Medical OT

Old January 24th 12, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
news[_12_]

Default kindle

On 01/19/2012 05:48 PM, Joy wrote:

Right. I intend to keep my 1,000 or so books, and to continue visiting the
library. However, there are times when an e-reader would be a great
advantage, and I'd love to have one.

Joy

I love borrowing e- books from my local public library on the kindle. I

find them on the website, and download them. Free! Sometimes there is a
wait, but I never have to wait long.
Old January 24th 12, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Medical OT

Thanks, I've had my CAT scan but don't know the results yet.
Tweed

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
just read am hoping all is well, Lee
"Christina Websell" wrote in message
I already have my appointments for my CAT scan and MRI scan of my brain.
This is worrying. It usually take ages.
One is for next Thursday. To get it so soon usually means the consultant
is worried too.
OMG. Just let me think someone cancelled and a brain tumour is not on
the cards.
TBH, I would not be surprised as I've been waiting since my ovarian ca in
05 for it to get me again, which it will at some point. I try not to
think about it as much as I can but also try to be optimistic. It's a
sinus problem, right?
My docs are doing the right thing by testing me as loss of smell & taste
can be brain tumour symptoms & with my history it's best not to take a
chance.
Tweed

Old January 24th 12, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 00:21:19 -0800, "Joy" wrote:

wrote in message
Joy wrote:

My theory about Stephen King is that he's an exception, and can do
whatever
he wants. His books badly, *badly* need editing, but why would his
publisher pay an editor? His books are going to be bestsellers no
matter
what's in them.

Many of King's books have been big ones, although none as big as this
one.
I'm well into it now, and, while it isn't at all what I was expecting
(at
least not so far), it's holding my interest as most of his books do, and
not
grossing me out as much as many of them.

I wasn't talking so much about the size, but rather the redundancy of
his wording. He'll use 3 metaphors to describe something when one would
do just fine. I know he likes to write in a conversational tone, which
is one of the things that makes his books appealing, but that doesn't
mean he has to ramble on.

About 10 or 15 years ago there was a trend of celebrities getting gigs
reading books for audio recordings. These weren't like Books On Tape,
because they were abridged. This is usually objectionable, but not with
Stephen King's books. I remember one book, "Desperation", from 1995 or
so. The physical book was over 700 pages, but I had the audio book. The
cuts they made for the audiobook made it into a reasonable-length story.

Incidentally, a couple of Isaac Asimov's books were pretty large, and he
refused to use a computer or word processor.

I didn't know that. Asimov, one of the masters of "hard" science
fiction, a Luddite?

--
Joyce

Yes, very much so. He even refused to fly. He wouldn't travel anywhere
unless he could go by train and take his typewriter with him. He 'had' to
spend at least six hours a day writing.

Joy

One of my favorites. His books on the Bible are very good reads,
explaining how they came about.
Old January 24th 12, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:

wrote:

I didn't know that. Asimov, one of the masters of "hard" science
fiction, a Luddite?

Yes, very much so. He even refused to fly. He wouldn't travel anywhere
unless he could go by train and take his typewriter with him. He 'had' to
spend at least six hours a day writing.

That's interesting. I guess he enjoyed the wonders of modern technology
only in the fantasy that he himself created.

I can understand this, actually. I've worked in the tech industry for 30
years, but I'm not particularly attracted to gadgets, and I'm pretty slow
to upgrade what gadgets I do own. My last computer was 10 years old when
I bought a "new" one (actually a used one, and it's not so new either). I
never rush out to buy the latest wizzy toy, although I eventually get
around to it (long after everyone else has moved on to something else).
Many of the techie toys I own are hand-me-downs from a good friend after
she's upgraded. I still use a VCR and a flip phone, and have never used
a GPS system (I have a decent sense of direction so why would I need it?)

It can be a little embarrassing when talking to fellow computer techies,
who seem to feel that we should all have the very latest of everything.
On the other hand, the stuff I use works fine, and I'm not all that
anxious to part with my money. That's the issue in a nutshell: cheapness.
I'm not so much afraid of new technology as I am afraid of debt.

But I also hate how all this obsolescence is deliberately planned. It's
so wasteful and toxic. There's no real reason to dump out perfectly usable
stuff every 18 months.

/rant

--
Joyce

Beauty and music seduce us first; later, ashamed of our own
sensuality, we insist on meaning. -- Clive Barker
Old January 25th 12, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
MaryL wrote:

Do you like to read? I have a Kindle, and I absolutely love it.

And there you took over my thread.
Normally it would not matter but today it does.

Old January 25th 12, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

wrote in message
MaryL wrote:

Do you like to read? I have a Kindle, and I absolutely love it.

And there you took over my thread.
Normally it would not matter but today it does.

- - - - - - - - - -

I apologize for that. I did not intend to take over the thread, and I did
not change the subject. I was actually trying to give you a helpful
suggestion because it would be so easy for you to sit at home and order
books (many of them free), and I know it's difficult for you to get out at
this time. However, you did explain why that would not be practical for
you.

You're right, of course...This is one of those times when a small part of
one thread seemed to take on a life of its own and became as long (or
longer) than the original thread.

MaryL

Old January 25th 12, 01:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

wrote in message
MaryL wrote:

Do you like to read? I have a Kindle, and I absolutely love it.

And there you took over my thread.
Normally it would not matter but today it does.

I'm totally confused. I didn't write the above. I have contributed to
this thread, but nothing in this past was part of it. Also, I don't
remember you starting this thread, but I might be wrong. Why does it
matter today? What's happening? You haven't gotten results back from
the CT scan already, have you? I remember you saying it was going to
take a while before you found out.

--
Joyce

- Mommy loves you too my sweaty litter baby fire
- Ummm what mom?
- MY SWEET LITTLE BABY GIRL!! sorry honey!
-- damnyouautocorrect.com
Old January 25th 12, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

wrote in message ...

Christina Websell wrote:

wrote in message
MaryL wrote:

Do you like to read? I have a Kindle, and I absolutely love it.

And there you took over my thread.
Normally it would not matter but today it does.

I'm totally confused. I didn't write the above. I have contributed to
this thread, but nothing in this past was part of it. Also, I don't
remember you starting this thread, but I might be wrong. Why does it
matter today? What's happening? You haven't gotten results back from
the CT scan already, have you? I remember you saying it was going to
take a while before you found out.

--
Joyce

- Mommy loves you too my sweaty litter baby fire
- Ummm what mom?
- MY SWEET LITTLE BABY GIRL!! sorry honey!
-- damnyouautocorrect.com

- - - - - - - -

That quotation (two sentences) is part of a paragraph that I wrote to Tweed
in another thread. I asked if she liked to read because I thought a Kindle
might help with her problem of getting out to do things. She explained why
that would not be practical. Then, someone was interested in Kindle and
started a new thread. So, that's what Tweed was referring to. I certainly
wasn't trying to take over a thread where she was talking about her medical
problems, but the new thread did grow longer and longer.

MaryL

Old January 25th 12, 03:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MaryL wrote:

wrote in message ...

Christina Websell wrote:

wrote in message
MaryL wrote:

Do you like to read? I have a Kindle, and I absolutely love it.

And there you took over my thread.
Normally it would not matter but today it does.

I'm totally confused. I didn't write the above. I have contributed to
this thread, but nothing in this past was part of it. Also, I don't
remember you starting this thread, but I might be wrong. Why does it
matter today? What's happening? You haven't gotten results back from
the CT scan already, have you? I remember you saying it was going to
take a while before you found out.

But what's wrong with starting an offshoot thread? I can understand
why continuing under the same thread but changing the topic being discussed
would annoy the first poster, since they'd had a different agenda for
starting that thread.

I think I might have been the one who did this, actually, because I
remember being interested in the Kindle. But what's wrong with starting
an offshoot thread? I can understand why continuing under the same
thread, but allowing drift to take over the conversation, would annoy
the first poster. But I changed the subject line, *and I also removed
all the references*, effectively starting a brand-new thread. So the
"kindle" thread shouldn't have been connected to Tweed's original thread,
and I don't know how she knew that it had come from her previous thread.

sigh I thought I understood this.

--
Joyce - doesn't use threading

I want freedom, the right to self expression, everyone's right to
beautiful radiant things. -- Emma Goldman