Wilkommen, Bienvenue, Welcome (long)

Old April 13th 08, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baha via CatKB.com

Default Wilkommen, Bienvenue, Welcome (long)

Two of Marilyn's kitties, who were willed to me and Louie and in a legal and
veterinary limbo which lasted several months, are now home with us.
it did well for the cat-wrWelcome to my little orphans, China-Doll and Randy,
who i think is going to want to be called Fella.

China Doll is stark, pure white, with bright green eyes. She is also a little
wiseass and we may do well to change her name to Houdini...

They were transferred to us yesterday. Randy had to go get one last vet check
before we could take him, but I got to hold China in the middle of Petsmart;
and a wispy memory of Odessa-Doll came wafting up to me as my new girl cut
one that turned the air in the place absolutely purple! GREAT. My first one-
on-one with China and turns out I get a farter. A charming, outgoing little
farter so I suppose we can call it friendly fire. She is qute an extrovert.
She'll get on her hind legs when you reach down to pet her so he can get
attention a second quicker; she talks a lot and mutters the occasional
cussword. She was born early December 2002 and fits in many ways the profile
of a typical Sagittarius. She even takes aim and fires like the fabled Archer.
..

I had to stay and do some work for the shelter. My first time out there
beating drums and raising funds outside of the Santa Claus thing every year.
So while i beat drums, Louie took the cats home to put into the computer room.
And whwn allwas done and i called to be picked up, I wondered why he took so
long. Seems China got out when Louie went to get his turban and he had to
spend the next half hour chasing her all over the house. Having gotten her
back up with her very nervous sibling, he went to get me. now the whole
process of driving to Petsmart, getting me, running through Timmy Ho's for a
cup of coffee and back home is about fifteen minutes on a good day. Good for
China--I'll be dipped in Meow Mix if she didn't get that door open again! I
found her nose-kissing Stosh and sitting on Odessa's Stair, the second step
going down to the basement. 'Come on, you little troublemaker," I told her.
"You need to keep your brother company awhile." And when I picked her up, she
dropped me another rose that had me lightheaded from the sudden lack of
oxygen. Odessa is, no doubt, over the Bridge and whispering to her. For those
who remember when we got the Odessa-Doll, she was a professional escape
artist and could hide like no one I'd ever known; but then, she was all black.
She could also fart at will, as I'm afraid China-Doll can. And as she is
plotting to get out, there is also little intellectual gears clicking in
there too. I have a feeling she'll be buddies with our other resident brain,
Roxie. This combination is scary. they may end up in the White House

Now Randy is a big guy who is a wuss at heart. The poor guy is very nervous
and has spent most of his time hiding. He was born July 2006. He wants
stability and security, and he's at his wits' end over all that's happened
these past 3 months. Typical Cancer the Crab! I SWEAR you could put stock in
the horoscopes if these two are an indicator! He comes out by bits and bits;
now he isn't behind the desk but under it, about two feet away from my feet.
he was in the turban shelf earlier; i took him out and held him a while, then
he sat on the desk and got some petting before going to chill out. He's gray
and white with handsome green eyes, and absolutely no teeth. The poor guy had
some serious gingival evil late last year, and they had to come out. i
understand he has no problem with can food, and no interest in the crunchy.
Right now he doesn't have a hell of a lot of interest in food period, poor
thing. Can we blame him? He loses his Mama, gets caught up in legal
horsepucky, had to stay with someone who got blind drunk almost nightly, then
gets uprooted and carried out and put into this room? Even with another
familiar cat around, one can't blame him for nerves. I just hope he ges an
appetite soon. I suppose the old saying might well stand true here, that when
he's hungry enough he'll come chow down. He's a great hugging cat. Big, soft
and cuddly, he is. I know he must be warming up to me a bit; he gave my hand
a little head-butting a bit ago, when i went to pet him and called him Fella.

I knew he didn't think of himself as Randy because he never responded to it
one way or another, and there are reasons I don't want to cal him that. For
one, too close to Brandy (who is so nonchalant about newcomers that she's not
bothering to camp out on the stairs, but then she and China were introduced
in yesterday's escape plot.) For another, it's too close to a name of a
friend who betrayed me after my marriage to Louie; for another, the cat's
ears perk up and he turns to look me in the face when I say "Hiya, Fella!" I
tend to go with what the cat likes; Stosh and Roxie were named because they
chose the names, and i think we have the same thing going on with this big
hunky guy.

They're such lovely little people. Marilyn, I promise to do my best to do
right by them, and thank you. I know you're looking down on them from the
better place you've gone to, and I know The Boss will provide well for them
and all of us.

Welcome, little ones, orphans no more.

Blessed be,
Baha