why do I watch that show?

Old February 22nd 05, 07:39 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

Default why do I watch that show?

I am addicted to the animal "cops" shows on animal planet. They follow the
stories of animals rescued from horrible situations. Some make it; some
don't. The punishment the owner receives never seems to be enough(*).

I can't figure out why I watch it. Maybe because it warms my heart to see
these rescue workers going out, day after day, and doing the best they can to
help those who cannot help themselves. I find myself thinking, maybe I could
do that. And then I realize that I would never have the self-control to do
that job. And I have the training to injure someone very badly if they upset
me enough.

A guy is convicted of animal cruelty for letting a pregnant mare starve to the
point where she has to be euthanized ... and he gets two days in jail and a
thousand bucks fine. As DH so aptly put it, "Makes you wish they would
euthanize some of the owners instead."

(*) I feel that in the US, at least, a large problem with the criminal justice
system is that we can't decide if we want to punish or rehabilitate our
inmates. I tend to lean toward rehab, myself, but I think that by waffling
between the two, we're being more ineffective than we would be with either
approach.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old February 22nd 05, 12:13 PM
Gabey8

[[I am addicted to the animal "cops" shows on animal planet. They follow
the
stories of animals rescued from horrible situations. Some make it; some
don't. The punishment the owner receives never seems to be enough(*).

I can't figure out why I watch it. Maybe because it warms my heart to
see
these rescue workers going out, day after day, and doing the best they can
help those who cannot help themselves. I find myself thinking, maybe I
could
do that. And then I realize that I would never have the self-control to
do
that job. And I have the training to injure someone very badly if they
upset
me enough.]]

Tell me about it. I watch the show more often than I probably should,
given how angry I get when I see some of the cases being presented.

There's one recent episode where I did have to change the channel the
first time I saw it aired. It was soon after Harmony went to the RB, after
several weeks where the vet and I just could not keep her from losing
weight, and where daily feedings by syringe were not helping. So when some
[insert expletive here] neglected his dogs to the point where the officers
found them shockingly emaciated, AND they discovered the body of one dog
that'd starved to death, I was even more furious than usual. "I busted my
tail and ran up huge vet bills to try and reverse it when my sick cat lost
weight like that, and THIS [expletive omitted] had perfectly HEALTHY pets
and LET them get into that condition." I had to change the channel. (I've
since watched the episode, but that first time it came on, I couldn't bear
to see those dogs and know that someone's neglect made them look like
that.)

I couldn't be one of those animal officers. Even though under normal
circumstances I'm not a violent person, I fear I'd be in jail for assault
the first time I knew I was in the presence of an animal abuser. That's
also one of the reasons I realized I'd have trouble being a
veterinarian... I probably shouldn't have access to things like scalpels
if I'm ever in the presence of someone I KNOW harmed their pet
deliberately. Resisting the temptation to visit similar treatment on the
abuser would be a tough challenge, at best.

[[A guy is convicted of animal cruelty for letting a pregnant mare starve
to the
point where she has to be euthanized ... and he gets two days in jail and
thousand bucks fine. As DH so aptly put it, "Makes you wish they would
euthanize some of the owners instead."]]

It's a shame that it's not permissible to inflict, on the abusive or
severely neglectful owner, the same sufferings that they allowed their
animal(s) to go through. We have laws against cruel and unusual punishment
in this country.

On the other hand... it IS pretty nice to see the animals re-homed with
caring people, toward the end of each episode. It's always a pleasure to
see that the animals are recovered from the injury or neglect, and now
have humans who are prepared to spoil them rotten, as they should be.

Donna and the spoiled-rotten twosome, Captain and Stanley

Old February 22nd 05, 01:49 PM
Katz

I could never watch that show. I can't stand animal cruelty. And yes,
the punishment often doesn't seem to be enough.

I live in SC Pennsylvania, land of puppy mills. Don't get me started.
Grrr...

Old February 22nd 05, 03:42 PM
L. (usenetlyn)

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
I am addicted to the animal "cops" shows on animal planet.

Oh me too. I think I watch it because of the "train wreck" factor. I
have worked in shelters, and even some of the stuff on that show
surprises me. Sometimes I think they make the wrong decision to euth
for behavioral problems. I especially hate the cat episodes.

-L.

Old February 22nd 05, 03:52 PM
Lesley Madigan

A guy is convicted of animal cruelty for letting a pregnant mare starve to the
point where she has to be euthanized ... and he gets two days in jail and a
thousand bucks fine. As DH so aptly put it, "Makes you wish they would
euthanize some of the owners instead."

I've said it before and I will say it again people who do these things
should be released and their names,photographs and addresses should be
published along with a statement of immunity to prosecution.....Let
them live in fear I;ve no doubt the animals they abused have had
to!!!!

Its the same over here, the best result we've had recently was when
someone got a few months in jail for roasting someone else's cat alive
and that was because they could be charged with "criminal damage" as
well as animal cruelty. The commonest punishment is that a person can
be banned from having an animal(s) for anything up to life. The only
problem is I've never heard of anyone being nicked for breaking this
rule. I assume welfare shelters have a list of people but there's
nothing to stop them picking up a newspaper and replying to a "free
kittens to good homes" advert or buying from a puppy/kitten mill.

Lesley

Slave to the Fabulous Furballs (who probably currently think the SO
should be baned from keeping pets as he didn't switch the heating on
until this afternoon!)
Old February 22nd 05, 05:01 PM
Gabey8

[[I've said it before and I will say it again people who do these things
should be released and their names,photographs and addresses should be
published along with a statement of immunity to prosecution.....Let
them live in fear I;ve no doubt the animals they abused have had
to!!!!]]

I wish that every locality had the ability to prosecute animal cruelty as
a FELONY, so that the perps would do prison time if convicted.

Failing that, it's a pity that your suggestion can't be implemented. I
would HOPE that it would deter at least some of the sickos if they were
aware that they could get back the sort of suffering that they dished
out.

I have yet to get through one of the Animal Cops shows without at least
one utterance of vocabulary choices that we don't normally use in this
forum.

It's definitely nice to see when the perpetrators get convicted and go to
jail, which sometimes happens in time for them to them to include the
information in the episode. And it's wonderful to see the recovered
animals in their new, CARING and HAPPY homes.

Still... the content of those programs is definitely NOT for the
faint-hearted. (

Donna

Old February 22nd 05, 08:12 PM
KellyH

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
I am addicted to the animal "cops" shows on animal planet. They follow the
stories of animals rescued from horrible situations. Some make it; some
don't. The punishment the owner receives never seems to be enough(*).

I watched it *once* and that was enough. It was one with a home with like
100 cats in it, and a busted pit bull ring. I cried through the whole show.
I can't watch it, I'm way too emotional. I applaud Animal Planet for
putting it on and bringing animal cruelty to light. Maybe a major network
should carry it in primetime to get some more attention.
I agree, the punishments are too soft, and I'm normally a rehab over jail
type person. People who abuse animals (or other people) don't seem to
change, though.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old February 22nd 05, 09:05 PM
Melissa Houle

Monique Y. Mudama wrote in message
I am addicted to the animal "cops" shows on animal planet. They follow

the
stories of animals rescued from horrible situations. Some make it; some
don't. The punishment the owner receives never seems to be enough(*).

SNIP
A guy is convicted of animal cruelty for letting a pregnant mare starve to

the
point where she has to be euthanized ... and he gets two days in jail and

thousand bucks fine. As DH so aptly put it, "Makes you wish they would
euthanize some of the owners instead."

Too right!

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Sigh..... I know what you mean. I don't have cable TV, but a friend does,
and sometimes we watch things like Animal Precinct. I'm glad to see the
animals taken away from terrible situations and finally get the care they
need. And in the best cases, get loving new homes. I was upset on Sunday
Night as we were watching Animal Precinct, and there was some sicko person
going around in Queens, deliberately poisoning neighborhood cats. A
candidate for human Euthanization if any!

Melissa

Old February 22nd 05, 11:23 PM
Gabey8

[[Sigh..... I know what you mean. I don't have cable TV, but a friend
does,
and sometimes we watch things like Animal Precinct. I'm glad to see the
animals taken away from terrible situations and finally get the care they
need. And in the best cases, get loving new homes. I was upset on
Sunday
Night as we were watching Animal Precinct, and there was some sicko
person
going around in Queens, deliberately poisoning neighborhood cats. A
candidate for human Euthanization if any!]]

I saw that one, too! They didn't find the culprit by the time the episode
was put together, so I hope that the vermin who was guilty got caught
AFTER the show was put on the air.

A fitting fate for the person who did that would be to lock him in a room
with the at-least-20 families whose pets were lost to his malice, and let
those families do as they pleased.

God bless the animal control officers for being able to keep their tempers
in check when they're confronting the people who do these things. I don't
know how they do it, but I'm glad that SOMEONE is able to. Abusers of both
animals AND humans need to be off the streets.

Donna

Old February 23rd 05, 12:23 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-22, Gabey8 penned:

On the other hand... it IS pretty nice to see the animals re-homed with
caring people, toward the end of each episode. It's always a pleasure to see
that the animals are recovered from the injury or neglect, and now have
humans who are prepared to spoil them rotten, as they should be.

Yeah, I think this is why I like to watch.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully