tortoise shell cats

Old January 27th 05, 07:36 PM
ken

Default tortoise shell cats

I have had cats for 60+ years, but this is the first tortoise shell
kitten.

She seems to be not only hyperactive, but almost beserk in her racing
around and climbing anything in sight, etc....Her twin is docile by
comparison and sleeps many more hours per day.
Are tortoise shell "wired" differently?

thanks

Ken

Old January 27th 05, 07:56 PM
agent smith

hehe. my pastel calico is the same way. she play-fights with Vlad the
impaler all the time, but leaves Giant alone. she actually hisses at Giant
when he tries to play with her, but if she casually walks by him and he
licks her a few times, she pays him no mind. calico cats and their brethren
are indeed strange, but fascinating cats

-agent smith

--
Be sure to check out http://home.satx.rr.com/satxcichlids
for information on my fishies! also, sign up for a *FREE*

remove UNDIES to reply
oups.com...

Old January 27th 05, 08:17 PM
rpl

ken wrote:
I have had cats for 60+ years, but this is the first tortoise shell
kitten.

She seems to be not only hyperactive, but almost beserk in her racing
around and climbing anything in sight, etc....Her twin is docile by
comparison and sleeps many more hours per day.
Are tortoise shell "wired" differently?

yeah, got two, one's a tiny lunatic pretending to be a cat (which I
understand is standard tortie temperament), the other totally Maine
Coone in size, looks and attitude.

pat
Old January 27th 05, 08:34 PM
Rhonda

Yes, I think they are.

We have two, and both are more skittish than the others. They are hyper
and quirky.

One was found as a feral 6-month old kitten, so I've always thought it
was formal-feral characteristics. Then we got another one...

Love 'em to death, though.

Rhonda

Old January 27th 05, 09:10 PM
M.C. Mullen

"Rhonda" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
| Yes, I think they are.
|
| We have two, and both are more skittish than the others. They are hyper
| and quirky.
|
| One was found as a feral 6-month old kitten, so I've always thought it
| was formal-feral characteristics. Then we got another one...
|
| Love 'em to death, though.
|
| Rhonda

My former vet always claimed that torties were impossible to vaccine - he
looked as if he was terrified of them!

Carola

Old January 28th 05, 03:40 AM
carlene

I just posted a message yesterday about the loss of our tortie Bliss.
She definitely had an "attitude" and a paranoid edge to her, but very
sweet and affectionate. She had to be petted a very specific way or
she would swipe at you so quickly that you would swear you did not see
it coming. Our party guests avoid her because of her temperament, and
one guest describes Bliss as "the scary black cat" and re-tells the
story of being swiped at by Bliss when he was walking by her and
minding his own business. Bliss would growl at my brother for just
standing next to her, but to us, she was our precious princess with a
wonderful personality. She was so high-strung that the vets had to
mildly sedate her or use a net to examine her! As a kitten, she was
very hyper, darting around the room like a rocket (we called her "a
mechanical kitty", but throughout the years, she really mellowed out
(though those quick swiping movement never faded except on her last
days) . We will always miss her. Good luck with your Tortie!

Old January 28th 05, 08:27 AM
Talkin Horse

Perhaps it's best to say that torties have agendas. They won't go along to
get along. They know how things ought to be, and they insist that things be
that way. My tortie is the best cat ever, but I know better than to
challenge her authority.

I don't know if the foregoing applies to *all* torties, but the description
probably can't be dismissed.

BTW, here's an interesting brief article about the genetics of tri-color
cats. A tortie owner ought to know this; it will make you appreciate the
special magic that went into the creation of your cat:

http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/tricolors.shtml

Remember: A tri-color cat is as good as three ordinary cats!

Old January 28th 05, 07:08 PM

Are torties "wired"

We those of us that love torties call it "tortietude"
They definitely have a personality all their own

Beverley

Old April 30th 06, 04:47 AM
i love my jootard i love my jootard is offline
Junior Member

Location: North Berwick, ME
Send a message via AIM to i love my jootard

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Are torties "wired"

We those of us that love torties call it "tortietude"
They definitely have a personality all their own

Beverley
that is so weord because i have probably the most multicolored cat on earth when she was born we just thought she was weird looking but didnt think anything about it, but when she got older we noticed she acted really weird, she would be laying down purring right next to my head on my bed and the next if she hears the slightest noise she runs off down the hall at a full sprint, also when ever i try to play with her she crouches down like shes going to pounce but never moves. up untill this morning i had no idea why she ascted so weird or had so many colors but when we got her fixed my dad was told about torties and how the act, so it basically explains everything, thats so weird how an entire breed of cats can act the same. yeah shes also very dumb compared to other cats even, i used to throw her toy mouse over this 5 foot ledge in our dining room and she would run after it at a full sprint and not even think about what she was doing, its kind of like when people run off cliffs in cartoons, shes was literally still running when she goes off the edge, she also never learns and does it when ever you throw the mouse. Being that everyone in this forum has a tortie, could people answer a few questions for me? first are they all so hyperreactive and stupid? my kitten is a little heavy she is like all muscle but she has loose skin, is that because she is a tortoiseshell? third are most 7 or 8 different colors?