Kenzie update

Old April 17th 09, 03:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

Default Kenzie update

Kenzie is getting positively plump again!

Between the Tapazole, and eating twice her body weight..daily... in
Friskies Seafood Sensations, I have to start limiting Kenzie's food
again!

But I found two places in the basement where Kenzie had hurked up some
food I don't know when it happened, as it was in a dark corner. NOT
in the past day or two.

But Kenzie is doing much better, that's for sure. I'm going to keep her
at 75% of the full Tapazole dose (5mg) for awhile, and see what happens.

I tried to count her heartbeat, with a stethoscope. All I can hear is
her purring. I've tried a *bunch* of times, and she's ALWAYS purring.

Getting her heart beat count...kitty pulse?... will tell me how well the
Tapezole is working. Very roughly.

It takes a full month for the Tapezole to achieve full effect.

I'm paranoid about increasing the dose: she got pretty sick when I
increased it from 3.375mg to 3.75mg. Such a small increase, and it made
her sick.

But now she is eating really well, and is actually overweight.

The Tapezole must be working. She was SO skinny just 3 weeks ago. She
wouldn't eat her expensive 'regular' food. She wouldn't eat the
expensive premium kitten food I bought her, either.

But on Kyla's suggestion, I bought some Friskies Seafood Sensations, and
she started eating that. A little, at first, and gradually, more and
more. And then, too much, apparently.

After she's been at this dose for a month, I'll take her in for the
expensive thyroid test, and hope it's 'enough' Tapazole.

But Kenzie seems to be doing well, for now. And that's what counts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

Old April 17th 09, 04:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

On Apr 16, 7:44*pm, (Gandalf) wrote:
[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~ *^..^

- Robert Heinlein

you can always try blowing in her face when trying to listen to the
heart, or put something strong smelling in front of her nose.

usually we'll put rubbing alcohol on a piece of gauze and wave that in
front of their nose. sometimes that works. You need to count for at
least ten seconds and multiply by 6.

Also you can try the femoral artery. Press a few fingers on the
inside of her thigh.

Average kitty pulse would be about 180 or so. over 200 if they are
under stress....or if they are ****ed off at someone trying to listen
to their heart.

glad to hear she's getting better. Hope she continues to do so!

Kristi

Old April 17th 09, 05:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Gandalf wrote:

Kenzie is getting positively plump again!

Between the Tapazole, and eating twice her body weight..daily... in
Friskies Seafood Sensations, I have to start limiting Kenzie's food
again!

Hooray! I'm really glad to hear some good news about Kenzie.

I'm paranoid about increasing the dose: she got pretty sick when I
increased it from 3.375mg to 3.75mg. Such a small increase, and it made
her sick.

But now she is eating really well, and is actually overweight.

I'm really glad she's put on weight, but I wonder if the fact that she's
put on so much, so suddenly, indicates that her dose might be a bit high?
I guess you'll find out when you take her back for more bloodwork.

The Tapezole must be working. She was SO skinny just 3 weeks ago. She
wouldn't eat her expensive 'regular' food. She wouldn't eat the
expensive premium kitten food I bought her, either.

But on Kyla's suggestion, I bought some Friskies Seafood Sensations, and
she started eating that. A little, at first, and gradually, more and
more. And then, too much, apparently.

Ah, Friskies. Kitty McDonald's. My cats love it, especially when I run
out of their health food mid-week, and have to stop at the corner store, and
Friskies is what they've got. Yummy junk food, yay! Hey, if it's getting
Kenzie eating again, I'm not knocking it. Maybe you can transition her back
to her premium stuff, which she might not devour with quite so much passion.
That could slow her weight gain.

After she's been at this dose for a month, I'll take her in for the
expensive thyroid test, and hope it's 'enough' Tapazole.

But Kenzie seems to be doing well, for now. And that's what counts.

I'm so glad for you and your sweet little girl.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old April 17th 09, 06:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

I love reading posts like this one!

--

Joy

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of
masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch. - Leo Dworken

Old April 17th 09, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Gandalf wrote:
Kenzie is getting positively plump again!

snip

Wonderful news!
BEst wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

Kenzie to TED, again Gandalf Cat anecdotes 8 March 21st 09 01:54 PM
Kenzie update [email protected] Cat anecdotes 9 March 19th 09 09:20 PM
Kenzie update Gandalf Cat anecdotes 0 March 19th 09 06:57 AM
Kenzie update [email protected] Cat anecdotes 12 March 4th 09 07:24 AM
Another Kenzie pic Gandalf Cat anecdotes 27 June 12th 04 04:16 PM