OT Migraine Purrs

Old January 29th 05, 02:04 AM
Jo Firey

"Howard Berkowitz" wrote in message
In article , "CatNipped"
wrote:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
On 2005-01-28, Karen penned:

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

This sounds like my dad's cough syrup. Turpen hydrate with codene.

Over
the counter in the fifties. In the sixties you could still buy it

without
an RX but had to sign for it. This was in Maryland.

Jo

Best. Cough. Syrup. Ever. You can't get it anymore I don't think,
which

is a
horrible shame. Last time I got it prescribed was in college for a

bronchial
cough that NOTHING esle fixed. Last year I would have killed for a

bottle of
it instead of the crap they prescribe now (which did ZERO same as the

OTC
stuff). We called it GI Gin when I was little.

I wonder if Howard can chime in on why it's no longer used.

I know that in the last few years, certain cough syrups have been
changed
because folks would drink inordinate amounts of the stuff to get high.

hear
it's actually kind of fun ... no idea about the negative consequences.

Maybe it's the libertarian in me coming through, but I don't see why

people
with illnesses should have to get by on inferior medicine just because

some
people will take the good stuff and have some fun with it. If people

insist
on using substances improperly, they're only hurting themselves ...

Oh, please don't get me started on this rant! When I was young and had
surgery they gave me *GOOD* pain meds, and I got over the surgery and
healed
*MUCH* faster because I could get up and around a lot sooner. The last
surgery I had (invasive, abdominal, *MAJOR* sugery) they gave me
Tylenol...
*TYLENOL*!!!! Just because there are junkies out there who abuse pain
meds - AND who can get their drugs easier on the street than I can
legally
get the drugs I *NEED*.

Bluntly, that was malpractice. Unfortunately, many clinicians do not
know the optimal treatment of acute, and especially chronic, pain. For
example, when any severe pain exists, unless it's a situation where you
are under direct clinician observation and they can give you small
increments of drug IV, it's critical to give the drug on a regular
schedule -- never "as needed". The regular dose should be of a
sufficient dose and formulation to keep an effective blood level at all
times. Otherwise, if you either wait until it almost wears off, or
there's a delay in getting the as-needed dose, you create cravings and a
sense of loss of control, which is a contributing factor to
psychological drug dependency.

As the pain reduces, it's appropriate to give regular doses of a less
potent drug. Yes, it's recognized that there can be "breakthrough" of
pain, and that needs to be recognized and treated. It's quite important
to give the patient as much feeling of control as possible. Many studies
have shown that people connected to a patient-controlled analgesia (PCA)
device, which delivers a steady low level of painkiller but has a button
which allows the patient to self-administer an incremental dose (up to a
limit) use LESS narcotic than people on "as needed" or periodic
injections. Knowing the button is there helps people relax and suffer
less.

It also gives you something to do. i.e. watching the clock for the 10
minute interval or 20 minutes whatever till you can punch the button again.

And I'm really not kidding. It sure beats the hell out of getting your pain
meds when the nurse can be bothered to show up with them. (Yes I know they
are busy and overworked, but that doesn't really help when you need
something now.)

Jo

Old January 29th 05, 02:11 AM
Yowie

On 2005-01-28, Yowie penned:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

True, but so many grocery stores have their own pharmacies that it
seems like a fairly meaningless distinction to me ... I get my
prescriptions filled at King Sooper, the local grocery chain.

Ah, see our supermarkets *don't* have pharmacies. They tried to
introduce that concept recently, and the reaction from the public was
quite negative.

Do you know why there was a negative reaction?

From what I can gather, people consider pharmacies a *speciality* shop, like
dentists, health food shops and optometrists. For example, I can walk into a
supermarket and by baby formula, but if I go into a pharmacy I expect the
people behind the counter to recommend which particular baby formula is most
suitable for my needs and explain *why*.

Pharmacies here also offer early childhood nurse services on a particualr
day of the week, often have a dietician in for a few hours, and the staff
generally have first aid certificates. Whilst not a doctor's service, they
ar eoften the place people go for medical things that aren't worth sitting
in a doctor's waiting room for, like say, what to do about a yeast
infection, or something for nappy rash, or what you'd do about a sprained
ankle.

None of that would be availabe in a supermarket, where although there'd have
to be a qualified pharmacist to deal with the prescriptions, the rest of the
staff would be just supermarket staff, many of which are school and uni
students working casual hours. I would *not* be comfortable talking to a 15
year old boy about which nipple shields to use, for example, but I would
feel comfortable going into a pharmacy to ask about that sort of thing, as I
know they've been trained to deal with that sort of stuff (and if they don't
know, would call their supervisor)

Besides, at my local pharmacy, they all know us and dote on Cary something
bad. Two of the women come out from behind the counter and argue about who
gets the first cuddle!. They ask about his day care, about how our holidays
were, and often have time to tell me about their experiences as parents, etc
etc. You don't get that sort of personalised service and interaction at a
supermarket, whether they had a pharmacy service there or not.

I think alot of people feel the same way about their local pharmacy. The
offer *service* as well as *products*, whereas a supermarket only offers
*products*.

Hope that makes sense,

Yowie

Old January 29th 05, 02:35 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Howard
Berkowitz at
wrote on 1/28/05 4:28 PM:

In article , "Karen"
wrote:

"Howard Berkowitz" wrote in message
In article , "Monique Y.

On 2005-01-28, Karen penned:

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

[...]

It was drinkable, and, IIRC, terpin hydrate isn't very effective. It's
not listed in my oldest pharmacology text, so I don't know.

It sure was effective on ME. I had TWO different kinds of cough syrups
prescribed last year and NEITHER of them did squat. The last time I had a
cough that bad the terpin hydrate LET ME SLEEP with no coughing. The
stuff
they give now makes you sleepy but you still cough all night.
GGGGGRRRRRrrrrrrrrr.

I do remember that terpin hydrate and codeine had a LOT of alcohol --
comparable, IIRC, to hard liquor.

So I should drink when I cough

Old January 29th 05, 09:48 AM
badwilson

wrote:

"Howard Berkowitz" wrote in message
In article , "Monique

Y.

On 2005-01-28, Karen penned:

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

[...]

I've got a terrible cough right now. Picked it up in Singapore last
weekend :-( The only thing that's been helping is to sip on Metaxa
seven star. A brandy from Greece. The only problem is I can't sip on
it too much or else I get drunk and then I may as well stay in bed!
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's

Old January 29th 05, 07:10 PM
SUQKRT

In article , O J
wrote:

MT

Karen Chuplis
wrote:

I'm absolutely desparate. I am going on day 10 of a sinus/migraine/which

led
to tension and back to migraine cycle. I am taking what seems like four
billion drugs that don't seem to be helping. I just took one I used to

take
a long time ago and while you are supposed to take it at the onset of

the
headache, well....there is no onset because it has just been a long
continous one. I just want to feel OK again. I've never had anything go

on
this long and I am really miserable now. So any kitty migraine go away

purrs
you could send dwould be mightily appreciated. I can't even read clear
through the group right now. I'm taking three cats and going to bed.

Poor Karen!! I feel for you! DH gets them, but I don't think she has
ever had one that long. Purrs that you will feel better soon.
((((((Karen)))))

Regards and Purrs,
O J

Adding to OJ's purrs that your pain goes away asap.
Suz
Macmoosette

"People that hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."
--Faith Resnick

|\__/|
(=':'=)
(")_(")

Old February 1st 05, 05:45 AM
Howard Berkowitz

On 2005-01-28, Yowie penned:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

True, but so many grocery stores have their own pharmacies that it
seems like a fairly meaningless distinction to me ... I get my
prescriptions filled at King Sooper, the local grocery chain.

Ah, see our supermarkets *don't* have pharmacies. They tried to
introduce that concept recently, and the reaction from the public was
quite negative.

Do you know why there was a negative reaction?

From what I can gather, people consider pharmacies a *speciality* shop,
like
dentists, health food shops and optometrists. For example, I can walk
into a
supermarket and by baby formula, but if I go into a pharmacy I expect the
people behind the counter to recommend which particular baby formula is
most
suitable for my needs and explain *why*.

Pharmacies here also offer early childhood nurse services on a particualr
day of the week, often have a dietician in for a few hours, and the staff
generally have first aid certificates. Whilst not a doctor's service,
they
ar eoften the place people go for medical things that aren't worth
sitting
in a doctor's waiting room for, like say, what to do about a yeast
infection, or something for nappy rash, or what you'd do about a sprained
ankle.

This is very interesting, because there are conflicts in the US pharmacy
profession about its role. There tends to be a very strong difference,
on a day-to-day basis, between hospital pharmacists and retail
pharmacists. Hospital pharmacists keep expanding their involvement in
patient care, and it generally seems to the good.

I am in a long-term cardiac monitoring and research program at the
Clinical Center of the National Institutes of Health. That's an unusual
hospital -- superb care is free, and it's one of the few (not only)
hospitals where I've asked for recipes. Nevertheless, it's one you go to
only if you are interesting to them (i.e., eligible for participation in
clinical research).

When I make my regular visits, the first person I meet with is one of
the clinical pharmacists (these do have doctoral degrees), and pharmacy
students in training. They do a detailed review of every patient's
medications, looking for possible interactions or contraindications,
dose schedules that can be optimized, ways to improve compliance, etc.
Since the senior people know me, they use me as an atypical teaching
example -- the usual chief, with a plain expression on my face, gives me
to one of his students, who starts to interview me in
very...simple...language. I pull out the summary sheets I prepare, and
then start describing the purpose and interactions of my dozen or so
drugs. At that point, the student is usually goggle-eyed, and Frank,
the chief, asks me to go to the whiteboard and explain how my six or so
blood pressure medications work together. I teach for 10 minutes or so,
and then he makes his point: "don't always assume you know more than the
patient. Even if it isn't technical knowledge like this, they probably
know their own bodies better than you do. What you may need to do is
help them realize what they do know."

Frank is also routinely called in when any medication change is planned,
and they are very comfortable making me part of the discussion. In more
general hospitals, the clinical pharmacists, more and more, are going to
the bedside and discussing patients' medications, dosage plans, etc. In
that context, they may spot side effects faster than the physicians.

There is a good deal of interest, in the US, in making the community
retail pharmacist part of the health care team. They are, after all, the
last medical professional that the patient sees before starting to take
their medication. Some pilot studies have shown that pharmacists, given
the time, can do very well in helping outpatients manage chronic
diseases, such as diabetes or hypertension.

The problem in the US is that the insurance companies and other payors
haven't generally been willing to reimburse for the professional time a
pharmacist has to spend in regular patient counseling. Some of the
studies show that they may be very cost-effective in keeping patients
with chronic diseases from getting into trouble. Whether or not they
will do so is largely a financial question, as the typical pharmacist in
a supermarket is far too busy to do more than answer brief questions.

Purrs for Rosie Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 137 October 15th 04 11:36 AM
Truck Purrs jmcquown Cat anecdotes 18 October 5th 04 02:40 PM
Request for purrs (kinda long) Denise VanDyke Cat anecdotes 57 August 18th 04 01:50 PM
Travel purrs Karen Chuplis Cat anecdotes 33 August 13th 04 06:00 PM
Purrs for Lacey Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 25 November 19th 03 05:20 AM