Can Cats Eat Dog Food?

Old September 5th 03, 06:52 AM
JHBennett

Default Can Cats Eat Dog Food?

I'll spare you all the long story of what's behind the question, but I
called my Vet's office and got a less than satisfactory answer to the
question. The person who tried to answer went on about cats needing a
higher protien diet than dogs, since they were carnivors (and what,
praytell, are dogs?) etc., etc. I was told something about needing more
meat, and wondered to myself *whence commeth dry cat food, such as Meow
Mix?* Our ferals scarfed up Pedigree dog food, to the last trace in the
bowel. Regarding the need for more protien, if such is the case, why not
eat more of it?
So far, I think I've been getting the benefit of well intentioned, but
unsupported, conjecture. Anybody know the answer?
Cheers,
Jack

Old September 5th 03, 07:51 AM
Marina

"JHBennett" wrote
I'll spare you all the long story of what's behind the question, but I
called my Vet's office and got a less than satisfactory answer to the
question. The person who tried to answer went on about cats needing a
higher protien diet than dogs, since they were carnivors

This is true.

(and what,
praytell, are dogs?)

Dogs are omnivorous.

etc., etc. I was told something about needing more
meat, and wondered to myself *whence commeth dry cat food, such as Meow
Mix?*

Dry cat food is not nutritionally sound (don't believe the commercials!),
and often causes kidney damage.

Our ferals scarfed up Pedigree dog food, to the last trace in the
bowel. Regarding the need for more protien, if such is the case, why not
eat more of it?

Probably their tummies were full from all the veggies in there, which are
completely useless to cats. They need more meat.

--
Marina

Old September 5th 03, 12:44 PM
JHBennett

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message
in article , Marina at
wrote on 9/5/03 1:51 AM:

"JHBennett" wrote
[...]

Absolutely. Most essentially, besides not enough protien, dog food lacks
taurine (aside from a few other essentials) which is absolutely a factor

in
cat health. Cats lacking this (an element provided only in animal meat)

can
develop blindness and other illness. It is essential, even if a cheaper
brand, to feed the cat food, not dog food. I repeat it's imperative to

feed
them cat food.

Karen

Ah ha! Gotcha, Karen. Now I understand and thanks ;-)
Jack

Old September 5th 03, 05:36 PM
Kierstyn

I know from personal experience that cats eating dog food shortens
their lives and ruins their kidneys. . . .my baby would eat our dogs
food instead of his, and I would give him some to make sure he ate
something, and it ended up making him lose his fur and get really sick
a lot.

Hope this helps!
Kierstyn
"JHBennett" wrote

Old September 5th 03, 12:05 PM
Margaret

I have read and been told that cat food contains an ingredient called
Tourine, which is vital to a cat's eye sight. Dog food doesn't have
it.

Margaret

Old September 5th 03, 06:56 PM
Seanette Blaylock

"JHBennett" had some very interesting things to say
about Can Cats Eat Dog Food?:

I'll spare you all the long story of what's behind the question, but I
called my Vet's office and got a less than satisfactory answer to the
question. The person who tried to answer went on about cats needing a
higher protien diet than dogs, since they were carnivors (and what,
praytell, are dogs?) etc., etc. I was told something about needing more
meat, and wondered to myself *whence commeth dry cat food, such as Meow
Mix?* Our ferals scarfed up Pedigree dog food, to the last trace in the
bowel. Regarding the need for more protien, if such is the case, why not
eat more of it?
So far, I think I've been getting the benefit of well intentioned, but
unsupported, conjecture. Anybody know the answer?

I do know that cat food contains a nutrient called "taurine" that is
essential to cats [they go blind or worse without it], but that dogs
don't need, so it's not found in dog food in sufficient quantity for a
cat's needs.

--
Seanette Blaylock
"You attribute perfect rationality to the whole of humanity, which has
Old September 5th 03, 07:18 PM
JHBennett

That seems the consistent answer from the *A* students around these parts.
I have problems with "do such and so" without knowing why, you see. And
thanks for providing the answers.
Cheers,
Jack
"Seanette Blaylock" wrote in
message ...

Old September 5th 03, 07:01 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

JHBennett wrote:

I'll spare you all the long story of what's behind the question, but I
called my Vet's office and got a less than satisfactory answer to the
question. The person who tried to answer went on about cats needing a
higher protien diet than dogs, since they were carnivors (and what,
praytell, are dogs?) etc., etc. I was told something about needing more
meat, and wondered to myself *whence commeth dry cat food, such as Meow
Mix?* Our ferals scarfed up Pedigree dog food, to the last trace in the
bowel. Regarding the need for more protien, if such is the case, why not
eat more of it?

Short answer: Cats' disgestive tracts are much shorter than dogs.
Hence more efficient at digesting protein, but cannot handle as much
fiber content, and require a more nutritionally "dense" diet. (A dog,
on the other hand, can get fat very quickly, if you feed it cat food.)
Dog food also does not contain some of the nutrients - like taurine -
that cats require more of, and cannot manufacture for themselves.
Old September 5th 03, 07:47 PM
William Hamblen

In article , JHBennett wrote:

I'll spare you all the long story of what's behind the question, but I
called my Vet's office and got a less than satisfactory answer to the
question. The person who tried to answer went on about cats needing a
higher protien diet than dogs, since they were carnivors (and what,
praytell, are dogs?) etc., etc.

Cats need more of some amino acids, like taurine, than dogs. For example,
taurine deficiency can cause blindness. Dog kibble doesn't have the
right balance.

Feeding dilemma Yoj Cat anecdotes 11 August 24th 03 11:48 PM
Cats and Food Seanette Blaylock Cat anecdotes 1 August 20th 03 10:37 PM
Raiders of the Large Tub of Kitten Food Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 4 August 11th 03 07:29 AM
Feeding dilemma Victor M. Martinez Cat anecdotes 4 July 22nd 03 08:31 PM