Now I have a cat in a cage in my garage!

Old August 1st 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

Default Now I have a cat in a cage in my garage!

I came home from work, and decided to try being sneaky.

I parked my car on the street, and let myself in the service door. I
figured the cat would freeze where it was, hoping I wouldn't see him. Or
something.

I was right: she was on top of the lumber.

Yes, it's a female. Looks pretty much full grown, but very, very thin
:-(

She didn't struggle at all. I set her down on the floor (keeping a light
hold on her) and she just flopped down on the floor, purring.

I started petting her, and she just ate it up, head butting me.

This is no stray or feral: it's a dumped pet. This cat has spent time
around people. Enough to know that that's where food comes from :-)

Then I figured I had to lock her up, or I wouldn't see her for a week,
again.

I have a wire cat 'carrier' that's big enough for two cats; I got it
when I adopted Lucky. Later, I bought 2 'single sized', used plastic
carriers, for Lucky and Blizzard.

Anyway, I put the kitty in the large carrier. It makes for a pretty
small cage :-(

I put a really small litter box, and some food and water in with her.

There is hardly room for the poor kitty in there :-(

Then I spent the whole afternoon calling shelters and rescue
organizations, again.

This time I thought I would offer to make a 'sizeable donation' (yeah, I
lied....), if they would take this loveable kitty.

NO WAY!

NOBODY will take the cat, no matter WHAT I promise. ONE place said they
would help out with the vet expenses, but only if I would foster her,
until she's adopted.

I don't know how long it takes to get FeLeuk, FIP, etc test results. Not
overnight, that's for sure.

And I can't foster her.

Kenzie (my primary concern, after all) would go ballistic.

I tried to introduce another cat to her before.

Kenzie is a dedicated 'only cat'; for life.

Even if and when I could get the kitty checked out, I can't isolate her.

The basement is spiders, centipedes, pill bugs, and mold. And Kenzie's
litter box is down there.

The door on the bathroom hasn't really worked for at least 5 years. My
drunken, overweight brother tried to open the door without using the
knob. He broke the hinges, and the latch, right off the door frame.

Later, when he sobered up, he advised me I would have to have a new door
hung, frame and all. I just never did it. I live alone; I don't care if
the door doesn't latch...or really close.

So now I have really unhappy cat in a small cage, in my garage.

Every 10 minutes or so, I go out to check on her. She cries when she
sees me. Poor kitty: she must be scared to death. She hasn't eaten the
gooshy food I gave her. That's not a good sign. She's so very, very
thin. She needs to eat.

Things are just going from bad to worse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

Old August 1st 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Gandalf" wrote in message
[...]

Purrs, Gandalf, and kind thoughts. You have her caught and now you have
something to go on. I know this group well enough to know that some of us
will be willing to contribute to taking care of the little girl. Can you
email your contact information to Victor, especially that of your vet?
What does she look like and do you have a name for her yet?

Victor, can you take care of a PayPal for Gandalf and this little girl?

Pam S. who forgot to change her PayPal account, yikes!

Old August 1st 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Gandalf wrote:
I don't know how long it takes to get FeLeuk, FIP, etc test results. Not
overnight, that's for sure.

Actually, the test does take a few minutes.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old August 1st 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

tanadashoes wrote:
Victor, can you take care of a PayPal for Gandalf and this little girl?

Certainly. However, I am also taking donations for Ginger-lyn, so those
of you willing, please specify who the money is for.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old August 1st 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

Gandalf wrote:
[...]

Oh Gosh, this breaks my heart, but I can only imagine what you're feeling.
Can she stay in the garage for time being, not in the cage?

kili

Old August 1st 08, 07:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 00:54:55 GMT, (Gandalf) wrote:

I came home from work, and decided to try being sneaky.

I parked my car on the street, and let myself in the service door. I
figured the cat would freeze where it was, hoping I wouldn't see him. Or
something.

I was right: she was on top of the lumber.

Yes, it's a female. Looks pretty much full grown, but very, very thin
:-(

I have been talking to a former coworker. He's a big cat lover, and he
has the space to keep the kitty (no name yet) isolated.

I should mention that since I realized the cat wasn't leaving, I have
spent an enormous amount of time trying to find somebody who lost this
cat.

I contacted all the normal places: Animal Control, craigslist.com, the
newspaper. Vet offices in the area. I even called the Inhumane Society,
to see about reports of lost cats in my area. I found NOTHING.

I covered every street for a mile in every direction, looking for 'lost
cat' posters.

I found several, and, since this was before I had seen the kitty, I just
kept the information.

None of the lost cats were a buff colored with a white belly female :-(

So the cat WHO NEEDS A NAME, is going to live in a large walk in closet,
(it's better than a GARAGE, at least! And it has a window, too.) while I
see if I can get the ONLY no kill rescue organization in a metro area of
3 million people, who didn't just say 'no we can't do ANYTHING for you'
to help with the vet costs.

I have to get some Advantage or Frontline (DUH..why didn't I think of
this already?) to give the cat before she can go to her new 'home'

How long does it take for Advantage, or Frontline to kill off all the
fleas this unfortunate kitty might have?

Because that's how long she will have to stay in my garage :-(
Old August 1st 08, 08:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Gandalf wrote:
Things are just going from bad to worse.

We're purring hard for you to find a solution. I so hope the poor kitty
will find a new home through you.

Old August 1st 08, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

Gandalf wrote:

I have to get some Advantage or Frontline (DUH..why didn't I think of
this already?) to give the cat before she can go to her new 'home'

How long does it take for Advantage, or Frontline to kill off all the
fleas this unfortunate kitty might have?

Because that's how long she will have to stay in my garage :-(

Supposedly, fleas die within 24 hours after treatment. I'm glad you found
someone to foster her, though. Even a closet has to be better than a hot
garage. Good luck!

kili

the cage is ready Ann Cat anecdotes 8 November 4th 04 01:01 PM
Houdini dog breaks out of cage... [email protected] Cat anecdotes 2 October 7th 04 02:36 PM
a Sphynx cat sits in its cage Trelling Cat anecdotes 18 May 19th 04 02:53 PM
Help for cat in cage? Chris Cat rescue 8 February 2nd 04 06:50 PM
Help for cat in cage... Chris Cat health & behaviour 45 January 20th 04 03:09 AM