Scratched!

Old October 1st 13, 06:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Scratched!

Persia didn't mean to do it. She jumped up on the arm of the sofa.
Well, she was attempting to. She made a slight miscalculation. She
landed awkwardly, missed her mark. She extended her back claws to get
traction, digging into my shoulder. They're just scratches, not
puncture wounds. But I yelled, "OUCH!" (I also got a face full of soft
belly fur when she scrambled up.)

I've cleaned the scratches with hydrogen peroxide. She didn't mean to
scratch me. This might be why she didn't sleep with me last night.
Maybe she thought I was upset with her. I did hear her a couple of
times in the middle of the night, eating her dry Rx food.

Of course, after daylight, she joined me on the bed and gently tapped me
on my nose. Time to wake up! It's so sweet.

Jill
Old October 1st 13, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

Persia didn't mean to do it. She jumped up on the arm of the sofa.
Well, she was attempting to. She made a slight miscalculation. She
landed awkwardly, missed her mark. She extended her back claws to get
traction, digging into my shoulder. They're just scratches, not
puncture wounds. But I yelled, "OUCH!" (I also got a face full of soft
belly fur when she scrambled up.)

I've cleaned the scratches with hydrogen peroxide. She didn't mean to
scratch me. This might be why she didn't sleep with me last night.
Maybe she thought I was upset with her. I did hear her a couple of
times in the middle of the night, eating her dry Rx food.

Of course, after daylight, she joined me on the bed and gently tapped me
on my nose. Time to wake up! It's so sweet.

Jill

~~~~~~
Duffy has done this a couple of times when I had my arm resting on the arm
of the chair. He usually leaps onto the arm of the chair and then into my
lap. Since he is blind, he doesn't see if my arm is in his way. It
probably startles him as much as it does me, and the scratches are always
minor. Incidentally, I have had both a medical doctor and a veterinarian
tell me to only use hydrogen peroxide *once* if I want to use it to clean
the wound. I do like the way it "bubbles" dirt out of a wound without any
pain. However, they told me that repeated uses hinder the healing process.

MaryL

Old October 2nd 13, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/1/2013 5:08 PM, MaryL wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

[...]

Not to worry. I did only swab the scratches with peroxide once.
They're shallow scratches so I'm not worried.

I think another reason Persia didn't sleep with me is the temperature.
It has *finally* gotten down to about 60°F the last few nights. I've
turned the A/C off when I go to bed. Opened the windows in the bedroom
and turned on the ceiling fan. I sleep so well in a nice cool room!
But it might be too chilly for my aging kitty.

She has been known to "burrow" under the bedspread at times. Curl up
next to my feet. Not lately, though.

Jill
Old October 3rd 13, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Persia didn't mean to do it. She jumped up on the arm of the sofa. Well,
she was attempting to. She made a slight miscalculation. She landed
awkwardly, missed her mark. She extended her back claws to get traction,
digging into my shoulder. They're just scratches, not puncture wounds.
But I yelled, "OUCH!" (I also got a face full of soft belly fur when she
scrambled up.)

I've cleaned the scratches with hydrogen peroxide. She didn't mean to
scratch me. This might be why she didn't sleep with me last night. Maybe
she thought I was upset with her. I did hear her a couple of times in the
middle of the night, eating her dry Rx food.

Of course, after daylight, she joined me on the bed and gently tapped me
on my nose. Time to wake up! It's so sweet.

Jill

Boyfie accidentally scratched me once. He was well asleep on my lap,
stretched and fell off, grabbing me on the way down.
Of course, like Persia, he didn't mean to scratch me and like her he kept
away from me for a day.
Interesting. Do gentle cats know that they shouldn't scratch and if they
do, even accidentally, are afraid about having done so?
If so, why? I have never raised my voice to Boyfie, and certainly never
punished him in any way. He has no reason to worry about accidentally
scratching me, but it was obviously of some concern to him.
He just "knew" somehow that scratching meowmie was bad. How?

Tweed

Old October 3rd 13, 08:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 19:27:12 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

The worst scratches Cinders ever gave me were from the time she fell into
the tub while I was taking a bath. She leaned over too far, trying to
drink the bathwater, and fell in. In her haste to get away from the
nasty wetness, she inadvertently used my leg as a launch platform,
instinctively digging in her claws for better traction.

--
John F. Eldredge --
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
Old October 3rd 13, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:

Boyfie accidentally scratched me once. He was well asleep on my lap,
stretched and fell off, grabbing me on the way down.
Of course, like Persia, he didn't mean to scratch me and like her he kept
away from me for a day.
Interesting. Do gentle cats know that they shouldn't scratch and if they
do, even accidentally, are afraid about having done so?
If so, why? I have never raised my voice to Boyfie, and certainly never
punished him in any way. He has no reason to worry about accidentally
scratching me, but it was obviously of some concern to him.
He just "knew" somehow that scratching meowmie was bad. How?

Tweed

Telepathy? (I think most of us are convinced that cats read our minds.)
Old October 3rd 13, 11:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message

[...]

IMHO, many cats are smart enough to realize they've done something to
hurt their human, even if they didn't intend to.

I yelled OUCH! out of pure reflex. Persia has some pretty wicked back
claws! I wasn't specifically yelling at *her*. Nor was I mad at her.
I didn't punish her in any way. I've never done that, for any reason.

Persia would beg to differ when it comes to vet checkups! LOL

I don't know how, but cats do seem to know when they've accidently
scratched the human they love.

Jill
Old October 4th 13, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

m...

Christina Websell wrote:

Boyfie accidentally scratched me once. He was well asleep on my lap,
stretched and fell off, grabbing me on the way down.
Of course, like Persia, he didn't mean to scratch me and like her he kept
away from me for a day.
Interesting. Do gentle cats know that they shouldn't scratch and if they
do, even accidentally, are afraid about having done so?
If so, why? I have never raised my voice to Boyfie, and certainly never
punished him in any way. He has no reason to worry about accidentally
scratching me, but it was obviously of some concern to him.
He just "knew" somehow that scratching meowmie was bad. How?

Tweed

Telepathy? (I think most of us are convinced that cats read our minds.)

I'd agree with the telepathy idea except that I wasn't annoyed so there was
nothing to "read". It was a pure reflex action to grab my leg as he was
falling and I didn't say a word to him about it. Like Persia, he kept away
from me for a day. He's always somehow known things. He sometimes jumps on
the kitchen worktop to see if there is food there, but never when I am in
the room, and he jumps down immediately if he hears me approaching. "What
me? on the worktop? no chance.."
I've never corrected him for doing it, he just *knows* somehow that it's a
bit naughty.
He also "knows* he isn't allowed in my bedroom and when I found him in there
once (years ago) he nearly fainted. He used to faint at the vets, so that
suggests that me finding him in my bedroom was a stressful experience.
I keep my bedroom door shut 24/7 because I am a really bad sleeper not
because I wouldn't like him there. But I left it slightly open one day and
as cats do, he was exploring the unexplored.
Poor chap. It was "OMG, I'm not supposed to be here"

Tweed

Old October 4th 13, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Thu, 3 Oct 2013 19:27:12 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I always figure that the shriek I let out is enough to let them know.
I picked up a sock yesterday and Marlo decided to grab it. Her claw
when right into my thumb and it hurt, as did removing her claw from
the thumb. I think my yell more than let her know that it was a bad
thing to do, and she hadn't really done anything wrong at all and I
immediately went to comfort her. Well, immediately meaning after I
staunched the flow of blood.

Old October 4th 13, 07:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

m...

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

You may not have been annoyed, but you were shocked, and it probably hurt.
He could certainly pick up on that.

Joy