Cat saves baby's life

Old April 16th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Cat saves baby's life

I just saw this story at:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/16042006/...by-s-life.html

I've pasted it below in case it doesn't stay at that URL for long:

Cat saves baby's life
Sat Apr 15, 09:27 PM EST

BERLIN (Reuters) - A cat saved the life of a newborn baby abandoned on the
doorstep of a Cologne house in the middle of the night by meowing loudly
until someone woke up, a police spokesman said Saturday.

"The cat is a hero," Cologne police spokesman Uwe Beier said. "Its loud
meowing got the attention of the homeowner and saved the baby from suffering
life-threatening hypothermia. The homeowner opened door to see why the cat
was making so much noise and discovered the newborn."

Beier said the boy was taken to hospital at 5 a.m. on Thursday, when
overnight temperatures fell toward zero, and had suffered only mild
hypothermia. He said there was no indication of what happened to the boy's
mother.

Rhino

Old April 16th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Rhino" wrote in news:iGs0g.104
:

Cat saves baby's life
Sat Apr 15, 09:27 PM EST

That's really amazing. Too bad we don't know more about the cat.

Chak

--
In a rational society we would want our presidents to be teachers. In
our actual society, we insist they be cheerleaders.
Old April 16th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-16, Chakolate penned:
"Rhino" wrote in
news:iGs0g.104 :

Cat saves baby's life Sat Apr 15, 09:27 PM EST

That's really amazing. Too bad we don't know more about the cat.

Or the mom =/

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 16th 06, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Rhino wrote:
I just saw this story at:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/16042006/...by-s-life.html

I've pasted it below in case it doesn't stay at that URL for long:

Cat saves baby's life
Sat Apr 15, 09:27 PM EST

BERLIN (Reuters) - A cat saved the life of a newborn baby abandoned
on the
doorstep of a Cologne house in the middle of the night by meowing
loudly
until someone woke up, a police spokesman said Saturday.

Sad for the baby, good for the cat! At least the mother had the courtesy to
abandon the child on a doorstep rather than putting the infant in a trash
dumpster.

Jill

Old April 16th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Chakolate wrote:

"Rhino" wrote in news:iGs0g.104
:

Cat saves baby's life
Sat Apr 15, 09:27 PM EST

That's really amazing. Too bad we don't know more about the cat.

When people can abandon their own children so callously, why
is anyone suprised when they do the same thing with kittens
and puppies?

Chak

Old April 16th 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:

Rhino wrote:

I just saw this story at:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/16042006/...by-s-life.html

I've pasted it below in case it doesn't stay at that URL for long:

Cat saves baby's life
Sat Apr 15, 09:27 PM EST

BERLIN (Reuters) - A cat saved the life of a newborn baby abandoned
on the
doorstep of a Cologne house in the middle of the night by meowing
loudly
until someone woke up, a police spokesman said Saturday.

Sad for the baby, good for the cat! At least the mother had the courtesy to
abandon the child on a doorstep rather than putting the infant in a trash
dumpster.

Perhaps Germany is a tad more civilized than parts of the
U.S.? (I've seen a few "Law and Order SVU" episodes dealing
with such things, but I assumed they were fiction.)

Jill

Old April 17th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Perhaps Germany is a tad more civilized than parts of the
U.S.? (I've seen a few "Law and Order SVU" episodes dealing
with such things, but I assumed they were fiction.)

Hmm. I don't think anyone would have said that 65-70 years ago...

Joyce
Old April 17th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Rhino wrote:

I just saw this story at:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/16042006/...by-s-life.html

I wonder whose kitty it was?

Joyce
Old April 17th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

the way I was read it it was the homeowners or they would have said a stray
cat meowing loudly awoke neighbors

Old April 17th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Rhino wrote:

I just saw this story at:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/16042006/...by-s-life.html

Whoops, I also meant to say that I was watching the Canadian show
"Animal Miracles" on Animal Planet last night, and there were two
stories of cats saving people's lives. One was a cat who awakened her
human when the house was on fire. The woman was very deeply asleep
and didn't wake up from the cat's cries, so she scratched her human
on the face. That did the trick.

This kind of thing isn't an isolated incident, but I think it's
important to note that this cat wasn't trapped in the house - there
was an open window in the bedroom where the woman was sleeping. The
cat could have run out to safety, but she stayed to wake her human,
who had once rescued her and saved her life.

The other was about a family driving cross-country. The mother was
driving and her two sons slept in the back with their cat curled up
with them. (This cat was very amenable to travel.) But the mother
started to fall asleep, and strayed into the wrong lane, where she
almost had a head-on with an 18-wheeler. But the cat jumped into her
lap and woke her up, just in time.

I often wonder how much truth there is to the stories on these shows.
The original people are interviewed, so clearly, *something* happened
that seemed miraculous. But I wonder how much is exaggerated or left
out. After reading the story of the kitty in Berlin, I'm more inclined
to think that this stuff really does happen.

There was also a very sweet story (on the show) about a Border Collie
saving his best friend, another dog who had fallen in a well. He ran
and got a human to follow him to the site, the guy called for more
help, and they rescued the dog. (Although this story *really* begs you
to say, "Did Timmy fall in the well?" )

Joyce