Triple Antibiotic ointment

Old June 15th 11, 05:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Daddy

Default Triple Antibiotic ointment

I took house cat to the vet for a scratch on her neck that
got infected. They gave her a shot of antibiotic. She's
getting better but I wonder if I put some Triple antibiotic
ointment on her neck and she licked it off, if it would
hurt her? Any thoughts? When I clean her neck with hydrogen
peroxide it feels hot, so it seems like it needs something
like an ointment.

Any help from experienced cat people would be appreciated.
Cat Daddy

Old June 16th 11, 08:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jun 15, 9:44*am, Cat Daddy wrote:
I took house cat to the vet for a scratch on her neck that
got infected. They gave her a shot of antibiotic. She's
getting better but I wonder if I put some Triple antibiotic
ointment on her neck and she licked it off, if it would
hurt her? Any thoughts? When I clean her neck with hydrogen
peroxide it feels hot, so it seems like it needs something
like an ointment.

Any help from experienced cat people would be appreciated.
Cat Daddy

I use neosporin on my cat, but I make sure I only use the version
that doesn't say plus pain relief as that version has aspirin in it.
Old June 18th 11, 09:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jun 15, 9:44*am, Cat Daddy wrote:
I took house cat to the vet for a scratch on her neck that
got infected. They gave her a shot of antibiotic. She's
getting better but I wonder if I put some Triple antibiotic
ointment on her neck and she licked it off, if it would
hurt her? Any thoughts? When I clean her neck with hydrogen
peroxide it feels hot, so it seems like it needs something
like an ointment.

A couple months ago, I was out of town at a cat show when I discovered
that one of my cats had an abcess on his back. He's not a show cat. He
travels with me to avoid the one cat at home that hunts him, but
apparently Chase got him (never name your cat Chase). It had already
broken open and looked disgusting. The hole was large enough for a
pencil eraser, and it had white/green gunk in it. I found it around
midnight. My fist aid kit did not include as much as it should. I had
some antiseptic wash, and some neosporin. The next morning I talked to
a couple ladies who work as vet techs. They both looked at it and told
me it did not require a vet trip. They told me to soak it, then use
some hydrogen peroxide. And soak it again the next few nights and try
to keep it open. I did that, and it worked great. It healed up
nicely.

The main thing is to make sure that you don't have an infection that
is festering inside. Check for heat, swollen glands, puss, etc. If
it's infected, get it checked out so that it can be cleaned out and
meds given if needed. Most injuries though will heal easily without
any real medical treatment. I do make sure that I carry a better
stocked first aid kit when traveling.

Old June 18th 11, 08:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Daddy

On 06/18/2011 03:57 AM, wrote:
On Jun 15, 9:44 am, Cat wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the replies. House Cat's getting better. Her wound
isn't hot anymore, it looks a lot better. She felt good enough to
catch a lizard yesterday.

Thanks again
Cat Daddy

--