Update 2 on Eubie Kay...

Old March 8th 09, 06:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Phoenix

Default Update 2 on Eubie Kay...

"Eubie Kay" == UBK == Unnamed Blind Kitty.

She is settling in well in the front room, and comes out for
purrs and pettings when John or I come near or sit down nearby.
She is eating, drinking, using the catbox and enjoys her soft
kitty bed. (She slept next to it for the first few days it was
there, silly thing.)

She went to the vet and is FeLeuk and FIV negative (yay!) She is
5-7 years old and healthy and now weighs 7 pounds but looks like
she should be an 8-9 pound kitty at a healthy weight.

We are almost certain that she has been owned before, as she is
so much older than we thought. We've asked at all the local vets
(none knew of a blind kitty, lost or otherwise). We've put up
signs, put an ad on Craiglist and put an ad in the Found section
of the local paper. No calls yet. Meanwhile, we're figuring out
how the integration might work.

We may not ever introduce her to Molly the dog, or let her into
the rest of the house; the house is large and things do move
around frequently. She really doesn't go far from her bed. It's a
safe, bounded space here in the front room.

We have started introductions to the other cats by opening the
upper half of the double dutch doors to the rest of the house,
letting Cinder, Miss Kitty and Emma pop in for a while...with no
results so far. Miss Kitty went around the end of the couch
where Eubie Kay was sleeping, but backed up and left without a
word. Cinder and Emma never got farther than the bowl of catfood
at the other end of the couch.

We are worried that being blind, she doesn't know about squinking
up her eyes and looking harmless. What will the other cats think
about this? will there be more fights? Advice, if there is any
out there, is welcome. Are there any other things we should take
into account when integrating her?

I got her some dingly balls to play with and it just scared her
silly and she ran under the couch again. We are feeling like she
might be bored, as we aren't here to interact with her huge
amounts of time, she doesn't come out except to eat and get
petted when we sit near her, and the noisy toy scared her.

So far, so good, I guess. She MUST be feeling better and less
starved, because she ignored some gooshy food a little while ago.
Yay!

--
Deborah
Old March 8th 09, 10:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Phoenix wrote:
[...]

It sounds like you're making great progress, thanks for the update.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old March 8th 09, 04:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 7, 11:31*pm, Phoenix wrote:
"Eubie Kay" == UBK == Unnamed Blind Kitty.

She is eating, drinking, using the catbox and enjoys her soft
kitty bed. (She slept next to it for the first few days it was
there, silly thing.)

If she's previously had a home (and perish the thought been dumped
because of sight loss! I'd like to say who could do something like
that but we all know there are people who would dump their cat for
losing her sight) she may be unable to believe her luck at getting
another chance. Perhaps she didn't want to sleep on the bed because
it took her a few days to believe that she's really in a place where
it's safe, warm and it looks like she isn't going to get thrown out
again and there really is a nice soft kitty bed for her

She sounds like she's coming along just fine I am so glad for her and
can't thank you enough for taking her in

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old March 10th 09, 12:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Phoenix" wrote in message
"Eubie Kay" == UBK == Unnamed Blind Kitty.

She is settling in well in the front room, and comes out for purrs and
pettings when John or I come near or sit down nearby. She is eating,
drinking, using the catbox and enjoys her soft kitty bed. (She slept next
to it for the first few days it was there, silly thing.)

(snippage)
--
Deborah

First of all, thank you again for taking her in. Sounds like she's settling
in beautifully! The test results are great. Secondly, sighted or not, cats
often take a while to do things we think just make good sense. Like
sleeping in a nice cushy bed. Persia ignored her soft pyramid bed thing for
weeks. Then one day she decided it was the perfect place to snooze

Jill

Old March 17th 09, 08:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Phoenix wrote:
"Eubie Kay" == UBK == Unnamed Blind Kitty.

She is settling in well in the front room, and comes out for purrs and
pettings when John or I come near or sit down nearby. She is eating,
drinking, using the catbox and enjoys her soft kitty bed. (She slept
next to it for the first few days it was there, silly thing.)

snip
So far, so good, I guess. She MUST be feeling better and less starved,
because she ignored some gooshy food a little while ago. Yay!

GReat news!
Lots of purrs,
Polonca and Soncek