The new two (with photos!)

Old June 4th 05, 08:39 AM

Default The new two (with photos!)

Hi,

Yesterday evening my g/f and I brought home our new sweetest kitties, Yoshi
(boy) whom is white and black, and Kimber (girl) who is a likkle tabby. They
are half brother and sister:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/derien/tags/kittens/

Got them home by 18:30 and they settled in a treat! We've never had cats, so
this is all new to us. Everything has been planned and we got two of
eveything etc etc and they get on sooo well and play together all the time.
They are the best of friends already

Yoshi (white and black) took to the litter tray well and did a wee and poo
last night no problem, but Kimber (tabby) is a bit smaller and was the runt
of the litter (she's a real fighter!) and decided to wee next to the litter
tray last night, and this morning she did a poo on what is supposed to be a
bed for them in the living room seen here with Yoshi messing about on it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/derien/17348703/

We were a bit dissapointed about her pooing on the bed, but it's not a big
problem. But I am curious if there is anything we can do to nip it in the
bud. We've cleaned the bed and put Kimbers food on where she fouled to stop
her doing it again.

The two litter trays are in the dining room, about three feet apart in a
low/no traffic area, and Kimbers box is behind a two foot tall cardboard box
for extra privacy. Should we just wait and see if she takes to it after a
day or two (see is she cpies her bro), or is there anything we can do to
assist or that we are doing wrong??

Many thanks,

J&J

Old June 4th 05, 02:16 PM
Priscilla Ballou

In article ,
"J" wrote:

We were a bit dissapointed about her pooing on the bed, but it's not a big
problem. But I am curious if there is anything we can do to nip it in the
bud. We've cleaned the bed and put Kimbers food on where she fouled to stop
her doing it again.

The two litter trays are in the dining room, about three feet apart in a
low/no traffic area, and Kimbers box is behind a two foot tall cardboard box
for extra privacy. Should we just wait and see if she takes to it after a
day or two (see is she cpies her bro), or is there anything we can do to
assist or that we are doing wrong??

Put her poo from the bed into the litter pan. Keep doing that if she
repeats. I suspect she'll catch on.

Priscilla
--
"Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong
Old June 4th 05, 02:28 PM
bigbadbarry

J wrote:
Many thanks,

J&J

They are attractive kittens!

About the potty training.

It's funny, I think when kittens are born on the ground (outside)...
They are very easy to house train.

Let me know; I'm just curios, but I would guess these kittens were born
away from the smell of dirt etc.

They are cute.

Old June 4th 05, 03:35 PM

"Barb" wrote

They are adorable.

Pickles pooped behind the bureau when she first came home at 8 weeks old.
blocked it off so she couldn't get back there any more and from then on
she
used the litter pan. I think she didn't think to run down stairs.

You may have to get rid of the bed if the kitten keeps using it in the
wrong
way.

Enjoy them!

Thanks everyone for the responses!

We've just been out and got some clumping clay based litter and another
(third!) litter tray instead of the wood based stuff the woman we got the
cats off was using.

As soon as I put it on the floor, Yoshi was sniffing around it and within 10
mins he'd done a poo and a wee in it! He's a real star! I cleaned out the
clumped litter and plonked Kimber (the prob one!) in another tray with the
new litter in it in another room. She walked off and went and did a wee in
the one Yoshi just used! LOL!

They are really close!

I am so proud of her! And they haven't been with us 24 hours yet!

Thanks everyone, and I hope you liked the photos!

J&J

Old June 4th 05, 03:36 PM

"J" wrote

Thanks everyone for the responses!

We've just been out and got some clumping clay based litter and another
(third!) litter tray instead of the wood based stuff the woman we got the
cats off was using.

As soon as I put it on the floor, Yoshi was sniffing around it and within
10 mins he'd done a poo and a wee in it! He's a real star! I cleaned out
the clumped litter and plonked Kimber (the prob one!) in another tray with
the new litter in it in another room. She walked off and went and did a
wee in the one Yoshi just used! LOL!

BTW, we've got rid of all the wood based litter and put the clay based stuff
in all three trays, so fingers crossed!

Old June 4th 05, 04:05 PM
Mary

"J" wrote in message
k...
Hi,

Yesterday evening my g/f and I brought home our new sweetest kitties,

Yoshi
(boy) whom is white and black, and Kimber (girl) who is a likkle tabby.

They
are half brother and sister:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/derien/tags/kittens/

They are so beautiful and totally adorable!

Got them home by 18:30 and they settled in a treat! We've never had cats,

so
this is all new to us. Everything has been planned and we got two of
eveything etc etc and they get on sooo well and play together all the

time.
They are the best of friends already

Wonderful!

Yoshi (white and black) took to the litter tray well and did a wee and poo
last night no problem, but Kimber (tabby) is a bit smaller and was the

runt
of the litter (she's a real fighter!) and decided to wee next to the

litter
tray last night, and this morning she did a poo on what is supposed to be

bed for them in the living room seen here with Yoshi messing about on it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/derien/17348703/

We were a bit dissapointed about her pooing on the bed, but it's not a big
problem. But I am curious if there is anything we can do to nip it in the
bud. We've cleaned the bed and put Kimbers food on where she fouled to

stop
her doing it again.

Priscilla is right on about putting the poo in the box. She will catch on
she is just
little.

The two litter trays are in the dining room, about three feet apart in a
low/no traffic area, and Kimbers box is behind a two foot tall cardboard

box
for extra privacy. Should we just wait and see if she takes to it after a
day or two (see is she cpies her bro), or is there anything we can do to
assist or that we are doing wrong??

It sounds like you have the trays in a good private place. Maybe after
she eats pick her up and praise her and pet her and put her gently in the
box and take her little paws and kind of move litter around. Make it
a good experience for her and she will go back and instinct will take
over.

Since these are your first cats, you probably have lots of questions
or may not even know what questions to ask! Lots of good people
here have a lot of experience with kittens, so please stick around!

One thing that is very important is that you train them not to bite
or scratch your hands. What is cute now is not ina 10-lb cat!
A good way is to never play with them with your hands but use
a toy--and if they do bite you even lightly to say "OW!" and
retreat and stop playing.

Another is to have things they like to scratch better than your
furniture! Many times the scratching posts sold are too short.
The scratcher that made my cats totally ignore the furniture is
he

http://www.petcarecentral.com/cospetprodsc.html

It is called the Cosmic Catnip Alpine Scratcher and the
site above ships internationally.

Have fun and keep the photos coming!!

Old June 4th 05, 04:27 PM
Barb

They are adorable.

Pickles pooped behind the bureau when she first came home at 8 weeks old. I
blocked it off so she couldn't get back there any more and from then on she
used the litter pan. I think she didn't think to run down stairs.

You may have to get rid of the bed if the kitten keeps using it in the wrong
way.

Enjoy them!

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

Old June 4th 05, 05:42 PM
mlbriggs

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 07:39:38 +0000, J wrote:

[...]

So cute!

Yahoo photos Candace Cat health & behaviour 5 May 2nd 05 12:58 PM
Added photos Tanada Cat anecdotes 30 May 27th 04 02:05 PM
Duffy and Holly (new photos) MaryL Cat anecdotes 23 October 11th 03 01:28 PM
Duffy the Acrobat (new photos) MaryL Cat health & behaviour 4 October 6th 03 02:09 AM
More Photo's Lois Reay Cat anecdotes 6 September 30th 03 09:28 AM