Dry or canned: best food at various price points?

Old July 28th 05, 07:23 AM
Kiran

Default Dry or canned: best food at various price points?

Rather than rekindle the usual canned versus dry debate, I would like
to ask which is better, not in an absolute sense, but at a particular
price point?

My cat eats approximately one 6z can per day:

For the cheapest brands, this works out to 25 cents/day.

Stocking up on sales, one can get certain premiums for 50 cents/day.
I have been able to purchase Science Diet, Iams, Nutro at that price.

Finally, it is easy enough to spend $1+ per day.

Since dry food is cheaper, would my cat be getting better quality
nutrition if I went dry at any of these price points, specially 25
cents and 50 cents per day?
Old July 28th 05, 09:56 AM
Shawn Hirn

In article , Kiran
wrote:

Rather than rekindle the usual canned versus dry debate, I would like
to ask which is better, not in an absolute sense, but at a particular
price point?

My cat eats approximately one 6z can per day:

For the cheapest brands, this works out to 25 cents/day.

Stocking up on sales, one can get certain premiums for 50 cents/day.
I have been able to purchase Science Diet, Iams, Nutro at that price.

Finally, it is easy enough to spend $1+ per day.

Since dry food is cheaper, would my cat be getting better quality
nutrition if I went dry at any of these price points, specially 25
cents and 50 cents per day?

Your cat's vet would probably be your best authority on this question.
Its an interesting question. I split the difference and feed my cat dry
food and wet food. My cat gets wet food about 25% of the time.
Old July 28th 05, 02:24 PM
Barrnabas Collins

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 06:23:41 GMT, Kiran wrote:

Finally, it is easy enough to spend $1+ per day.

You probably spend $6-$20 a day feeding yourself
but you're complaining about $1. per day for a cat?

Bear in mind feeding a cat a premium food like
Science Diet/IAMS etc. will pay off in the long
run with less litter being used, less waste in the
litter box, and lower vet bills.

As far as which is better, moist or dry?
Depends on the cat. Some cats
prefer moist, some cats prefer dry.

I would add if the cat is older and has
dental problems they may prefer the
moist food.

They say dry food is supposed to be
better for the teeth. The problem is
some cats swallow it whole and don't
chew the food so it doesn't touch the
teeth.

Old July 29th 05, 06:57 AM
Carol Cooper

i buy my dry food in 18 kg bags from Pet Valu, i forget the name but its
like 17 bux lasts 4 cats 5 months

Old July 29th 05, 07:57 PM
PipeDown

Feed you cat what it likes.

I feed one or two pouches of wet food per day but the dry food is there full
time for snacking. Sometimes I just stir up the dry food and that is enough
to get him interested.

I had another cat (passed now) that lived 21 years on nothing but name brand
dry food (not a store brand and not one of those premium brands either) and
she might nibble some wet food but clearly preferred the dry.

Old July 29th 05, 09:01 PM
John

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 18:57:54 GMT, A strange species called "PipeDown"
wrote:

Feed you cat what it likes.

I feed one or two pouches of wet food per day but the dry food is there full
time for snacking. Sometimes I just stir up the dry food and that is enough
to get him interested.

I had another cat (passed now) that lived 21 years on nothing but name brand
dry food (not a store brand and not one of those premium brands either) and
she might nibble some wet food but clearly preferred the dry.

Our cat only really likes wet food and it has to be Whiskas and
preferably the fish varieties like Tuna, Salmon, Cod and Prawns in
Jelly. Anything else he turns his nose up to and walks away

He eats wet food 75% of the time and dry 25% at the most.

We have Purina dried food for him. We just put a small amount out each
day. The dried food goes stale very quickly (probably within a day) at
which point he won't eat any more.

The dried food is supposed to be better for him as it has more of the
vitamins and minerals he needs than the wet food. He prefers the wet
though.

We also occasionally feed some real fresh food like Tuna, Salmon etc
which he loves. He also loves fresh ham.

He is about 2.5 years old now. He is quite big and strong and has a
very healthy coat with great colour.

John