Advice please on re-located cat

Old September 16th 03, 09:22 PM
zbranigan

Default Advice please on re-located cat

We recently adopted a cat from an acquaintance who is about to move
out of state and cannot take her cats with her. We live in an urban
setting --San Francisco-- and have a house with a small, fenced in
back yard. When we've had a cat in the past, we would often leave
the back door of the house open so that cat could come and go at his
or her whim.

The new cat has been in the house for two days and is only now
occasionally coming out of hiding. What I'm wondering about, is
what kinds of behavioral signs I should be looking for to indicate
that it would be safe to let the new kitty have outdoor access.
She's the only cat in the household.

Thanks.

--
no toll on the internet; there are paths of many kinds;
whoever passes this portal will travel freely in the world
Old September 17th 03, 12:00 AM
m. L. Briggs

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:22:02 GMT, zbranigan
wrote:

We recently adopted a cat from an acquaintance who is about to move
out of state and cannot take her cats with her. We live in an urban
setting --San Francisco-- and have a house with a small, fenced in
back yard. When we've had a cat in the past, we would often leave
the back door of the house open so that cat could come and go at his
or her whim.

The new cat has been in the house for two days and is only now
occasionally coming out of hiding. What I'm wondering about, is
what kinds of behavioral signs I should be looking for to indicate
that it would be safe to let the new kitty have outdoor access.
She's the only cat in the household.

Thanks.

This is really oldfashioned advice. When moving a cat to a new home,
keep it inside for three weeks. And this is really old: put butter
on its feet and it will never run away. All in all, it will be much
safer inside. Is the fence the kind that cannot be climbed? (are you
sure?) Best wishes.