Bad Neighbors & Morganna Update

Old September 26th 04, 12:13 AM

Ginger-lyn Summer wrote:

I know, Mary, and I had the phone screen interview, the adoption
agreement, and everything ready to go. This is the first time I have
tried to place a cat privately, and it was a desperate situation at
the time to get her out of here and into somewhere else temporarily.
Unfortunately, the temporary person took matters into her own hands
before I could stop her :-( If I could have kept the kitten here, it
would have gone much more the way I had planned, but that wasn't an
option. Believe me, in the future, if anything like this ever arises
again, I won't let one go without making it clear that these steps
must be taken first

Hey Ginger-Lyn - that was a hellish situation for both you and
Morganna/Tallula. I know you did the best thing you could under the
circumstances, and you most certainly saved that kitten's life. And
no matter how terrible declawing is, it's not as bad as being killed,
or slowly starving to death, or living a neglected, stressed-out
life, as she most likely would have in that horrible household.

I'm sure you know the phrase "beggars can't be choosers". Sometimes,
in desperate situations, you just have to take what's offered, even
when it's far from ideal, because it's better than the alternative.
So don't beat yourself about it. You've learned something important
and you'll be more prepared if you should ever need to place a cat
in a new home.

Purrs that you can convince Tallula's adopter not to declaw her!!

Joyce

Old September 26th 04, 02:16 AM
MaryL

"Ginger-lyn Summer" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:58:01 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

Ginger-lyn,

I know this has been a very difficult, time-consuming, and stressful
situation for you. However, in the future, please (1) get the adoptive
"parent" to sign the adoption papers, including the declaw agreement,
*before* you release a cat into their care; and (2) have a serious
discussion about declaw and make sure that there will be no

"afterthoughts"
about it -- again, *before* adoption (or fostering, if that could lead to
adoption).

MaryL

I know, Mary, and I had the phone screen interview, the adoption
agreement, and everything ready to go. This is the first time I have
tried to place a cat privately, and it was a desperate situation at
the time to get her out of here and into somewhere else temporarily.
Unfortunately, the temporary person took matters into her own hands
before I could stop her :-( If I could have kept the kitten here, it
would have gone much more the way I had planned, but that wasn't an
option. Believe me, in the future, if anything like this ever arises
again, I won't let one go without making it clear that these steps
must be taken first, whether it's to a fosterer or a prospective
adoptive parent. It just didn't dawn on me at all that a fosterer
would ever be the type to promote declawing -- I have never heard/read
of such a thing. Every fosterer I have ever known or read about is
anti-declaw. Now I know better.

We'll see what she does when I send her the material. Any purrs would
be appreciated that she signs and agrees with the anti-declaw
statement.

Ginger-lyn
Exhausted

Could you demand the return of the cat if the woman will not sign adoption
papers that include a no-declaw provision (or even if you suspect that she m
ay not abide by the agreement)? If a temporary person took matters into her
own hands and released the cat without your permission, then the transfer
may have been illegal. A foster parent does not have legal custody of the
cat (just as a foster parent for a human baby cannot legally make a decision
concerning an adoptive parent). That cat was not hers to "give away."

MaryL

Old September 26th 04, 02:45 AM
CatNipped

Ginger, if you can bear it, print the pictures on this page, or ask the lady
to go to this link, to show her exactly what a declawing procedure involves.
I don't know anyone who could look at these and still have a cat declawed -
and if anyone could, I would *not* want them to have a cat.

WARNING *VERY* GRAPHIC PICTURES OF AN ACTUAL DECLAWING - DO *NOT* VIEW THIS
PAGE IS YOU HAVE A SENSITIVE NATURE (I COULDN'T LOOK AT IT MYSELF)...

http://declaw.lisaviolet.com/declawpics.html

Hugs,

CatNipped