Marlo ESCAPES and is recaptured

Old August 17th 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh via CatKB.com

Default Marlo ESCAPES and is recaptured

bookie wrote:
Espy, Nipsy, and Marlo were let out into the fenced in backyard after
I got home from work, and I was in the basement trying to figure out

[quoted text clipped - 43 lines]

yes chips are not always the answer, bit of a story for you...

last christmas (2005) i was driving up the motorway on my way to my
aunts for lunch and there was a mound of ginger and white fur lying by
the side of the road. I stopped of course as I could just tell it was
a cat, and wondered if I coudl help if it was just injured.
unfrotunately it was very dead, probably killed that morning, pretty
grim sight torn across his plump middle, crushed in head (so hopefully
he had been hit on his head and died quickly), and so i thought that I
woudl take him back home to his mum as she woudl no doubt be missing
him and even though it was christmas morning and all it is always
better to know what has happened.
unfortunately there was no collar to identify him with, he was
obviuosly someone's pet as he was rather plump and his fur was very
thick, but as it was the motorway there were no houses anywhere for
miles as far as I could see, and there are high fences along the side
at the top of a verge, and on the other side just fields. If there had
been a house nearby I would have gone and knocked on the door to ask
but there was nothing around.

I did think about wrapping him up and trying to find a vet to scan him
but i was well of my area and it being xmas morning I doubt that any
vets would be open for business in order to help out so i decided
against it. i felt so awful just leaving him there, i pushed him off
the main carriageway and onto the grass so he would not get hit again,
don't know why, just for his dignity really. I just got so upset
thinking of his mum and his family probably waiting for him at home
with his xmas present sitting under the tree for him and him never
comign home to open it or to enjoy a few slices of turkey under the
table, then a long snooze in the afternoon with his family in front of
the queens speech, safe and warm surrounding by people who love him. I
thought of what an awful christmas that family wil have without him
comgin home, always wondering what happened to him, i just wish i
coudl have found them and let them know. ok it would probably not be
the best news to wake up to on xmas morning but if it were me i would
rather know and have 'closure', find his body and bury him in his
garden where he shoudl be allowed to rest inpeace.

i think that was the one time I wished a cat had been wearing a
collar, just that once, but in the main i dont' like them at all.

I now have to hug jessie very hard and tell her she is never to go and
play on the M40, not that she ever bother to leave the house much
these days anyway. I feel really sad now

bookie

Oh dear....

shudder

I have only had one feline family member whom we lost to a RTA, (you would
think that I learnt right then, wouldn't you?), but I was a new slave @ the
time and I thought I knew it all- I guess I must have been around 17 @ the
time, & in my first home, so I had to have a cat to make it a real home.
Little Puss lived with me @ that house for about 2 years, before one day a
chap knocked @ my front door, to tell me that he had found Little Puss on the
side of the A1, & that he had picked him up & buried him for me. He was only
able to come and tell me this, because he had a collar & name barrel on him.
Things like chipping weren't around then. I thanked him for coming to tell me
& for burying him too. I was ever so grateful that he did, otherwise I would
always have wondered what became of him, & why he never came home.

This is a difficult one too. Without that collar, this chap would never have
found me, & I was so grateful for that. But, OTOH, having seen what poor Lucy
(fur!!) went through., & having to have her collar surgically removed, I
don't have any collars on your mistress's, or master's. We just take extra
precautions to ensure that they never get out. It's difficlt, because
accidents do happen, & I often wonder if I am doing the right thing?

If one of them were to get through a 2" gap in the downstairs cloakroom, then
who would know where to bring them. As djk points out, you wouldn't get much
further with a chip in them, because unless they are scanned by another vet,
no one would ever know where they came from. I have come to the conclusion
that as I am already the nutty woman with all of those cats, that if anyone
did find one of our crew, they would most likely know that they were one of
our cat's- or do the rotten thing & take them in, never to be seen again.

It's a difficult one,
Sheelagh"o"

--
Sheelagh "o"