The cat treats I bought

Old August 4th 10, 12:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl P.[_2_]

Default The cat treats I bought

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
One that should keep anybody happy is the little dried fish (mainly
anchovies) you get from Chinese supermarkets. They are a single
species, and it's hard to see how you could adulterate a dried fish.
I think they mainly come from Thailand. Most cats like them.

Yes, but Tweed specified that she does not want any ingredients from
China. I agree, after the problems we had in the U.S. (more than once).

The fish don't come from China. They're from Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam
or the Philippines, via Chinese supermarkets.

A lot of Chinese produce is as high-quality as you can get from anywhere.
A lot of British and American produce is chemically adulterated nutrition-
free garbage. Common sense and learning to read labels will tell you
which is which, national origin won't.

We have a local petfood firm in the Edinburgh area. I suspect they
supply places like greyhound kennels, you don't see their stuff in
shops, even their own. They make it from scraps from local butchers,
so it's as local as you could get. They were in the news a while ago
for running such hazardous machinery that one of their workers got his
foot minced up and added to the mix (I guess his Nikes would count as
a Chinese ingredient). Should I trust them any more than a Chinese
firm just because they're my neighbours?

It's easier to get first-hand information about a local firm than it is
about one in China.

If you DON'T have good-quality information, you don't know much more
about what goes on behind the doors of a local business than the one in
China, but at least you don't have barriers of language and distance
when you're trying to figure out what's going on.
--
Cheryl
Old August 5th 10, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message

A lot of Chinese produce is as high-quality as you can get from anywhere.

You might believe this, I do not.
Nothing from China will ever go into Boyfie's mouth.
All the treats that I bought that Bob Martin wrote back about and said they
cannot guarantee that have no ingredients from China are in the trash.
Whiskas wrote back with assurances
that their food is safe
I know it is.

back

Old August 5th 10, 11:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Aug 5, 1:10 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in

A lot of Chinese produce is as high-quality as you can get from
anywhere.

You might believe this, I do not.
Nothing from China will ever go into Boyfie's mouth.
All the treats that I bought that Bob Martin wrote back about and said
they
cannot guarantee that have no ingredients from China are in the trash.
Whiskas wrote back with assurances
that their food is safe
I know it is.

back

I am totally with Tweed on this. I don't so much fault possible
ingredients
as I do subcontracting to that country for substandard equipment and
working conditions. Cheap labor, cheaper standards of production..and
the name brand we know the product as in our country absolves itself
of blame with big mea culpa ads, etc. knowing that the uproar from the
masses will die down, and their poisoned pet food, human-consumed
candy products (Hershey dropped Cadbury when that headline went on)
even though the brand names *outsourced* production to save money.
The brand names are correct that public memory is very short. Not
mine.
With a little digging it is easy to find which companies outsource
production.
Most people have no idea how to find out.

I'm happy what I was told from the horse's mouth about Whiskas. I have
assurances nothing in it has touched China. I will continue to feed Boyfie
this food. It is safe.
Bob Martin treats, well you saw their email. In the bin they go.
Boyfie will not mind. The first treats he very nearly had. He did have a
few of them, until I saw the danger. I gave him maybe 7, he ate three and
said "what the **** is this cr+P??
He left the rest.

Old August 8th 10, 12:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Dan M" wrote in message
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 00:03:02 +0100, Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

Manufacturers who still use edible ingredients from China are on my
"never buy" list.

The Chinese put the managers of the firm involved up against a wall and
shot them. Which is one way of doing quality control. Not the way I'd
like to see it done, but it does make a statement about accountability.

Meanwhile the director of BP walks out of his job with a pension of
millions of pounds per year after killing 11 workers and causing damage
nobody will ever be able to measure.

And the directors of Union Carbide killed about 16,000 people in the
Bhopal disaster, injured half a million, with thousands blinded or
totally disabled, and have only received the most trivial punishment for
what they did.

China is not by a *long* shot the country that most needs boycotting on
grounds of corporate irresponsibility.

Don't worry, I boycott BP and Union Carbide as well. I also boycott
Walmart for the damage they do to local business and their suppliers,
McDonalds for various reasons, Best Western for off-shoring their IT
department a few years ago, etc.

One problem with boycotting oil companies such as BP and Union Carbide (or
Exxon, which was recommended by a slew of e-mails a year or so ago) is that
you may also help to drive local companies out of business and have very
little effect on those "at the top."

MaryL

Old August 9th 10, 09:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

dgk wrote:

If corporations are truly people, as the (strict constructive
conservative) Supreme Court thinks that the 14th Amendment says, then
they are sociopaths without any care but for themselves. So, they do
what they can to maximize profits and if that means sourcing things in
China, they will do so.

That said, no corporation wants the bad PR of killing pets; not
because of morality (a sociopath has none) but because it is bad for
the bottom line. So feel free to boycout Chinese goods, but at least
China executes the leaders of those corporations rather then giving
them golden parachutes.

Let's hope there's a reasonable middle ground between these extremes...
I thought China's way of dealing with corrupt officials in the wake of
all the poisonings (of many humans as well as pets, and in several
countries) was almost as creepy as the poisonings themselves.

A lengthy prison stay, and not in a country club minimum-security prison,
but in with the gangbangers and other dregs of society, sounds appropriate
to me.

I know of a country that made up reasons to declare war on another
country so that they could install a government that would be
favorable to its corporate interests. That resulted in the deaths of
100,000+ people and the maiming of many others, plus the deaths of
many pets.

And don't forget, made life for their own citizens far more unsafe than
it was before, by ****ing off the "other country's" population and making
them sympathetic to terrorists. I feel so much "freer" now.

Joyce

--
Cats' hearing apparatus is built to allow the human voice to easily
go in one ear and out the other. -- Stephen Baker
Old August 9th 10, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M

Not to mention ****ing off huge numbers of their citizens.