Cat food for urinary tract

Old December 29th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Marshall Tessnear

Default Cat food for urinary tract

We have a 12 year old cat that has started to develop urinary tract/bladder
infection. We have successfully treated this episode with antibiotics, but
the vet recommended a diet of Purina Ur, available only from the vet.
Purina also makes a product called Purina One-Urinary Health that is sold in
grocery stores, and less expensive than the Purina Ur that can be bought
from the vet. Does anyone know how these two foods compare in terms of
their content and ability to control urinary tract/bladder infections in
cats? Actually, price is not a concern when it comes to my cats, but any
advice will be appreciated. You may post an answer, but my newsreader is
not good at picking up threads, so you may also respond to my email address.
Thanks.

Old December 29th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Judy

"Marshall Tessnear" wrote in message
We have a 12 year old cat that has started to develop urinary
tract/bladder infection. We have successfully treated this episode with
antibiotics, but the vet recommended a diet of Purina Ur, available only
from the vet. Purina also makes a product called Purina One-Urinary Health
that is sold in grocery stores, and less expensive than the Purina Ur that
can be bought from the vet. Does anyone know how these two foods compare
in terms of their content and ability to control urinary tract/bladder
infections in cats? Actually, price is not a concern when it comes to my
cats, but any advice will be appreciated. You may post an answer, but my
newsreader is not good at picking up threads, so you may also respond to
my email address. Thanks.

If you are feeding dry food you might think about switching to cans. Cats
are carnivores. It's no wonder they have problems when it comes to dry food.

As if corn is natural to a cat.

Anyway, good luck!

Judy & Matilda (cat)

Old December 29th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
InnocentCat

I am not familiar with these two brands. But I have used Science Diet KD
and Eukinuba Renal Formula. Both are fine....canned and dried.

Old December 29th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Marshall,

I would go onto the Purina website and see if you can find the
ingredients/percentages for both. If not, you could try their 800 number
or email them.

We've used ProPlan urinary formula, purchased at PetSmart, on our cat.
Purina does ProPlan's formula (their logo is on the package.)

Did your cat have crystals? Urinary formulas usually help change the Ph
of the urine to keep crystals from forming. Our cat had crystals and a
bacterial infection. Unfortunately, a year later -- he had another
bacterial infection but no crystals (on ProPlan) this time. That part
was good.

Rhonda