Do vets really care?

Old October 24th 03, 01:42 PM
PawsForThought

From: itter (MacCandace)

Another thing is people expect vets to be able to work miracles.
Sometimes there isn't anything more you can do for an animal. A good
vet will tell you this outright. A not-so-good vet will keep taking
your money. It's hard to tell the difference, sometimes.

-L.

I think a lot of what vets do is guesswork...well, human docs also, but vets
have the distinct disadvantage of not being able to talk to their patients,
ask
them how they feel, where it hurts, etc. I think it would be very
frustrating.

When I was in my early 20s and had just moved to Phoenix (almost 30 years ago
now) and was looking for a job, I applied with a vet. I don't even remember
if
it was as a tech or office help or what but I went to his house and he and
his
wife interviewed me. I told him how much I loved animals, in an effort to
get
the job, and he told me that wasn't really a good thing in this case...that
it's better to remain detached and impersonal when dealing with the animals
so
you don't get upset by what you deal with. I didn't get the job and it has
always made me wonder, with every vet I have ever gone to, if they care about
animals at all or if it's just a job. I suppose it's some of each but that
comment has stuck with me all this time...sometimes I look at my vet and
wonder
if he gives a crap at all and if he cares about his own pets the way I care
about mine.

Candace

Yeah, good question. What I will never understand is how vets can declaw cats.
If they truly cared about the health and well-being of the cat, they could
never declaw it, you know?

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Old October 24th 03, 07:26 PM
DG511

My wonderful vet owns two cats and a dog, and she pretty much applies the
golden rule at her clinic: do unto other people's pets as you would have
others do unto your own pets. Or something like that.

But there's a lot of guesswork at certain points. Years ago, one of my first
cats came down with a rare cancer (mast cell leukemia), and my vet had no idea
what to do because at the time (and maybe still) there were no protocols for
handling it. She spent hours of her own time calling to her old vet med
professors and other sources, researching in the library and on the Internet
(which was new at that point), and otherwise trying to track down a solution.
She got little useful advice, so in the end, she laid out for me the various
options and we discussed them. She was clearly perplexed, but I gave her all
the credit in the world for trying. And not only did she not want any
reimbursement for the research time (I offered), she also would not charge me
for the appointment we had to discuss the case, since she didn't feel she was
offering me much.

So yeah, there are some good ones out there, but even they don't have all the
answers.

Daria
Timing is everything.

Old October 25th 03, 03:55 AM
Karen M.

Sherry wrote:
I suppose it's some of each but that
comment has stuck with me all this time...sometimes I look at my vet and
wonder
if he gives a crap at all and if he cares about his own pets the way I care
about mine.

Over the last four years I've been able to tell which vets really give a crap
by the way they treat us when we bring in shelter cats. Some would charge us
full price. Some would treat the cat llike a throwaway. One jewel this month
re-broke and re-set a Border Collie's leg, put a pin in it, and treated the dog
like a $5,000 patient. He charged us nothing. What goes around comes around,
and we have been able to send many, many new clients to the vets who help and
show compassion to our animals. The others we don't criticize to the public, of
course, but we never recommend them either.
Sherry

Which is a great way to show vets that reduced-fee services for shelters
can pay off in a big way! A lot of the groups around here do the
same, any many list on their website or newsletter which vets help them
out.

Old October 27th 03, 12:27 AM
Warren O

MacCandace wrote:

[snip]
[...]

Maybe that vet didn't put it in the right words. Our vet said in an
interview that if you really want to be a veterinarian, you should
volunteer at an animal shelter, first. That way, you'll see the downside
of dealing with animals that are hurt, sick, scared, vomiting, etc. If
you can deal with that on a daily basis, you'll probably be okay with
being a vet.

I give vets and clinic staff credit; they have to see animals at their
worst and pet owners at their worst. I couldn't do what they do and I
love animals. Why? Because I couldn't tell a little girl that "Fluffy"
isn't coming home with her because she had to "cross the bridge." Every
job has its ups and downs. I don't think I could handle the downs of
that job.

Warren

PS. your vet probably cares about his/her pets as much as you do yours.
They just can't wear their emotions on their sleeves at work.

Great gifts for cat lovers at http://www.officiallycute.com

Old October 28th 03, 08:12 AM
-L.

olitter (PawsForThought) wrote in message ...
From:
itter (MacCandace)

[...]

I agree, but many vets don't think it is a bad practice. I once
worked for a vet who declawed all of his own cats and lets them
outside. His main-line excuse was the "declaw or euthanize" blackmail
line. Yet he did declaws routinely - 12 week old kittens, 10 year old
cats - I've seen it all. I once figured out that he brought in approx
90-100K/year doing declaws alone. IMO, THAT is why he continued to do
them.

-L.

Old October 28th 03, 01:48 PM
PawsForThought

From: (-L.)

(PawsForThought) wrote in message
From:
itter (MacCandace)

[...]

Wow, that is a lot of money. I bet you're right and that's exactly why he did
it
________