Cat show in NYC this weekend

Old October 5th 05, 03:16 PM
dgk

Default Cat show in NYC this weekend

I'm torn on the idea of cat shows. I don't like the whole idea of
breeding and selling cats when there are so many strays that need a
home, and I would never buy a purebreed. But I have to admit that
there are some mighty fine looking cats there. Ugly ones also. My
favorite are the Maine Coons. I'm pretty sure that my Nipsy is part
Maine Coon since he looks very much like some of them. But he might be
some other longhair type, like the Norwegian Forest cat or something.

The show does provide a place for adoption agencies to show their
cuties and many people end up taking some. I saw several people with
those cardboard boxes leaving last year so I guess there is no waiting
period or checkup? I can't look at the adoptables; I really don't need
a third cat.

This year the show supposedly features an agility competition! I
wonder if Espy would like to try out? He's pretty outgoing. Check this
out:

http://www.cfa-iams-cat-championship...ityphotos.html

Well I'm going with two friends on Saturday. Already bought the
tickets, last year the wait was about two hours just to buy tickets!
Old October 5th 05, 04:17 PM

dgk wrote:
I'm torn on the idea of cat shows. I don't like the whole idea of
breeding and selling cats when there are so many strays that need a
home, and I would never buy a purebreed. But I have to admit that
there are some mighty fine looking cats there. Ugly ones also. My
favorite are the Maine Coons. I'm pretty sure that my Nipsy is part
Maine Coon since he looks very much like some of them. But he might be
some other longhair type, like the Norwegian Forest cat or something.

I'm kind of torn about cat shows, also. It's fun to see the cats I'd
normally only see in books, even though I'm vehemently anti-breeding.
The rescue folks there are always quite friendly and it's fun to chat
with them. There are always neat vendors there with stuff to buy for
your cats; and raffles too.
But, in my (limited) experience only, the breeders treat the public
like a germ-laden nuisance by-product of the cat show. Naturally they
don't want anyone touching their cats; I understand that; I wouldn't
either. But they act like you're going to breathe on them or something
and really don't want to even tell you about their breed. They are
there for the rosettes, not the ticket-buyers.

Sherry

Old October 6th 05, 03:10 AM
Karen

On 2005-10-05 10:17:00 -0500, said:

dgk wrote:
[...]

I felt that way too, Sherry. But oddly, last years cat show was
different. People were very expansive. I felt every cage I walked by
held a proudly displayed pet. Owners were talky and actually would let
you touch some of them if supervised. I like listening to the judges
talk about the pet category. They really go to great lengths to explain
about genetics and stuff. It's really fun when there are rescue stories
attached (though most are a rescue of some kind or another, some
stories are amazing, especially considering that they are being happily
handled in a strange situation. This year, the receptionist from my vet
brought a BIIIIIIG cat. It was a guy who was a feral cat rescue. A
couple of years ago, no one could touch him. Her husband kept feeding
him and working on him. Finally after a few months, they trapped him
and brought him in. The husband kept working with him. Then one day he
just made a big switch and boom, he was lap cat fungus from there out.
Became Mr. Mellow. He was just fine letting even the judge handle him.
Biggest cat I think I've ever seen. Had the feral clipped ear and all.
The judge noticed right off and asked about it. He got third best pet.
He was really something. Best pet was a ticked tabby the judge went
nutso over because she said that kind of coat was very, very rare in
mixed breed stray cats.) It's a fairly small show, and I go for toys
and furniture mostly, but I sure also get a lot of education.