Cats and International Air Travel

Old October 5th 03, 05:30 AM
Steve Remington

Default Cats and International Air Travel

In a recent posting a group member asked about travelling with their cat on
airlines.

Many of the repliers seemed very much against having a cast travel in the
cargo section.

I am curious to know why becaue we are planning move from Australia to Great
Britain in about two years to live for about 4 years. Given that we are
going for a long (and possibly indefinite period) we plan to take our two
burmese cat with us. They will only be about 4 years old when we move.

The issues of quarantine are under control due to mutual agreements between
Australian and UK goverments (and the fact that both island countries share
a rabies free status) but I would like to know the best way to prepare our
cats for the trip on the plane in the animal cargo section. Friend of our
recently did the same thing with their two Beagles and everything worked out
OK.

I am wondering if the concerns of the repliers are just based on US domestic
air travel experiences and international air travel conditions are
different. The reason I ask is that due quarantine regulations I don't
think we will have an option of taking them in the cabin...even though they
would probably think it would be good...just how many laps could they sleep
on in a 22 hour flight :-)

Regards,
Steve
---------------------------------------
Steve Remington
Hawthorn, Victoria, Australia

---------------------------------------
Great spirits have always encountered
violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Albert Einstein
---------------------------------------

Old October 5th 03, 10:04 AM
pcb

Brandy Alexandre wrote:
Steve Remington wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

I am wondering if the concerns of the repliers are just based on
US domestic air travel experiences and international air travel
conditions are different. The reason I ask is that due quarantine
regulations I don't think we will have an option of taking them in
the cabin...even though they would probably think it would be
good...just how many laps could they sleep on in a 22 hour flight
:-)

Regards,
Steve

If you find one that allows them in the cabin, I can tell
you already that they won't allow you to have them out of the carriers.
I know that is true for the US.

It has nothing to do with the airline letting them in carriers in the
cabin, many do, it's DEFRA that has control over this issue if you're
bringing pets into the UK. I brought my cats from Turkey via Portugal,
where we stayed for 6 months so they wouldn't have to be put into
quarantine. On those trips we were able to take them in the cabin, but
once we were bringing them into the UK we had no choice, they had to go
in cargo. There is a very detailed procedure that must be carried out
before they can even be put on the plane. Steve, please check the DEFRA
website. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing there were some additional
requirements for entering from Australia.

pcb

Old October 5th 03, 10:04 AM
pcb

Brandy Alexandre wrote:
Steve Remington wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

Old October 5th 03, 11:54 AM
Steve Remington

Thanks PCB,

I have looked in to the DEFRA's requirements. They are pretty rigorous but
not impossible to comply with. As I said in my original post it is a little
easier because we would be coming from a rabies free environment.

The worst part is that you have to start the process about 7 months before
you leave.

Regards,
Steve
---------------------------------------
Steve Remington
Hawthorn, Victoria, Australia

---------------------------------------
Great spirits have always encountered
violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Albert Einstein
---------------------------------------

"pcb" wrote in message
Brandy Alexandre wrote:
Steve Remington wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

Old October 5th 03, 11:54 AM
Steve Remington

Thanks PCB,

I have looked in to the DEFRA's requirements. They are pretty rigorous but
not impossible to comply with. As I said in my original post it is a little
easier because we would be coming from a rabies free environment.

The worst part is that you have to start the process about 7 months before
you leave.

Regards,
Steve
---------------------------------------
Steve Remington
Hawthorn, Victoria, Australia

---------------------------------------
Great spirits have always encountered
violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Albert Einstein
---------------------------------------

"pcb" wrote in message
Brandy Alexandre wrote:
Steve Remington wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

Old October 5th 03, 08:42 PM
Alison

Hi Steve ,
I use to be livestock shipping some years ago and the animals
travelling in the hold from Australia were fine . It's best if they
get used to the box before hand , If you leave it out in your house
and put a blanket in it and treats , they'll soon be sleeping in it .
Please don't give them any sedatives as this can be dangerous .
Alison