the poor knee?

Old April 2nd 09, 03:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine Burel[_2_]

Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA
Default the poor knee?

Hi Yowie,
How's your knee? Purrs it's improving by now. I can only guess at how
colorful it must be. Hope you're getting around okay and your family's
taking care of you ;o)
Christine

Old April 2nd 09, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Christine Burel" wrote in message

Hi Yowie,
How's your knee? Purrs it's improving by now. I can only guess at
how colorful it must be. Hope you're getting around okay and your
family's taking care of you ;o)

The knee now looks like a sick purple & yellow grapefruit rather than a
black, blue & purple soccerball. There's a little movement in it, better in
the mornings than at night when the swelling is less (as I can't keep it
'up' all day), and I can bear my whole weight on it without a problem. I
just can't *bend* it so I can walk properly nor can I abide by anything
touching it so I cant sleep on my side as I'd prefer to.

Ironically, the back, right knee and right hip are far more painful. Because
I have to walk with my damaged knee straight, and can't bend the knees to
bend over, my back is taking alot of strain, and the right knee & hip have
started to complain because they have to do all the work themselves rather
than sharing the load with the left side. The back always been a bit dodgy,
and at the start of these holidays I did something nasty to it whilst I was
picking up the 25kg Yowlet. With many trips to the Steve-the-physio (he's
fantastic, not only a good physio but a good headologist as well) I thought
we'd just about got it fixed - maybe one or two more sessions (who knew
being put on the rack and being stretched was an incredibly *pleasurable*
thing?). But the back is now out of whack again and I can't go for
treatments because it involves bending my knees.

The truly ironic thing is that the doc gave me a little pill to 'ease the
swelling'. I don't think its done any good for the knee whatsoever, but when
I take one, the back improves dramatically.

The hardest part of daily life is going to the toilet. I am thankful that
iI'm tall because I can just about grab at the door fram and haul myself up
from there. Any shorter and I'd have to yellf or Joel to pull me off the loo
each time I went.

We went to see 'Aliens versus Monsters' last night and having ditched the
crutches (they just seemed to get inthe way) I deeply regretted it whilst
trying to navgate the steps they had *without a handrail*. I also was dying
for the loo as soon as we got out (why o why do I drink those jumbo sodas
whilst at the cinema?) but had to wait till we got home because that cinema
doesn't have a disabled toiled and Joel couldn't come rescue me from the
ladies.

I've also come to the conclusion that a) the disabled get a raw deal in our
town and b) that even though the facilites for disabled people are woefully
lacking, I still think there should be such a thing as a *temporary*
disability pass - I can't walk very far and really want a parking spot close
to the place I need to be (i'm just grateful I can drive at all - if it was
the other knee we'd be stuck as Joel doesn't have licence), I find it
incredibly difficult to navigate steps and need the extra bars in the loo to
get up, but all these 'disabled' facilites are unavailable to me because I
don't have the official 'disabled' sticker, pass and key (the disabled
public toilets are kept locked because people were using the extra space in
them for rather more nefarous purposes, and there's a special universal key
giving to the disabled that are formally recognised as such). I wouldn't
need to be considered 'disabled' forever and I acknowledge that in my
current state I am still more 'abled' than some offically recognised as
disabled folks, but at the moment, my 'ableness' is about the equivalent as
anyone else with an immovable knee, whether that be a permanant condition or
not. I thought pretty much the same thing when I was in my ninth month of
pregnancy, but it can take up to *two years* of beauracracy to get that
stupid sticker and key, and apprantly the disability needs to be permanant
to qualify. What a strange world.

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old April 2nd 09, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

Don't know what your 'little pills' are, but I was surprised to learn
that valium has gain popularity as an off label treatment to muscle
spasms. Mainly lower back problems.

I can understand the desire to keep disabled facilities usable for the
disabled, but a key seems awfully extreme.

I understand having to have a doctor 'prove' you need a parking space,
though you can easily get a temporary one here. But there are a LOT
of people that need a bit of extra room as well as the grab bars to
help them get up from the toilet. Sometimes the public ones are just
a bit low and can be a real problem for anyone with even minor knee
issues.

Newer public building here sometimes have, in addition to the usual
his and hers restrooms, a few single restrooms for use by either sex
who have mobility problems, or for those who need a caregiver to
accompany them.

Jo

Jo

Old April 2nd 09, 11:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB

Yowie wrote:
[...]

I don't know if this has been mentioned as yet: You can buy 2" to 5"
toilet risers which make it much easier to get up. Any medical supply
store should have them. They furnish them at the hospital after hip and
knee replacement operations. I was in a restaurant when an older couple
came in, the woman on crutches and her husband carrying her toilet
riser! FYI tall toilets are now available, but cost more. Good luck.
MLB
Old April 5th 09, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine Burel[_2_]

Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA

Gee, Yowie, it's just not right that you can't get a temporary disability
sticker! I'm glad you're improving, although the stresses placed on your
other body parts and your descriptions (amusing and dismaying at the same
time!) make me cringe for you. I'm glad you have a good physical therapist.
Purrs that things speed up healing soonest!
Will be thinking of you!
Christine
"Yowie" wrote in message
"Christine Burel" wrote in message

Hi Yowie,
How's your knee? Purrs it's improving by now. I can only guess at
how colorful it must be. Hope you're getting around okay and your
family's taking care of you ;o)

The knee now looks like a sick purple & yellow grapefruit rather than a
black, blue & purple soccerball. There's a little movement in it, better
in the mornings than at night when the swelling is less (as I can't keep
it 'up' all day), and I can bear my whole weight on it without a problem.
I just can't *bend* it so I can walk properly nor can I abide by anything
touching it so I cant sleep on my side as I'd prefer to.

(snip )
Yowie

Old April 7th 09, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Yowie wrote:
The knee now looks like a sick purple & yellow grapefruit rather than a
black, blue & purple soccerball. There's a little movement in it, better in
the mornings than at night when the swelling is less (as I can't keep it
'up' all day), and I can bear my whole weight on it without a problem. I
just can't *bend* it so I can walk properly nor can I abide by anything
touching it so I cant sleep on my side as I'd prefer to.

Ironically, the back, right knee and right hip are far more painful. snip

Continued purrs,
Polonca and Soncek
Old April 8th 09, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On Apr 2, 2:02*pm, "Yowie" wrote:

Ironically, the back, right knee and right hip are far more painful. Because
I have to walk with my damaged knee straight, and can't bend the knees to
bend over, my back is taking alot of strain, and the right knee & hip have
started to complain because they have to do all the work themselves rather
than sharing the load with the left side.

Always after spraining my ankle or knee (I've done both knees once and
each ankle at least 3 times- I'm something of an "expert patient" on
lower limb sprains although over the last 7-8 years I've only one
ankle when I found out last year that a black cat crossing your path
isn't always lucky as it was Dunzi and she tripped me up)within a few
daysthe sprain has stopped hurting and the other leg and lower back
are a lot more painful. In fact after the last time (I'm getting
old!) my ankle was just swollen and stiff after a couple of days but
for a couple of weeks after my back was so bad I couldn't walk too far
and really shouldn't have been carrying anything heavy but Dave can't
so someone has to bring the cat litter in!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs