just got out the hospital from a bee attack

Old September 22nd 14, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default just got out the hospital from a bee attack

Well been in the hospital for a few days. Just got out last night. I was
attacked by Africanized honey bees one of the first cases in my area to be
report. I got nailed 10 or 12 times. Luckily I was wearing heavy clothing
or a lot more would have got me.

I was working in the yard cutting plants long over due to be cut than bam
they were on me. Luckily I am not allergic to the point where my throat
swelled up. But right now my right eye is continuing to swell shut I am on
meds for the next few days .

Picture is below when the pest control found the nest estimated about 40k
in bees
http://tinypic.com/r/10yp4px/8

Old September 22nd 14, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Matthew" wrote in message ...

Well been in the hospital for a few days. Just got out last night. I was
attacked by Africanized honey bees one of the first cases in my area to be
report. I got nailed 10 or 12 times. Luckily I was wearing heavy clothing
or a lot more would have got me.

I was working in the yard cutting plants long over due to be cut than bam
they were on me. Luckily I am not allergic to the point where my throat
swelled up. But right now my right eye is continuing to swell shut I am on
meds for the next few days .

Picture is below when the pest control found the nest estimated about 40k
in bees
http://tinypic.com/r/10yp4px/8

~~~~~~
Ouch! That sounds nasty, but I'm glad it wasn't worse. The brother of a
friend of mine was killed by Africanized bees. They swarmed all over his
body.

MaryL

Old September 22nd 14, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Matthew" wrote in message ...

[...]

They tried to me but luckily heavy clothes and neighbor had a fire
extinguisher plus was quick thinking. Glad I am only 245 pounds now I move
like lightning If I was still 500 pounds I would be dead

Old September 22nd 14, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 9/22/2014 2:52 PM, Matthew wrote:
Well been in the hospital for a few days. Just got out last night. I was
attacked by Africanized honey bees one of the first cases in my area to be
report. I got nailed 10 or 12 times. Luckily I was wearing heavy clothing
or a lot more would have got me.

I was working in the yard cutting plants long over due to be cut than bam
they were on me. Luckily I am not allergic to the point where my throat
swelled up. But right now my right eye is continuing to swell shut I am on
meds for the next few days .

Picture is below when the pest control found the nest estimated about 40k
in bees
http://tinypic.com/r/10yp4px/8

Yikes! That makes two of our number to have nasty experiences and end
up in the hospital. I'm glad it wasn't worse, and hope the pain and
swelling go away quickly.

Joy

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Old September 23rd 14, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Well been in the hospital for a few days. Just got out last night.
I was attacked by Africanized honey bees one of the first cases
in my area to be report. I got nailed 10 or 12 times. Luckily I was
wearing heavy clothing or a lot more would have got me.

Rather less scary, but I was playing in a pub music session on Sunday.
For the song in question I'd figured out a routine that started using
an Italian-type ocarina, then switched to the saxophone, then back to
the ocarina at the end. I had my eyes shut thinking about what I was
going to do for a solo break on the ocarina when I felt a faint tickle
on my fingers. Kept on playing, but when I opened my eyes to reach for
the sax, I saw Marion and the ukulele player holding balls of tissue
ready to squash a wasp that had just flown off my hand and onto the
table where I had my instruments. It didn't live to the end of the
song.

The song? "I'll Fly Away".

Old September 23rd 14, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 9/22/2014 4:47 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
[...]

LOL! (Only because your story had a happy ending, although not for the
wasp)

Old September 23rd 14, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 17:52:49 -0400, "Matthew"
wrote:
Picture is below when the pest control found the nest estimated about 40k
in bees
http://tinypic.com/r/10yp4px/8

OMG, I'm glad you're all right - that thing is ginormous!

I hope you at least got some honey for your significant troubles.
Old September 23rd 14, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_3_]

In article , "Matthew" wrote:
Well been in the hospital for a few days.

Wow - that has to ruin your day. Glad you'll come through OK; that's one
hellacious story.

Art

---

Old September 23rd 14, 02:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

wrote:

Well been in the hospital for a few days. Just got out last night. I was
attacked by Africanized honey bees one of the first cases in my area to be
report. I got nailed 10 or 12 times. Luckily I was wearing heavy clothing
or a lot more would have got me.

I was working in the yard cutting plants long over due to be cut than bam
they were on me. Luckily I am not allergic to the point where my throat
swelled up. But right now my right eye is continuing to swell shut I am on
meds for the next few days .

Picture is below when the pest control found the nest estimated about 40k
in bees
http://tinypic.com/r/10yp4px/8

Nice nest. I'm certainly glad you didn't die; we kind of like you
around here.

I have a small plastic pumpkin with a solar charger and LED so it
lights up at night. I just kept it outside since last October, and
when I moved it so we could stick the umbrella in the table for a
summer barbeque, I discovered that yellow jackets thought that it was
a fine place to build a next. But I left it elsewhere in the yard
since the yellow jackets didn't bother us and they need to live
somewhere. Now it's almost October again so it will have completed one
whole cycle.

I know yellow jackets are supposed to be aggressive but these weren't
and I didn't see any reason to kill them. Besides, I hate spraying any
kind of poison in the yard since my cats hang out there.
Old September 24th 14, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 9/22/2014 5:52 PM, Matthew wrote:
Well been in the hospital for a few days. Just got out last night. I was
attacked by Africanized honey bees one of the first cases in my area to be
report. I got nailed 10 or 12 times. Luckily I was wearing heavy clothing
or a lot more would have got me.

I was working in the yard cutting plants long over due to be cut than bam
they were on me. Luckily I am not allergic to the point where my throat
swelled up. But right now my right eye is continuing to swell shut I am on
meds for the next few days .

Picture is below when the pest control found the nest estimated about 40k
in bees
http://tinypic.com/r/10yp4px/8

Sounds horrific, Matthew! I'm glad you were wearing sufficient
clothing. That attack could have lead to your death. By all accounts
those are some really nasty bees. That's a huge nest, too. (I feel
sorry for the pest control people who had to deal with them.)

Kudos to your neighbor for quick thinking and thinking about using (and
having) a fire extinquisher. I hope you're okay now.

Jill