What would do with your cats if you were evicted?

Old March 22nd 09, 04:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

Default What would do with your cats if you were evicted?

That is the question my brother asked me during a very tense and
tearful conversation I just had with him.

I went to court for my restitution hearing only to find out that the
drunk driver's lawyer had it postponed another month so he can discuss
the damages I'm claiming with his client.

My calls to the insurance companies about my property and medical
claims informed me that the claims are pending while people are still
sending in their paperwork.

while I had two job interviews on wed, all attempts to talk to a live
person at teh unemployment office have failed and they have closed
their doors to walk-in appointments.

I have about a grand in the bank and rent alone is $1100. And the BF
who moved in at Xmas has also been unable to find a job.

I had a bit of an emotional breakdown last night, and most of my
family members are out of the country so the only person I could call
for any type of help or support was my brother.

The relationship between me and brother is strained and has been for
years. I view him as a harsh stuck-up, insufferable person and I'm
sure the feeling is mutual.

After talking with him for an hour he advised me that he would help me
and ensure that I would not go belly up. We starting talking through
the expenses and finally we came to the cats.

"You know what I'm gonna say, Kristi.'

And I told him, "I'm gonna tell you right now, it's not going to
happen."

And that's when he asked me that question. And I honestly couldn't
not answer, and I just got more and more upset as he went on about how
they are an expense and I would have to find homes for them. Since
right now I have no source of income, from his standpoint it is
outrageous for him to send me money to support me, my BF AND the
cats. I asked him if he would give away his dog. And without
hesitation he said yes. Figures, he's married and has a baby.

He said it would be better for them to be with someone who could take
care of them, possibly temporarily until I got back on my feet. And
also I have to think logically.

well i don't think I could forgive myself if I gave up my
babies......I would spend more stress worrying about them and
constantly second-guessing myself

But if I got evicted and had nowhere else to go, I couldn't just keep
them in carriers in my backseat....I mean THEN under those
circumstances I would try to find a friend to give them TEMPORARY
care.......

Honestly, it would be several weeks before I officially got evicted,
if that ever happens, and then I would have to come up with a plan
before it became official....

argh......i jsut don't know....my head hurts.....

Which led me to post this on here.....how would you care for your
babies if, by some chance, you got evicted or forced to make drastic
finance cuts?

Kristi
Old March 22nd 09, 05:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Mischief wrote:

Which led me to post this on here.....how would you care for your
babies if, by some chance, you got evicted or forced to make drastic
finance cuts?

I've thought about that, with the current financial situation. I have a
pretty secure job, but the whole university sector is being restructured
here in Finland, and you never know what it may lead to in the end.

I'd probably just have to rely on family, and hope they were in a
position to help me. They're all cat people, so I'm pretty sure none of
them would seriously ask me to give up my cats (though Mum often remarks
on how expensive it must be to feed them a raw diet). I'm so sorry that
your brother upset you. OTOH, if you look at it in a cool and detached
way, it's hard to argue with his logic. Being cool and detached about it
is the hard thing. Wish I could help you more, but all I can do is send
purrs and hope that things will work out for you. Fingers crossed for
those job interviews!

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old March 22nd 09, 02:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

Gramby and i have discussed this on more than one occasion, and the first
priority is what is best for them, but having said that, it might be that
living in a tent in a campgrownd with them in an outdoor pen is better than
giving to a shelter or someone else, most of mine have health or emtional
issues that might not be good in a shelter situation, and Tiger for example,
is at least 14 and maybe 16 he is nurotic, borderline on the thyriod issue,
hads EBS and completely freaks out when he sees a cardboard box getting
filled. so in his case, putting him in a shelter is a death sentence,...
Chester is agreeable and would get adopted easily... so it is not only
situational to your situation but theirs, and each cat must be considered
individually, and i know i am rambling but i also think there are other
expenses that can be cut in everyone's life that they think of as nessary...
i know someone who surrendered a cat because she couldn't afford it, but the
week after she did this, she was complaining that her cabel bill went up ten
dollars, when i asked what her bill was out of curisoty, * we don't have it
and haven't for over 15 years* she informed that until it went up it was
$118.00 but would now be $128.00 Now i don't know about you but i can feed a
lot of cats for that kind of money each month, and btw, that did not include
her phone or net service, so before you panic, see what else you can cut and
see where you can conserve, i know heating/cooling is an issue because of
your breathing, but see what you can get rid of and honestly what you can
sell to get a bit of cash and conserve, i don't mean this to be a lecture
but i know you are upset so am trying to give you some things to think about
besides the upset part, Lee

Old March 22nd 09, 02:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 21, 9:45*pm, Mischief wrote:

First of all
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Kristi})))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))

After talking with him for an hour he advised me that he would help me
and ensure that I would not go belly up. *We starting talking through
the expenses and finally we came to the cats.

"You know what I'm gonna say, Kristi.'

Grit your teeth and take his help unless he puts getting rid of the
cats as a condition of his help. This is a set back but the court
will sort the restitution out- is there some way you can appeal for a
quicker judgement or is the drivers lawyer hoping you'll settle for
less if they make you wait? The insurance will come through as you
say it would be several weeks before you could be evicted- is it
possible you can explain to your landlord what the position is? (In
the UK for example, you can't even be taken to court for not paying
rent if a claim for housing benefit is still being processed and even
if you do go to court as long as you can make a reasonable offer they
would usually suspend action so long as you kept to the offer) if
you've been there a while and are usually a good tenant they might
give you breathing space- it never hurts to ask.

And you say the rest of your family are out of the country? There's
always ,money transfer- if you think they might be more sympathetic
and helpful then why not ask them?

But anyway, make it clear to him your cats are not an "expense" that
can be cut out of the budget but take the help, you and he may not get
on and it hurts anyone;s pride to have to ask but the offer is there
so say "Thanks" and grab the money! I've had to ask for bail outs
from my youngest brother before now more than once- okay he's a
sweetie, he'd blow a fuse if I got rid of the cats to save money, he
always says he's just glad that he's in a position where he earns
enough money to be able to help out family members when they need it
and I still hate doing it but I've done it for my cats adn that's how
you have to see it.

I'm sure you will find another job as will the BF- so for now keep
calm, I know it's hard but it will pass....Believe me, I;ve been
there, done that and eaten the t-shirt!

I asked him if he would give away his dog. And without
hesitation he said yes. Figures, he's married and has a baby

You should have asked him if he would give away the baby! Seriously
it's one thing to say "I'd get rid of the dog" when it's a theoretical
question and quite another to actually do the deed!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old March 22nd 09, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I know either of the kids would take Piglet because she was "Dads Cat." O T
would be no problem because he is big, cuddly and loves people. Willow
would completely freak out. She is nearly as wild as you would want in the
house and after a couple of years, we have finally established the basic
ground rules. She does as she pleases and I work around it. I get cuddles
but, only at night and so long as I don't try to hug too much.

Sadie with her abandoment issues and the "one person dog" she is, would be
put down. I couldn't give her to anyone, or a shelter, at least not at this
point.

Old March 22nd 09, 04:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

First Kristi Your brother has revealed his true colors. I am sorry to say
that

Find another place to live ASAP a small 1 bedroom or something $1100 for
my area at least is very high. That is a 3 bedroom house plus a pool here
but IDK where you live to say that much on that

Also about eviction it is not weeks but months

Kristi IMO lie to your brother unless he is going to make you account for
all your money that is expended. Also you need to make the decision is Boy
Friend worth it to keep around right now. You may have to tell him he needs
to find his own place to stay right now till you can afford too make it on
your own again.

I am sorry that I am being blunt. I made arrangements with my best friend
if anything ever happened that he would take care of my cats temporary till
I got back on my feet. In event of our deaths I asked my vet to find loving
homes for them

Old March 22nd 09, 04:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

I forgot to say I am very sorry you are going through this. I wish you and
your four legs the best of luck through this whole thing. Please don't take
me above post as a lecture. It is just what I would do in a situation like
that. If I had a family member tell me that I would take his or hers help
till I could make it pay them back and I would be done with them. Being a
man I have found that most cold hearted men say that they can get rid of the
animals with no problem but the funny thing is these are the ones also that
stick by a marriage that has failed so utterly that the people around them
hate them for it.

I wish I could help everyone out but I am working just enough to survive
myself and take care of the four legs. I am looking at taking another job
as a pizza delivery guy at a local chain during the day along with the car
service

AS for the brother it is total BS to make you get rid of your four legs for
him to help out. That is being petty and cruel and I would watch everything
that he does for you. It is going to come with a catch I bet my bottom
dollar on that

ng.com...

Old March 22nd 09, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Mar 22, 10:38*am, "Matthew"
wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a control issue. Someone wants complete and total control
of a situation. Then again, it could be the offer was made, knowing
full well that Kristi wouldn't get rid of her cats, so wouldn't accept
the help. That could be the catch.

Make an offer that someone will not accept (because you know that
person), then your conscience is 'clear' (after all you *did* make the
offer), and whatever happens isn't as a result of you.

Smokie Darling (Annie)

ng.com...

Old March 22nd 09, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

You said the brother has a little one, Lets see when that youngster gets
big enough to love the dog, just how easy it is to get rid of it and keep
the family happy.
"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...
[...]

ng.com...