an odd question but...

Old February 13th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

Default an odd question but...

I hope you washed your hands good, Lee
Granby wrote in message
I had a friend, years ago, who was saying she was about to be homeless.

Two weeks after she told me that, I went to visit her. We talked and she
asked me what I would do in her situation. We did an inventory that went
something like this.

A stereo system that would make any geek on that sort of thing envious.

Furniture that was probably worth a few hundred bucks. A small apartment
size piano.

Five diamond rings and other jewelry.
So on and so on........

She said,"If I sell all this and things get better then I will have

nothing.
I told her she would have her cat and dog.

To her the idea of not having a cell phone, land line, cable and net

service
was our of the question.

I finally shook her hand, wished her luck and never bothered her again.

She
got rid of the animals, to cut expenses, That was about all she did except
get a new boyfriend with money.
"Stormmee" wrote in message
well I have been sort of obsessing on this because like Jo I think once
you
accept a being into your family then they are family and must be cared
for...so if you are homeless then for me at least I would keep them with
me
as long as I could, Lee, ... must admit it would probably be one duffel
for
me and DH to share and one for the masters,
kilikini wrote in message
Oh my gosh, I actually had a visual on that! ROFL.

kili

Stormmee wrote:
if you could get two of those rolling boards that you work under cars
on, tie them together and then attach the kennels and a handle you
can pull them behind you if need be, a duffle bag on top for your
things, perhaps two could take you quite a ways, Lee
kilikini wrote in message
Stormmee wrote:
I know we have discussed in the past what happens to your cats and
other animals if you go to the bridge, but how about this one...
what happens if you are to soon be homeless, especially for lack of
funds to maintain your current living accommodations?

other questions that occurred to me on this topic.

What would you sell to keep the house/apartment?

what would you move to to keep them?

would you be homeless with them?

Lee

I've been homeless with a d*g before, so I'm sure I'd do the same
with my cats. It can be done. I currently don't have a car, don't
have anything to sell, I have no bank account or credit cards, but I
have two large kennels that would help "house" my critters in such
an emergency. I got them at a yard sale for about $5 each and I
think a d*g of 150 pounds would fit in both of them, so 3 cats,
separated, would be fine with litter in a cake pan.

You can get creative when you have to. :~)

kili

Old February 13th 08, 04:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K.

mlbriggs kirjoitti:

I am trying to remember the words to an old song. Does anyone remember
"Accentuate the positive .........??the negative.....don't mess with Mr.
Inbetween"? MLB

Here you go:
http://www.lyricsdepot.com/Johnny-me...-positive.html

--
Christine in Laitila, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old February 13th 08, 05:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 06:05:02 +0200, Christine K. wrote:

mlbriggs kirjoitti:

I am trying to remember the words to an old song. Does anyone remember
"Accentuate the positive .........??the negative.....don't mess with Mr.
Inbetween"? MLB

Here you go:
http://www.lyricsdepot.com/Johnny-me...-positive.html

Thank you so much. Good idea, don't you agree? MLB
Old February 13th 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

mlbriggs wrote:

I am trying to remember the words to an old song. Does anyone remember
"Accentuate the positive,

ELIMINATE the negative,
LATCH ONTO THE AFFIRMATIVE, AND
don't mess with Mr.
Inbetween"?

Old February 14th 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 12:48:46 -0600, "Stormmee"
wrote:

well I have been sort of obsessing on this because like Jo I think once you
accept a being into your family then they are family and must be cared
for...so if you are homeless then for me at least I would keep them with me
as long as I could, Lee, ... must admit it would probably be one duffel for
me and DH to share and one for the masters,

To me, our cats are our responsibility... it's our job to keep them
happy, housed, healthy and fed in the style to which they were quite
happy to become accustomed (ie. spoilt rotten!). If for some reason we
coudln't give them a safe and secure home any more, I'd have to rehome
them for their sakes, because their health and happiness matters more
to me than my own. They're not street-smart and I'd hate to think of
what might happen to them if they had to live rough... (if we had a
van or a caravan or a trailer it would be different - a home doesn't
have to be conventional, it just has to have four walls and a roof and
doors that close properly... cats don't need a lot of space to be
happy.)

I saw a car parked in a carpark a few months ago which was packed to
the gunwhales with stuff... and two dogs on the front seat and a
ginger cat in a carrier in the back, all apparantly quite at home and
relaxed. The owner was obviously either in the process of moving
house, or living in the car (and I suspect the latter.) I don't know
how you'd manage it with three animals - it doesn't seem very fair to
them to me - but the dogs didn't seem to mind...
Old February 14th 08, 03:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

I think the van/camper is the key to me, since we have a van it never
occurred to me that we wouldn't have it, being totally without
transportation or shelter for them might cause me to reconsider, Lee

Old February 14th 08, 01:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bridget[_2_]

At one point in my life, about 10 years ago, I was homeless for about a
year. No address, people taking me in, running from a psychotic former
roommate and dealing with being newly diagnosed bipolar and unable to
work. For about 6 weeks, I was unable to keep Tony, I was able to board
him for a couple of weeks until I found a friend who wanted him - she
loved him to death as a kitten and would do anything to get her hands on
him. She was perfect. And when I found a someone would give me long-term
housing with them, they let me bring along Tony. My friend was glad to
give him up by that time because he was driving her nuts!

Bridget

Old February 14th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ChildFree23

I currently live with my parents, and will be doing so until I've saved
enough money for my own apartment -- and don't let anyone tell you that
southeastern Florida is affordable (it isn't). My parents have told my
sister, who's planning to move back to the Midwest with her boyfriend, and
me the same thing: If you ever fall on hard times, we'll always have room
to take you back.

When I move out, I do plan to take Lilith with me but only to a place that
allows small pets and doesn't have too much of a "pet fee." Also, the
prospective leasing agent must allow cats with their claws intact, because I
absolutely WILL NOT declaw Lilith.

Uh, did I go off topic again?

Debby

Old February 14th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

its good that you have a fall back position, as I think most of us do, and
if it were really bad I could foster my cats with my parents, as long as my
sister fed them and they stayed in the basement, My dad is ER room
allergic... I just started thinking about this as a bit of obsessing, Lee,
who wouldn't declaw either, not for somewhere to sleep

Question for all Granby Cat community 33 September 7th 07 04:50 PM
Cat Collar Question / Cat harness question Suzanne via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 1 May 8th 05 07:27 AM
New cat question & weight question ElvisRocks Cat health & behaviour 6 April 1st 05 08:22 AM
Question Yoj Cat anecdotes 28 November 6th 04 09:58 AM
a serious question Heather-SCOTGIRL Cat health & behaviour 18 February 17th 04 10:39 AM