My cat is starting to bite

Old October 29th 11, 05:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dick Adams

Default My cat is starting to bite

My cat is 11 years old and has now started biting.
Last week, while sitting on my lap, she turned and
bit my on th wrist. Last night she bit me on the
leg.

Is this common in cats as they get older?
Is there a cure (other than hitting her) for biting?

Dick
Old October 29th 11, 06:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

This could have been a "love bite". Was it just a "nip" or did it draw
blood? Some cats get over stimulated and do that. Don't hit her unless
it was a hard, vicious bite.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old October 29th 11, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dick Adams

---MIKE--- wrote:
This could have been a "love bite". Was it just a "nip" or did it draw
blood? Some cats get over stimulated and do that. Don't hit her unless
it was a hard, vicious bite.

Two of the bites drew blood - That's why I am concerned.

Old October 30th 11, 08:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Dick Adams wrote:
My cat is 11 years old and has now started biting.
Last week, while sitting on my lap, she turned and
bit my on th wrist. Last night she bit me on the
leg.

Is this common in cats as they get older?
Is there a cure (other than hitting her) for biting?

Dick

Sometimes cats get arthritus when they get old, and it hurts them when you
pet them or make them move in ways that you used to do when they were young,
so it is possible that this is why she bites. So, the first step is to make
sure that you aren't hurting her in some way.

Old October 30th 11, 08:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

---MIKE--- wrote:
This could have been a "love bite". Was it just a "nip" or did it
draw blood? Some cats get over stimulated and do that. Don't hit
her unless it was a hard, vicious bite.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

All of my cats lived somewhere else before I got them. I don't know their
histories, so I don't know if they were mistreated in the past. Some of them
bit me when I forst got them, but after a while they settled down in the lap
of luxoury that living with me is, andf they no longer bit me when I touched
them. So this is another possibility.....

Old October 30th 11, 05:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dick Adams

Bill Graham wrote:
Dick Adams wrote:

My cat is 11 years old and has now started biting.
Last week, while sitting on my lap, she turned and
bit my on th wrist. Last night she bit me on the
leg.

Is this common in cats as they get older?
Is there a cure (other than hitting her) for biting?

Dick

Sometimes cats get arthritus when they get old, and it hurts them when you
pet them or make them move in ways that you used to do when they were young,
so it is possible that this is why she bites. So, the first step is to make
sure that you aren't hurting her in some way.

Thanks Bill, I had not considered arthitus,

Dick
Old October 31st 11, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Dick Adams wrote:
Bill Graham wrote:
Dick Adams wrote:

My cat is 11 years old and has now started biting.
Last week, while sitting on my lap, she turned and
bit my on th wrist. Last night she bit me on the
leg.

Is this common in cats as they get older?
Is there a cure (other than hitting her) for biting?

Dick

Sometimes cats get arthritus when they get old, and it hurts them
when you pet them or make them move in ways that you used to do when
they were young, so it is possible that this is why she bites. So,
the first step is to make sure that you aren't hurting her in some
way.

Thanks Bill, I had not considered arthitus,

Dick

When we first got Sara, our farm bred cat, she would sit on our lap for a
while, and then, when she was ready to leave, would bite or scratch us and
then jump down and run. I don't know how she developed this behavior, but it
has decreased with time, and now she just jumps down and leaves without
trying to hurt us. I think that there are environmental pressures that can
affect the behavior of pets, and we don't, for the most part, know just what
these are or how they manifest themselves. In general, I have found that
patience is a great tool in stopping this kind of behavior. One thing is for
sure. I am very glad that I am not a pet psychaitrist....:^)

Old October 31st 11, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene[_2_]

No, this is not common. The first thing I would do is get her checked
out by the vet to rule out a medical problem. She could be in pain and
biting may be her way of protecting herself. Get bloodwork done to
rule out any major problems.

Also, if she did draw blood--keep a close eye on that wound! Cat bites
often get infected and can lead to a serious infection.

Rene
Old November 1st 11, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Rene wrote:
No, this is not common. The first thing I would do is get her checked
out by the vet to rule out a medical problem. She could be in pain and
biting may be her way of protecting herself. Get bloodwork done to
rule out any major problems.

Also, if she did draw blood--keep a close eye on that wound! Cat bites
often get infected and can lead to a serious infection.

Rene

Yes. I didn't think of that. If she's an outside cat, she could have picked
up Rabies from some wild animal, and by biting you, transfer the disease to
you. Get her checked out, and the sooner the better.