Cats and getting on counter and tables -- healthy???

Old November 9th 04, 07:44 PM
rinn

they're going to get up there no matter what. I keep a bottle of clorox
wipes on my kitchen counter and use those whenever I start preparing a meal.

"Ringo Langly" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

A friend of mine moved in (first roommate in years), and with her came
two cats -- both boys, both fixed with front claws removed, one about
18 months (part simese part something else -- crosseyed) and one about
5 years old (calico and something else). Also my place is rather
large, but we keep the bedroom and bathroom doors shut when not home
so the cats don't roam where they shouldn't.

I'm generally not an animal person and never had a cat, but I figured
I'd give it a try. She and the cats moved in about 2 months ago, and
the issues I thought I'd have (cat box, smell, etc) are not issues at
all since she keeps the litter pan cleaned out and it's tucked back in
the laundry room. THe problem is the cats get on the kitchen
counters, tables, and all over the place where I didn't figure they'd
go. How healthy is this? With their paws in the litter pan then on
the counters do they track stuff everyplace? Also when cats sit do
their butts touch the counter or whatever they're on?

Sorry for the crazy questions, but though my roommate grew-up with
cats, she couldn't answer these questions. The cats get on the
counters and tables we use to fix food on and eat on, and though I've
made it a habit to clean everything before preparing foods or eating,
it just kind of grosses me out a bit. I'm generally a clean freak

Thanks for any info or suggestions... I'd prefer the cats didn't get
on the counters and tables at all - and they generally don't when
we're home - but I was off yesterday and noticed everytime I walked
into the kitchen they were lounging up there. I sprayed them with
water, tapped their head (not hard or anything), and said NO... but
didn't work.

Thanks again, and take care,

Ringo

Old November 9th 04, 07:52 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

"Barb" wrote in message
erio.net...

If
I were you I would try to accept this because as you said the cats will be
on the counters when you are not home.

I don't think the OP needs to just accept it. For every cat owner whose
cats are all over the counters there are two with cats that generally
do not do this.

Who do not do this _in front of them_.
Or, maybe they're just lazy cats.
I have one who insists on climbing all over my shelves despite my not being
very pleased about it. The other two just don't find it all that
entertaining.

The OP has taken these cats and their owner into
his home, and he does not like cats all over the counters. I don't like
it either, and it does not happen as far as I can tell.

Yeah, that's what my mom said about the cat going on tables...until she got a
glass table. She could actually SEE the paw prints on the glass.

Some cats are easily deterred from things like tinfoil or squirt bottles and
never bother to try going up there again. Others will always find a way when
your back is turned. The minute you take the foil off, they're up there
again.
MOST cats can be trained to stay off things (that is, they just don't really
bother to go up there any more). Others you'll need to use avoidance stuff
(like the tinfoil or a scat mat) forever - or until they're too old to jump
that high.

My 3 cats EAT and DRINK on the counter (their food is up there to keep it out
of reach of the dog) and I don't find cat hair in my food. So, don't take the
finding of hair or general cleanliness to be all that indicative. Cats are
naturally pretty clean animals.

~kaeli~
Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old November 9th 04, 08:19 PM
ceb

kaeli wrote in
:

Who do not do this _in front of them_.
Or, maybe they're just lazy cats.
I have one who insists on climbing all over my shelves despite my not
being very pleased about it. The other two just don't find it all that
entertaining.

Some cats aren't really climbers. Rosie has been really slow to get up on
anything including chairs, though she is doing this more recently, and
she has never shown any interest in either the kitchen counter or the
table. I think maybe she would feel too exposed up there. She is formerly
feral, though, so not typical of the average confident raised-from-a-
kitten cat... also, although she's been living with me for 8 months or
so, I think she still has personality elements that have not blossomed
fully and may do so over time.

Which is just to say she's never been on the counter, but that could
change.

(I would find it hilarious if she were going up there when I wasn't
around, but I've seen no evidence of that.)

--Catherine
& Rosalie the calicohead
Old November 9th 04, 08:35 PM
Mary

"kaeli" wrote

I don't think the OP needs to just accept it. For every cat owner whose
cats are all over the counters there are two with cats that generally
do not do this.

Who do not do this _in front of them_.
Or, maybe they're just lazy cats.

Buddha is way too fat to jump up on counters,
esp. since her thyroid treatment. However: Cheeks
never gets up on them or the tables when I am looking.
She did at first, but the "NO" thing (together with shooing)
worked. She isn't lazy, she is just polite. And she has plenty of places
she is allowed to get up in: windows with shelves. I have glass tables and
dark wood tables with
high finishes, so I can indeed see footprints when she gets up there. I have
not seen any since about a month after I got her--three years ago.

I have one who insists on climbing all over my shelves despite my not

being very pleased about it. The other two just don't find it all that
entertaining.

I just don't think your cat that "insists" would if you were consistent
about reacting with loud "NOs" accompanied by getting up as though you are
going to "get" him or her. If you did, he or she would not "insist."

The OP has taken these cats and their owner into
his home, and he does not like cats all over the counters. I don't like
it either, and it does not happen as far as I can tell.

Yeah, that's what my mom said about the cat going on tables...until she

got a glass table. She could actually SEE the paw prints on the glass.

As I mentioned above, I do have glass tables and highly
finished dark wood, so I would know. It is simply not true that cats cannot
be trained not to jump up on things, kaeli. I always suspect that those who
claim this have simply been unsuccessful at training their cats.

Some cats are easily deterred from things like tinfoil or squirt bottles

and
never bother to try going up there again. Others will always find a way

when
your back is turned. The minute you take the foil off, they're up there
again.

Maybe, I have not had lots and lots of cats, only the ones
I grew up with (maybe six total, they were "indoor/outdoor" so we did not
have them long as they all
got hit or disappeared or appeared with their guts ripped out by dogs and
died) and Gnarly, Cheeks, and Buddha. But neither my cats nor my sister's
cats nor my mother's cats climb all over and lounge on the kitchen counters.
When I see this, it is the exception not the rule, and it does gross me out.
I have alot of breakables, too, delicate glass things on marble top tables,
and with hardwood, tile, and stone floors I imagine I would know if Cheeks
were up on these. She broke one Lenox dish early on, and that was it. In
three years.

MOST cats can be trained to stay off things (that is, they just don't

really bother to go up there any more). Others you'll need to use avoidance
stuff
(like the tinfoil or a scat mat) forever - or until they're too old to

jump
that high.

Well here you seem to agree with me. So maybe the rest was a waste of
typing.

My 3 cats EAT and DRINK on the counter (their food is up there to keep it

out
of reach of the dog) and I don't find cat hair in my food. So, don't take

the
finding of hair or general cleanliness to be all that indicative. Cats are
naturally pretty clean animals.

Ahhh, I see. that is a different story, as you don't have much choice there.
I don't have dogs because my husband won't have indoor dogs and I won't
have outdoor only ones.

Old November 9th 04, 09:50 PM
ceb

"Mary" wrote in news:4S9kd.28850$YL.2728686
@twister.southeast.rr.com:

I always suspect that those who
claim this have simply been unsuccessful at training their cats.

Cat training can be pretty dicey. Rosalie, as I've said before, is
extremely sensitive and a gentle "no" and head shake is enough to deter her
from whatever objectionable thing she might be doing (like treating the
dog's plumey tail as a cat toy, for instance, which makes me laugh but
disturbs the dog somehow). But Nickleby kind of did what he wanted and it
was hard to get him to stop -- I sometimes resorted to yelling which also
did not work. I always called him "the cat with enormous self-esteem" -- he
was absolutely impervious to correction or crankiness. I might succeed in
chasing him away (from the furniture he was scratching, for example) but he
would trot right back moments later, purring and quite pleased with
himself. He felt he could do no wrong.

--Catherine
& Rosalie the calicohead
Old November 9th 04, 10:18 PM
MaryL

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
"Ringo Langly" wrote in message
om...

I believe a squirt bottle or tinfoil on the table are effective
deterrents.

Hi Bill,

I never thought about putting tinfoil or the squirt bottle on the
counter. They have learned to run when we even lift the bottle, so
that might actually work.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Ringo

Yes, but they may have learned to run *only* when you are around. My sister
once thought she had "trained" her cats to stay off the counter. Then, once
day when she was working in the yard, she looked at the house and saw one of
the cats on the counter. By the time she entered the house, the cat had run
to the other room and settled on the sofa -- looking completely innocent.

I simply wipe down the counter and table before using them.

MaryL

Old November 10th 04, 01:30 AM
Cathy Friedmann

I gave up on keeping the cat off the counters & table (breakfast nook
table - they don't generally get up onto the dining room table) years &
years ago. They're allowed in the bedrooms, too (they often like to sleep
on the beds) - but I keep the bathroom door shut - to keep them from tipping
over the bathroom wastebasket.

Cathy

Old November 10th 04, 02:31 AM
Phil P.

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

"Ringo Langly" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

A friend of mine moved in (first roommate in years), and with her came
two cats -- both boys, both fixed with front claws removed, one about
18 months (part simese part something else -- crosseyed) and one about
5 years old (calico and something else). Also my place is rather
large, but we keep the bedroom and bathroom doors shut when not home
so the cats don't roam where they shouldn't.
[snip]

I would not recommend it.

Just put the cats down when you see them on the counter and say NO! It
worked for our cat Cali, who learned to jump up when we weren't looking.

Now she's too old to jump up and the young one rarely jumps on the

table.

I believe a squirt bottle or tinfoil on the table are effective

deterrents.

Hi Bill,

I never thought about putting tinfoil or the squirt bottle on the
counter. They have learned to run when we even lift the bottle, so
that might actually work.

It will work only when you're around. All you'll be training your cats to
do is to fear you. You'll also confuse them -because when you're not around
jumping on the counter is ok.

Cats learn by association, anticipation, and observation. What you need to
do is train them by remote control, so: 1. they don't associate the
correction with you, and 2.: they don't associate the correction only with
your presence. IOW, the same thing happens when they jump on the counter
whether you're present or not.

If you want to teach a cat to stay off the counter whether you're there or
not, tape a few pieces of cardboard together for the length of the counter;
let the cardboard hang 10"-12" over the edge. Weigh down the back edge of
the cardboard with a few empty soda cans with a few coins in them. Leave
the kitchen.

When the cat jumps up on the edge of the counter she'll land on the
cardboard hanging over the edge - which will flip over and also catapult the
soda cans with coins in them into the air - that will make a racket when
they hit the floor. After the surprise of the short fall and the noise, I
don't think you'll have to worry about "cats on the counter and licken' the
spoon" (ba domp ba).

You can also try a piece of clear plastic carpet runner upside down (with
the nubs facing up). Make sure the nubs aren't too sharp (drag the runner
over concrete if they are) - Cut the runner into strips to fit the areas of
the counter where the cats jump on.

With both of these methods, the result of jumping on the counter will be
same whether you're present or not and most important - the cats won't
associate the correction with you.

Personally, I think you're overreacting - the cats sleep in your bed, right?
The cats groom their coats with their tongues, right? You pet them, right?
Do you know what else cats do with their tongues....? LOL!

Phil

Old November 10th 04, 03:46 AM
Phil P.

"Hodge" wrote in message
nk.net...
In article ,
"Phil P." wrote:

When the cat jumps up on the edge of the counter she'll land on the
cardboard hanging over the edge - which will flip over and also catapult

the
soda cans with coins in them into the air - that will make a racket when
they hit the floor.

This doesn't sound very good for the floor, however . . .

He's not trying to train the floor.... :-

I don't think a few empty soda cans falling 3' will damage the floor...
unless he lives in a house of playing cards.

Old November 10th 04, 02:41 PM
Ringo Langly

kaeli wrote in message . ..
In article ,
enlightened us with...

Sorry for the crazy questions, but though my roommate grew-up with
cats, she couldn't answer these questions. The cats get on the
counters and tables we use to fix food on and eat on, and though I've
made it a habit to clean everything before preparing foods or eating,
it just kind of grosses me out a bit. I'm generally a clean freak

Don't be a baby. If you knew how much was on your hands, clothing, bedding,
and carpet, you'd stop worrying about the cats or drop dead from shock. One
of the two.

/ You posted that greenlit thread about cat butts on Fark, didn't you?

--

Hi...

I did see the article on Fark, but I didn't post it. I can say it did
prompt the question on here -- but I've been wanting to ask it for
some time.

You're right in that there are germs everyplace, which can't be
avoided. I do however think some precausions can be taken that cut
down on the level of germs, like washing hands after using the
restroom or washing an apple before eating it. I am one of those
people who doesn't touch the public bathroom doorknob (use paper towl)
and flushes with my foot. I also wash my hands quite often -- but it
pays off because I'm rarely (if ever) sick. Having kitties in the
house is one negative to helping a friend out. Last night I did find
two piles of puke, but luckily it was on the tile foor

As for the cats on the counter, it's not only the germ factor but
several other factors. I know having cats requires some extra effort
-- like not leaving food out or things on the counters that can be
knocked over easily. I've found dishes licked clean in the sink, and
one cat even ate an entire bowl of grease drained from ground beef I
left on the counter overnight. This was all the first week after my
roommate moved in with her cats, so I've wised-up a bit and make sure
dishes get put in dishwasher and nothing is left out. I've also added
those baby latches to the cabinets on the ground level (under the sink
mainly), because I do keep stuff under there which would make the
kitties sick if they got into them.

Other folks posted the cats mainly get onto the counters when we're
away -- which is true in my case too. I'll see them on the counters
as I walk to the house (through windows) or hear them when in the
other room.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the great replies -- they have helped.
But to this post in particular, I disagree in that some level of
cleanliness can be achieved with some effort.

Ringo