New study links schizophrenia to cat ownership

Old June 18th 15, 11:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
whisky-dave

Default New study links schizophrenia to cat ownership

If you've not heard.

http://www.alphr.com/science/1000973...-cat-ownership

The other voice in my head doesn't agree.
Old June 18th 15, 12:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]

All 3 studies hover around 50%. Isn't that like tossing a coin??

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old June 18th 15, 12:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]

FYI, here's the facts on toxoplasmosis. Dogs can be infected also.
Since infection can be attained through multiple sources, these studies
don't impress me. It will just be another reason for folks to fear
cats, like the cat will smother your baby nonsense.

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxopla...info/faqs.html

Old June 18th 15, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhino[_3_]

On 2015-06-18 6:13 AM, whisky-dave wrote:

If you've not heard.

http://www.alphr.com/science/1000973...-cat-ownership

The other voice in my head doesn't agree.

Approximately 50 percent of the people who later had schizophrenia had
cats around when they were children. That might seem significant at
first but I'm guessing that a much higher percentage of eventual
schizophrenics had exposure to hot dogs or peanut butter or
electromagnetic radiation as kids. Wouldn't those things be more likely
the culprit than cats?

Scientists express this sort of reasoning succinctly with the
observation that "correlation is not the same as causation".

As far as I known T.gondi has not been shown to cause schizophrenia. I
believe the cause(s) of schizophrenia remain entirely unknown. Someday
we will, I hope, figure out the cause of schizophrenia and that will
help us figure out how to prevent it, assuming it can be prevented. In
the meantime, accept that we don't know and avoid persecuting cats just
on the suspicion that they may be involved.

--
Rhino
Old June 18th 15, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 13:45:13 -0400, Rhino

On 2015-06-18 6:13 AM, whisky-dave wrote:

If you've not heard.

[...]

It's a weird thing. Reports claim that about 50% of the population
carry T.gondii. Appently, it's not just schizophrenia but depression
and anxiety as well. This thing may have altered entire cultures.

I also read that pregnant women should not handle litter boxes.

Old June 18th 15, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe[_2_]

Google Groups silliness...

--

Path: eternal-september.org!mx02.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!feeder.erje.net!1.eu.feeder.erje.net !goblin1!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!newsfeed.xs4al l.nl!newsfeed8.news.xs4all.nl!newspeer1.nac.net!bo rder2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!z60 no1891577qgd.1!news-out.google.com!k20ni2502qgd.0!nntp.google.com!z60n o1891572qgd.1!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000go o.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 03:13:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: whisky-dave whisky.dave gmail.com

Old June 19th 15, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
whisky-dave

On 2015-06-18 6:13 AM, whisky-dave wrote:

If you've not heard.

http://www.alphr.com/science/1000973...-cat-ownership

The other voice in my head doesn't agree.

Approximately 50 percent of the people who later had schizophrenia had
cats around when they were children. That might seem significant at
first but I'm guessing that a much higher percentage of eventual
schizophrenics had exposure to hot dogs or peanut butter or
electromagnetic radiation as kids. Wouldn't those things be more likely
the culprit than cats?

No more so than smoking certain types of pot, or taking acid I suspect.
They have found T.gondi in ottors in the UK, which they believe comes from empting cat litter into the water system.

Scientists express this sort of reasoning succinctly with the
observation that "correlation is not the same as causation".

As far as I known T.gondi has not been shown to cause schizophrenia. I
believe the cause(s) of schizophrenia remain entirely unknown.

They do but they think that certain things either trigger them or make you more likely to 'suffer' schizophrenia .

from Someday
we will, I hope, figure out the cause of schizophrenia and that will
help us figure out how to prevent it, assuming it can be prevented.

Yes and that takes a lot of time and study.

In
the meantime, accept that we don't know and avoid persecuting cats just
on the suspicion that they may be involved.

I'm not persecuting cats niether is anyone else. Most people know of mad cat ladies. Maybe constant exposure to T.gondi (rather than the cats) does cause cetain traits like this, we won't know whitout either animal testing and/or large scale studies.