then
there's the whole Gollum freaky charactor that calls his pet ring
Precious.

I'm getting hungry. Can anyone help?

--
Joyce

The sun rose slowly, like a fiery furball coughed up uneasily onto a
sky-blue carpet by a giant unseen cat. -- Michael McGarel
Old January 23rd 12, 04:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

[...]

I often called Lindy "Precious", because she was. She had this cute little
thing of rolling onto her back, with her front paws curled under. I called
that her "precious pose", and when she did that, I always told her how
precious she was. Often if I called her precious she'd go into that pose.
She was about a year and a half old when I got her, and had obviously had a
home previously. I had a theory that she had been owned by a little old
lady who had died, and that her original name was "Precious".

So the name obviously has different meanings for different people.

Joy

Old January 23rd 12, 06:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:

I often called Lindy "Precious", because she was. She had this cute little
thing of rolling onto her back, with her front paws curled under. I called
that her "precious pose", and when she did that, I always told her how
precious she was.

Roxy does this, too. I call it her "fetching" pose. It's adorable, but
the curled-under paws are maybe just a *tad* manipulative - like she saw
it in the "How to Win Over Your Human" manual or something.

Often if I called her precious she'd go into that pose.

LOL!

She was about a year and a half old when I got her, and had obviously had a
home previously. I had a theory that she had been owned by a little old
lady who had died, and that her original name was "Precious".

Sounds like Lindy had low mileage and excellent care. Good deal!

--
Joyce

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you
come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people
who have come alive." -- Howard Thurman
Old January 23rd 12, 06:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

That's wonderful! Sounds like they're both happy to have found each
other. How is it that John already had a litterbox, if he didn't have
a cat? Just in case? Leftover from a previous cat?

Naturally, you will be asked to provide pictures of John's new
addition. Let me be the first.

Old January 23rd 12, 06:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jan 22, 7:04*pm, Mark Oswald wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote :

[...]

Precious.- Hide quoted text -

We used to get cats in the shelter with horrible names. (And I don't
mean "Precious" -- I think
that's a cute name).
We always changed the really awful names, but tried to change them to
something that sounded
similar. So "Satan" became "Satin", "Booger" became "Sugar", "Snot"
became "Dot". And if
those sound like bad names, there were worse ones that I wouldn't even
write here. :-)

Sherry

John Doe? Not really. chili Cat health & behaviour 0 December 1st 11 08:19 PM
hey John gotlimu4life Cat health & behaviour 0 September 12th 06 01:54 PM
Yo John Doe Freight Train Jones Cat health & behaviour 0 April 10th 06 06:26 AM
Yo John Doe LSL Cat anecdotes 0 September 16th 05 04:26 PM
Yo John Doe LSL Cat health & behaviour 0 September 16th 05 04:26 PM