A cat forum. CatBanter

The 7 foot fence

Old September 7th 19, 11:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Judith Latham

Default The 7 foot fence

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on September 21, 2019.

We have a 7 foot fence which divides our garden from our neighbours.

Sootie has always jumped up halfway and scrambled up to the top, walked
along it then with a flick of her tail, she disappeared over the the end
of the fence.

I noticed on several occasions she looked at the fence as if she was gong
to jump up then changed her mind and pottered about in the garden.

So I put a patio chair against the fence. she watched me and went to check
what I'd done then wandered off. I carried on hanging my washing on the
line and when I looked she was lying on the seat. Then she had another
wander and I went to the chair and patted the seat and pointed to the top
of the fence. She watched me, sat thinking for a few minutes then came
over, jumped onto the sat and, after positioning herself properly, she
jumped up, reaching the top with a lot less effort. sHe walked along the
fence and jumped down onto the grass. she then went back to the chair and
got onto the the arm (narrow flat metal and about 9 inches higher than the
seat) of the chair and jumped from there. That's how she does it now and
she goes onto the fence whenever she fancies.

She must have been finding it more difficult now she's 12 years old.

We want to replace the wooden fence panels with plastic ones so we're
thinking about how we can get some steps there for her as they will be a
bit hard for her to grip.

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.
Old September 7th 19, 07:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tina[_2_]

On 07/09/2019 11:36, Judith Latham wrote:
[...]

Boyfie had the same problem as he got older, he was unable to scale my
two metre fence which I have one side of my garden, nor was he able to
shoot up a tree within two seconds like he used to, which was an
important skill if he was out during the dark when foxes are around.

Unlike you, I didn't help him scale the fence. I thought "what if he's
the other side one day and in danger, and can't get back?" He was put
on a curfew too, to be in before it was dark. That didn't always work
but if he asked to go out when it was already dark, I refused. It often
didn't go down well..

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
The fence is up! dgk Cat anecdotes 6 December 15th 17 10:18 AM
Getting a quote for a fence dgk Cat anecdotes 9 August 26th 17 02:54 PM
A Cat Fence Idea Kyla `=^. .^=`[_2_] Cat anecdotes 0 May 31st 08 12:52 AM
For Cat fence in people Karen Chuplis Cat health & behaviour 4 March 21st 04 03:22 AM
Has anyone tried a cat fence? dgk Cat health & behaviour 5 July 24th 03 12:39 AM