Re-Naming a Cat

Old January 20th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Default Re-Naming a Cat

Ours all know AND respond to their names. The bitties in particular
will come when called.

Nocturne will flick an ear in vague acknowledgement unless she feels
you have something good to offer her.

Smokey looks at you as if to say, "do I HAFTA move?"

--Fil

You actually have a cat that pays ATTENTION to its name?
What's your secret?

All my cats know their names. Of course, whether they respond when I
call them is another matter.

Old January 20th 08, 07:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bridget[_2_]

Enfilade wrote:
Ours all know AND respond to their names. The bitties in particular
will come when called.

Nocturne will flick an ear in vague acknowledgement unless she feels
you have something good to offer her.

Smokey looks at you as if to say, "do I HAFTA move?"

--Fil

You actually have a cat that pays ATTENTION to its name?
What's your secret?

All my cats know their names. Of course, whether they respond when I
call them is another matter.

All three of mine will come consistently when called. For the older two,
it was a combination of giving them treats every time I called them when
they were younger and then no matter what they were doing, they always
get attention when they come when called. It doesn't matter if they have
just knocked something over or are scratching inappropriately or if I
just want to give them attention. There is always reward of some kind
for coming.

For my youngest cat - who does not do treats - I just would call her
name and she got attention for coming or looking at me or any response
and all and when she actually came to me she got enthusiastic attention.

So at this point, all three cats will come to the appropriate name when
called. It helps that all of them really like to be held and scritched
and petted. That reward for coming when called is really important.

Bridget
Old January 20th 08, 12:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

You actually have a cat that pays ATTENTION to its name? What's your
secret?

I've taught all mine their names by repeating the name over and over
again while petting the cat when I first got them. Then, the first few
weeks with them, I make sure I say their names several times while
they're eating. This has worked for me.

Old January 20th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Jan 19, 2:23*pm, wrote:

All my cats know their names. Of course, whether they respond when I
call them is another matter.

Tell me about it I haven't seen Sarrasine since about 7.30 this
morning and I am starting to get a bit worried about her then again
with the weather this awful she's probably found somewhere to burrow
in. She did this yesterday and I was getting more than a bit worried
when she suddenly walked past the living room door and looked at me as
if to ask what the fuss was about

I tried calling her but she doesn't answer

Mind you, she's probably annoyed with me for this morning. Last night
we were playing with the Feather Onna Stick and as I was feeling tired
I put it back in the bag and left it on the sofa instead of putting it
back in the drawer,,,

This morning the bag containing said Feather Onna Stick was placed on
my chair as if to remind me what I had to do this morning. (I'll get
it out in a while, that should bring her out of hiding if it doesn't
then I can start panicking)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old January 20th 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Jan 20, 7:56*am, Lesley wrote:
Tell me about it I haven't seen Sarrasine since about 7.30 this
morning and I am starting to get a bit worried about her

Dave opened a box of chocolate brownies (Sunday treat) and Sarsi
walked in from the bedroom (I've been in here for a couple of hours
and not a peep from her) to see if there was anything worth begging
for (not that I would let her have chocolate of course!) then stolled
into the kitchen for a nibble then walked from the bedroom into the
living room then the kitchen, which judging by the way she's getting
in her box in the living room right now the sheer effort has exhausted
her!

Old January 20th 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Ginger-lyn wrote:

I'll keep trying. But I'm afraid the guy may be stuck with Pinky for
life.

Be careful what you name your cat -- even if it is supposed to be
"temporary".

You actually have a cat that pays ATTENTION to its name? What's your
secret?

ROFL

Well, most of them know their names, and they pay attention -- when they
*want* to ;-)

Ginger-lyn

--
Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com
Old January 20th 08, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn

Marina wrote:
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

You actually have a cat that pays ATTENTION to its name? What's your
secret?

I've taught all mine their names by repeating the name over and over
again while petting the cat when I first got them. Then, the first few
weeks with them, I make sure I say their names several times while
they're eating. This has worked for me.

Yep, I use the saying-names-while-feeding trick. Got so much into the
habit of it that I still do it, even though they all know their names by
now. But every day it's still, "Here ya go, Cosmo,", "here's your food,
Jackie", "Good boy, Trill", etc.

Ginger-lyn

--
Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com
Old January 20th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Marina wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

You actually have a cat that pays ATTENTION to its name? What's your
secret?

I've taught all mine their names by repeating the name over and over
again while petting the cat when I first got them. Then, the first few
weeks with them, I make sure I say their names several times while
they're eating. This has worked for me.

Oh, I didn't mean they were unaware of being addressed, or
ignorant of their names! (However, that does NOT mean they
choose to pay attention!)
Old January 20th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Marina wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

You actually have a cat that pays ATTENTION to its name? What's your
secret?

I've taught all mine their names by repeating the name over and over
again while petting the cat when I first got them. Then, the first
few weeks with them, I make sure I say their names several times
while they're eating. This has worked for me.

Oh, I didn't mean they were unaware of being addressed, or
ignorant of their names! (However, that does NOT mean they
choose to pay attention!)

I find one cat will pay attention if another is called, they clearly don't
want to risk missing out on something.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart