Getting cat to use scratching post?

Old November 17th 03, 01:52 PM

Default Getting cat to use scratching post?

I'm the one who has considered bringing in a stray, and did not want
to declaw her.

Before I commit to letting her in full time, I've been letting her in
for short periods (an hour or so), supervised.

I bought a sisal scratching post, and one of those cardboard
horizontal scratching pads.

When she comes in, she goes straight for my recliner and starts
scratching it.

I gently pick her up and set her next to the post.
She hasn't used it once.

But 5 minutes later, she goes back and scratches the chair.

I can't let her live inside until I can trust her.
How do I train her to scratch the post?
Old November 17th 03, 02:41 PM
Gail

Try the turbo scratcher, which can be purchased on line. My cats all love it
and never used the post. Some cats are horizontal scratchers. It is
inexpensive and worth a try.
Gail

Old November 17th 03, 03:00 PM
Wendy

You can also try that sticky tape stuff on the recliner. My new girl was
going to town on the stereo speaker. I put sticky stuff on that and got one
of those cat trees/scratching posts wrapped with the rope over the weekend
and she hasn't messed with the speaker since. I sprayed the cat tree
liberally with cat nip spray (don't know if that did anything or not). By
the looks of the sticky tape it shouldn't be a problem to remove when I'm
sure the cat is well established with the appropriate things to scratch.

Wendy