*Phone Calls

Old April 3rd 08, 02:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default *Phone Calls/ & text messaging

Daniel Mahoney wrote:
Text messaging is a whole 'nother matter altogether.
I can see how it can be used 'usefully' for those who are
hearing/speech impaired, or otherwise impaired,
but why do teen-agers sit there and text to each other when they can
just ' talk'? Geez, that makes NO sense to me at all.

It can also be really useful for folks who just rally, raelly hate to
talk on the phone

I can't *stand* talking on the phone! When I did (phone) tech support for
such a long time, I'd turn the ringer off the moment I got home from work.
I don't have caller ID (I refuse to pay extra for it); these days I screen
calls via my answering machine. If I'm home and if you catch me in a rare
mood, I'll answer

My employer supplies me with a cell phone, and they don't object to me
using it for personal calls. But they don't want us sending personal
text messages, so I've got a 2nd cell phone, one I pay for myself,
that is just for text messaging. I know it's weird, but I absolutely
hate to talk on the phone.

Nothing weird about it, Dan. I'm with you. My friends (as kili can
attest!) preface calls by saying, "I know you hate talking on the phone,
but..." LOL I don't do the text-msg thing, either. I wouldn't even HAVE a
cell phone if I didn't travel. That's the only time it ever gets used and I
have a bare bones (very few minutes) plan.

Jill

Old April 3rd 08, 04:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Default *Phone Calls

"Granby" wrote in message
Somehow I can start on topic and end off topic without much effort. Storm
coming, cats are running amuck tonight.

We're supposed to be getting your storm for the next three days or so. This
is also an example of thread drift. This is what happens when good friends
get together and shoot the breeze. The cats are burrowing in for the long
haul and the house feels cold and clammy. Mike who was sick during the
night (something that involves bodily functions that we won't go into) went
to school. Mandy now claims to have the same problems. I don't see much
evidence of it, so, I suspect, she is ditching school. Again.

Pam S. who gets really tired of this sort of thing.

Old April 3rd 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Like I told my step daughter years ago, Don't want to go to school, fine,
get a job. She didn't but is sounded good at the time.
"tanadashoes" wrote in message
m...

Old April 3rd 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Apr 3, 12:56*pm, hopitus wrote:
On Apr 3, 7:05 am, Daniel Mahoney wrote:

Text messaging is a whole 'nother matter altogether.
I can see how it can be used 'usefully' for those who are hearing/speech
impaired, or otherwise impaired,
but why do teen-agers sit there and text to each other when they can just '
talk'? *Geez, that makes NO sense to me at all.

It can also be really useful for folks who just rally, raelly hate to talk
on the phone

My employer supplies me with a cell phone, and they don't object to me
using it for personal calls. But they don't want us sending personal text
messages, so I've got a 2nd cell phone, one I pay for myself, that is just
for text messaging. I know it's weird, but I absolutely hate to talk on
the phone.

Dan

If anyone is really interested in why young people are so hot on
texting
instead of phone talk: I refrain from my customary "duh" and point out
that you can sit in class all day and text *silently* (no, that is not
why
he's called "Silent" Bob) behind a screen of your book(s) and yon
"teach" will never have a clue! Maybe when you fail finals. Or not.
FYI I believe land-lines are heavily victims of phone solicitation. I
dumped
land-line service years ago, like the kids use only cellular, and have
*never*
gotten a solicitation call from robot nor hoomin. Only wrong #'s once
in
awhile are dudes calling some construction business crew chief whose
# differs one digit from mine. If yoou insist on going land-line, skip
the
directory listing. Or list your cat's name and keep a straight face
and
stiff upper lip when giving it to the phone company new-service person.- Hide quoted text -

I really hate that "text" has become a verb. Just my off-topic .02.

Sherry
Old April 3rd 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

The young ones I know can't spell worth a crap anyway and this text
messaging isn't helping a bit. If I were a teacher I would be yelling
bloody murder by now.

Old April 3rd 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 15:27:29 -0500, Granby wrote:

The young ones I know can't spell worth a crap anyway and this text
messaging isn't helping a bit. If I were a teacher I would be yelling
bloody murder by now.

You know how to can spot a text message that has been sent by an oldster?
The words are spelled properly and the sentences are punctuated.

When I was looking over phones at the phone store I made a point of
locating where the ' was hidden on the keyboard. The sales-droid that was
"helping" me couldn't understand why anyone would need that.

As I've aged I've become grumpier. Now when I see a restaurant menu that
lists "ice tea" I'll call the manager over and point out the error. Woe to
the manager of a restaurant that has "donuts" on the menu! And I have to
struggle to hold back a scream when I hear someone say "I could care less".

Old April 3rd 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Daniel Mahoney wrote:

Text messaging is a whole 'nother matter altogether.
I can see how it can be used 'usefully' for those who are hearing/speech
impaired, or otherwise impaired,
but why do teen-agers sit there and text to each other when they can just '
talk'? Geez, that makes NO sense to me at all.

It can also be really useful for folks who just rally, raelly hate to talk
on the phone

It's a common geek problem, Dan. Actually, it's a common problem,
period. I've grown to hate the phone more and more over the years. And
for me it's not due to shyness. I just feel trapped on the phone, like
I'm wasting gobs of time but can't hang up. Some people really do create
that situation, by talking on endlessly, and not providing a space for
me to say, "Well, I need to go now..." in a polite and natural manner.
So if I want to say that, I have to interrupt them, or just kind of blurt
it out awkwardly while the other person is taking a breath. I don't
always have the energy to be rude, even when it's the other person's
fault.

So I've solved that problem by just turning off my phone ringer, or not
answering it if I do have the ringer on, but checking the voice mail or
caller ID immediately afterward to make sure it's not urgent.

--
Joyce ^..^

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old April 4th 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

hopitus wrote:
[...]

Dunno about y'all inthe US, but 'txting' is far cheaper here than making a
call (flag-fall for a phone call is the same for a text message, usually),
and you can send one txt to many people for the same price as sending it to
one person. It can be made into a sorta portable e-mail group, where you can
stay in contact with all of your friends but on *your* schedule. its a cheap
and effecient way of staying in touch when you are on the go.

The 'txt' language developed so that more info could be transmitted using
the 256 character limit per textmessage (or whatever the limit is), plus it
saves on hand movements. Its just another thing young folk take up and us
old people don't understand so much. My mother has only just discovered
e-mail groups even though her daughter (me) has been using them for 15 years
or so and has told her all about them.

I don't personally use it, but then again I don't have Ipod either. My
mobile phone is there for when I'm running late (I also use it as my address
book), but I tend to prefer the 'land line' for chatting to friends. Still,
if I was younger and wanted my own phone rather than having to share my
parent's phone line...

I can easily understand its appeal, even if I don't indulge in it myself.

Yowie